Notices

THROTTLE BODY EXPERTS

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 10:19 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default THROTTLE BODY EXPERTS

I need to upgrade from my crappy omni power throttle body.

It fucken stick all the time and I can't get it to rest consistantly

Any tricks to fixing a sticking throttle body?

What other options are reliable, solid, trust worthy buy once never worry about again?
Old 08-28-2014, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: THROTTLE BODY EXPERTS

does the cable move in both directions freely?
Old 08-28-2014, 11:27 AM
met
Honda-Tech Member

I have no experience with the omni power tb however, have half shafted bored and modified many stock units. Assuming you don't have a sticky cable. Most Honda shafts are weak and have a bit of torsional flex to them, most of the time when the throttle plate digs into the aluminum it wedges makes it stick to add if the shaft is twisting it adds to the problem. Solution, ensure good clean and lightly oiled bearings, can be testing by opening and closing by hand and feel. If that checks out, then adjust the screw that controls the closing of the throttle body. When adjusted right there will be NO sticking but if light is shined through most of the light will be blocked. Once that is set you need to adjust the idle screw, there is a procedure in the Honda manual. Its something like discontent the iac valve and adjust the screw so the car idles at 650. If you car has after market cams just do you're best to get in the ball park. Hope this helps some!
Old 08-28-2014, 11:59 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by sleepencivic
does the cable move in both directions freely?
On my ems I see it rest at 0.9 and if depress the pedal smoooth to 35 percent and return to idle it sticks at 2.5 and I have to give it a quick press to close at 0.9 the entire range is smooth besides this part. At idle
Old 08-28-2014, 12:01 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by met
I have no experience with the omni power tb however, have half shafted bored and modified many stock units. Assuming you don't have a sticky cable. Most Honda shafts are weak and have a bit of torsional flex to them, most of the time when the throttle plate digs into the aluminum it wedges makes it stick to add if the shaft is twisting it adds to the problem. Solution, ensure good clean and lightly oiled bearings, can be testing by opening and closing by hand and feel. If that checks out, then adjust the screw that controls the closing of the throttle body. When adjusted right there will be NO sticking but if light is shined through most of the light will be blocked. Once that is set you need to adjust the idle screw, there is a procedure in the Honda manual. Its something like discontent the iac valve and adjust the screw so the car idles at 650. If you car has after market cams just do you're best to get in the ball park. Hope this helps some!
The omni power is ghey and doesn't have a idle adjust screw. The idle is ajusted by the set screw for the plate holding it just open. I can't leave it closed all the way because the iacv doesn't bypass enough air for cold starts.

I will try to oil the bearings.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe this will help you:

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showpo...05&postcount=8
Old 08-28-2014, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is it sticking just when closed? My STR used to stick and I had to adjust the throttle plate set screw. Car would also run shitty when plate was stuck and when it was hot restart. Adjusted that and it fixed both issues.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:43 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by Black R
Can't see the pics on my phone ill have to check when I get home.

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS
Is it sticking just when closed? My STR used to stick and I had to adjust the throttle plate set screw. Car would also run shitty when plate was stuck and when it was hot restart. Adjusted that and it fixed both issues.
If I rev the motor to 3000rpm slowly and let off it stays stuck at 2 percent throttle. Ill then need to "blip" the throttle quickly to get it back to 0.9 percent throttle.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

i had to sand the plate on mine years ago. had to lightly touch my alpha 70mm
Old 08-28-2014, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If it's sticking like that you can try sand in the palate or the opening a little bit or just replace it

Is the plate binding or the spring or the throttle cable ?
Old 08-29-2014, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine isn't omnipower however when my 70mm was new it would do the same thing. I used to have to give the throttle a quick snap to get it to close all the way. In my case the spring was binding and I was able to lube it and work the throttle back and forth, it seemed to help as it's consistent now. I noticed after about 3 weeks the spring seemed less stiff...or maybe I just adapted to it.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:01 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I just thought about it and I remember taking the throttle body apart to paint it. It worked fine before that. Then it started sticking lol

Idk if I take it apart what should I look for? They're pretty simple to take apart and put back together. Is there a specific way to do it?
Old 08-29-2014, 04:02 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by 95accordCE6
Mine isn't omnipower however when my 70mm was new it would do the same thing. I used to have to give the throttle a quick snap to get it to close all the way. In my case the spring was binding and I was able to lube it and work the throttle back and forth, it seemed to help as it's consistent now. I noticed after about 3 weeks the spring seemed less stiff...or maybe I just adapted to it.
I'm gonna check the spring today and see what I can find. It gets annoying tuning idle and forgetting this thing doesn't always rest right.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It was a pain for me to calibrate the tps and set idle, plus I had an issue with the idle screw loosening on my way home...it's not so cool sitting at a red light with the car idling at 2k straight piped with 3 cops parked across the street lol. They are pretty simple though, maybe painting it changed the clearance between the plate rod and the throttle body itself so a bit of lubrication could do wonders
Old 08-29-2014, 04:14 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

It was a pain for me to calibrate the tps and set idle, plus I had an issue with the idle screw loosening on my way home...it's not so cool sitting at a red light with the car idling at 2k straight piped with 3 cops parked across the street lol. They are pretty simple though, maybe painting it changed the clearance between the plate rod and the throttle body itself so a bit of lubrication could do wonders
Haha that's the worst man.

The only time I would drive open downpipe I would pass by cops the whole time or something stupid would happen.

I'm gonna tear it apart like its a carb and clean it all out lol
Old 08-29-2014, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

After 3 tickets I gave up on it and put a muffler on, v6 sounded so good though :/ but good luck, post up results
Old 08-29-2014, 07:42 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

alright guys whattay think? I took it off. I loosened the screws for the plate and snapped it shut a few times and felt a lot better but would still get stuck a little bit. so I shined some light through it and this is what I see.
Attached Images   
Old 08-29-2014, 07:43 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

looks like the plate or throttle body isn't a perfect circle so it gets snagged on the larger sides
Old 08-30-2014, 04:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you loosen the screws, can you get enough play to move the plate a little so it doesnt hit?
Old 08-30-2014, 06:26 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Yeah I loosened the screw that hold the plate to the shaft. Snapped it closed a few times till it felt ok then tightned them. Still snags a little.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hopefully it helps a bit...kinda glad i didnt buy that brand now
Old 08-30-2014, 06:37 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Hopefully it helps a bit...kinda glad i didnt buy that brand now
Yeah the pix I posted show gaps on the opposite ends of the plate like its an oval shap. Idk why its like that
Old 08-30-2014, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My last resort if you cant return it would be to use an angle grinder and just take a hair off and keep test fitting it. I cant believe they made it like that, i mean a slight gap when the idle screw is adjusted is normal but all the way closed almost flush
Old 08-30-2014, 06:57 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

My last resort if you cant return it would be to use an angle grinder and just take a hair off and keep test fitting it. I cant believe they made it like that, i mean a slight gap when the idle screw is adjusted is normal but all the way closed almost flush
Lol ur tripping. I'm not using an angle grinder on this
Old 08-30-2014, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Omni 70mm throttle body also and I hate it. It doesn't matter how many times I play around with the screw it still sticks. It's been cleaned out several times and still does the same thing. I'll press down on the gas, quick delay then buck hard. At idle the car will rev up and down like its surging but I have no leaks. I'm on the hunt for a OEM GSR/ITR

Quick Reply: THROTTLE BODY EXPERTS