Notices

top end upgrade choices

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default top end upgrade choices

Well the boost bug bit me again, although im not sure if it ever let go and I am looking at upgrading my top end. I figured It would be a easiest to ask all my questions here instead of a million different threads.

right now i am running an Eagle/Vitara bottom end D16z6 with a stock head. using a Garrett T3/T4 57 Trim .63 a/r. 450 cc injectors, 2.5 inch piping and intercooler yayd yada. let me know if you need any other info on my set up.

Currently i am running 15 psi and probably 275 hp tuned by me on crome pro. After upgrading the head, intake manifold, throttle body and turbo manifold I want to hit 400hp. This is a DD but I do like to bring it to the drag strip, so the focus is mostly on a good usable power band for the strip, and im not really worried about spool time. i want to do this right like i did my bottom end, I want to get good parts that will work well for my goals and as always not break the bank.

I guess the easiest way for me to ask my questions would be to number them:

1: What intake manifold, I was going to go with the skunk 2. I know they are not the greatest quality, but it seems to provide decent results for those who run it.

2: Throttle body: What size should i be looking at? My charge piping is 2.5 inches so that translates to 63.5mm. I don't know to much about TB sizing and i don't know if there are benefits to going much larger then your piping. I mean obviously the plate and pin cause a restriction even at WOT, but when am I going to see the point of diminishing returns when going to the next biggest size? What about tapered TB's I see some TB that have quite a big taper, that obviously increases air velocity, but in a boosted app does that really matter as much as N/A?

3: The other side of the equation, Turbo manifold. I currently have a cast manifold, I bought it because of the durability and it flows better then a log. i want to upgrade to either a min-ram or a full ram horn. Both seem like good options and work well, and the better spool with the mini ram might be nice, and I really don't think i am going to be revving up so high that i will really see the benefits of the longer runners on the full ram. Any opinions or suggestions for which to get and or what brands are a good option?

4:Cam. There are a lot of different types and brands out there and they do get a little confusing. I know from others experiences that this is something you definitely do not want to skimp on. i have heard good things about the zex 59300 cam for similar setups, and there is also the Crower 63441ZT forced induction special. i would like to reve up to maybe 8000 or so, nothing crazy. What do you d series guys use?

5: What valves, springs and retainers should I be looking at? i have heard all kinds of things a bout certain manufacturers in for b-series, but I don't know what is good/bad for the d-series.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, any help or recommendations are appreciated.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: top end upgrade choices

Any help with this stuff? even if its just an answer for one of the questions, any help is appreciated.