Notices

Those using Zip's SMC Product ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 05:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those using Zip's SMC Product ?'s

Howdy, I've got a GSR with 82k supercharged miles (running 9psi) and thought it might be fun to pull out my old Cartech FMU and try the SMC 500. I was gonna go hondata but I've lost most interest in my integra and don't really want to spend 600 bucks on it, I've already got the RC 440's and conversion harness, need the P28 and S200.

I was hoping I could get a feel for how easy the SMC is to tune on the street, if dyno tuning is a must, and if there are any problems I should look out for.

Thanks!
Old 07-20-2004, 06:24 AM

Default Re: Those using Zip's SMC Product ?'s (CROM)

http://www.ecimulti.org/uberdata
Old 07-20-2004, 07:10 AM

Default Re: Those using Zip's SMC Product ?'s (hoggy)

Bump...

Thanks for the link but I don't want to bother with Uberdata. I need something quick and easy to do.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:12 AM

bump
Old 07-20-2004, 10:20 AM

I would really suggest looking into it. Running the hack on JRSC doesn't sound too delightful to me. With the timing problems caused by the hack and the heat introduced by the blower with no means of intercooling, quick and simple just isn't best. Get a chipped ecu and a burner and you won't regret it or end up with a blown up motor.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:39 AM

What timing issues are you talking about with the SMC? My GSR has 97,000 miles on it, and 83,000 of those are supercharged so by no means am I new to this or going to allow my car to die because the blower makes too much heat. The heat introduced is nothing new and has not been an issue. I have always had a timing controller as well (via JR BTC)

I was just looking for a bit of info on the SMC. I was close to going with a hondata in the winter but bought my Viper instead and have since lost most interest in my GSR. It gets my *** to work and that is it. I have been getting some indications that my Cartech FMU is going out and wanted something to replace it with, without spending too much time or money on it.

If the SMC has been known to cause problems, then I will not get one, which is the reason I started this post. Call me lazy, or maybe I just dont care, but Uberdata doesn't seem to be my cup of tea. I want plug and play, not something I am going to have to do myself and spend many hours tweaking/burning/etc.

Thanks for your input
Old 07-21-2004, 03:50 AM

bump
Old 07-21-2004, 08:25 AM

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=841443

That post by J. Davis explains the ignition problems with the SMC/the hack, same thing. You JR BTC will only aid you in retarding timing under boost which does not solve the timing problems created by the smc since the main problems are low boost and high vacuum under partial throttle. Your best bet may be to get another FMU since you don't want to spend time on the car have someone program an ecu with uberdata with a basemap and take it somewhere to be tuned. You may be fine to drive on a basemap, but getting it tuned would be best since there aren't a lot of people using uberdata w/JRSC (ie no good basemaps for JRSCed cars).
Old 07-21-2004, 09:39 AM

Thanks for the reply again,

Sounds like some have had issues with the hack. I've also read a lot of positive posts about it. I would like to get Zip's opinion on this though. For the past 6 or so years I have messaged Zip from time to time about various things and he has always been helpful.

I am going to isolate this problem and hopefully it's not the FMU. I changed my blower belt on sunday (about the 6th time I have done it, it takes me like 10 minutes now) and I put my stock muffler back on. I also messed with my boost gauge for a moment but didn't disconnect anything. Now, at very light throttle cruising (3500rpm, 5th gear, like 5-10% throttle) my car runs into the Red (lean) and just kinda pauses, I have to blip the throttle for it to go back to normal. The car has never done this before. its almost like the computer is pulling all fuel out. Perhaps a simple ECU reset would cure this problem.

I wouldn't think having my belts too tight would cause this problem or having a small vac leak..as I would think a small vac leak would be noticeable in my idle and performance throughout the power band. Regardless, im gonna go back and check all the belt tensions and redo my boost gauge line.

Believe it or not, this wouldn't be the first time the car came down with a problem completely unrelated to the work just done on it.

Modified by CROM at 2:42 PM 7/21/2004