Notices

Thinking of going TURBO but what first?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of going TURBO but what first?

I was recently thinking of going turbo (not sure of which one yet) and im curious what i should do to my engine before i turbocharge it? Im currently using a B18C (JDM Type-R not GSR, some will think it is GSR ) with only I/H/E. Please list any mods that should be done in order before turbo installation.
Thnaks!
Old 02-17-2004, 07:55 PM

Default Re: Thinking of going TURBO but what first? (JDM2NR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM2NR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was recently thinking of going turbo (not sure of which one yet) and im curious what i should do to my engine before i turbocharge it? Im currently using a B18C (JDM Type-R not GSR, some will think it is GSR ) with only I/H/E. Please list any mods that should be done in order before turbo installation.
Thnaks! </TD></TR></TABLE>

mods, only one i can say u should do for now is a strong *** clutch ... do a compression test..

Old 02-17-2004, 07:57 PM

https://honda-tech.com/zerosearch

Start there and after some reseach you should get an idea of a good setup.

Then ask away
Old 02-17-2004, 07:57 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

First, sit on the idea for a little bit. If you're just now thinking of going turbo, spend the next few months reading as much as you can and learning about what, why, and how turbos work. Next, set goals...how much HP do you want to run, how much money can you spend [often the two biggest questions]. Then lay out everything you'll need and make up a budget and start stocking up parts. I made the decision to go turbo about 2 years ago, and for the past 6 months I have actually been buying parts, and within the next two months, I will be driving my turbocharged civic.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:01 PM

Default Re: Thinking of going TURBO but what first? (DaX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">First, sit on the idea for a little bit. If you're just now thinking of going turbo, spend the next few months reading as much as you can and learning about what, why, and how turbos work. Next, set goals...how much HP do you want to run, how much money can you spend [often the two biggest questions]. Then lay out everything you'll need and make up a budget and start stocking up parts. I made the decision to go turbo about 2 years ago, and for the past 6 months I have actually been buying parts, and within the next two months, I will be driving my turbocharged civic.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i would have to say this is the best answer

it took me a while before i was fully ready to decide to go with it...then spent countless hours here learning, reading, searching for every bit of info i could get my brain in on and now ive learned so much about how my set will run etc...
Old 02-17-2004, 08:03 PM

Default Re: Thinking of going TURBO but what first? (DaX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">First, sit on the idea for a little bit. If you're just now thinking of going turbo, spend the next few months reading as much as you can and learning about what, why, and how turbos work. Next, set goals...how much HP do you want to run, how much money can you spend [often the two biggest questions]. Then lay out everything you'll need and make up a budget and start stocking up parts. I made the decision to go turbo about 2 years ago, and for the past 6 months I have actually been buying parts, and within the next two months, I will be driving my turbocharged civic.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Appreciate the help and everything but im curious on what mods would the engine need in order for it too handle the turbo w/o f'ing up my engine? Like UNIT said i needed a strong *** clutch, but i mean anything internally to the enginge or u think the B18C should do fine as it is now?
Old 02-17-2004, 08:06 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

With proper engine management, the b18c should be capable of 10 or more psi on a stock bottom end. you will need larger injectors, and definately a good EMS.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This link single-handedly makes Honda-tech the coolest site on the net:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=268110
Old 02-18-2004, 04:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thinking of going TURBO but what first? (rhettster)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rhettster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This link single-handedly makes Honda-tech the coolest site on the net:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=268110</TD></TR></TABLE>

Agreed! That thread is awesome!