Notices

Thermal Wrap good enough?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 02:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermal Wrap good enough?

I have my wastegate facing forward directly towards both AC lines. I have absolutely no room. Until i can find a way to run a dump tube, im gonna have to run it this way. If i wrap the lines with thermal wrap couple times, will it be okay?

How are you guys running a dump tube, with stock AC fans? It right up against the damn thing. Theres maybe an inch to work with. I will have to do a crazy tight bend and fabrication to get a dumptube in. How freely does the exhaust have to flow out? cause im gonna have to crush bend or something.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:28 AM
fjt
Honda-Tech Member

You will need a thin push fan so you can install it on the other side of the condensator(behind bumper..and you have the space to run the dump tube..

Dont run the WG w/o the dump tube..Gasses exiting there are just too hot and they will start melting stuff
Old 02-10-2005, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fjt)

i wish i would of known all this before the install. I am NOT taking the manifold DP and all that **** off again. Ill just run it open for now...

But will the thermal wrap be good enough?
Old 02-10-2005, 06:27 AM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (1SlowSi)

Yes but it will certainly melt your fans and maybe even your radiator Its hot, hot, hot and spicy!
Im working on a kit to relocation that upper AC line. You have a Si right?
Old 02-10-2005, 06:51 AM

Default Re: (Muckman)

Is there really any noticable diff. in performance and under the hood temp from wrapping the dump tube and down pipe?
Old 02-10-2005, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hyaboosta)

Are you saying it will melt the fan and radiator quick? LIke in a day or so? Ive seen so many people run an open wastegate with no problems, but maybe they used the extension and had it face down in the engine bay.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:27 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We're talking about exhaust temps that can be close to 1000* F. If it was blowing directly on the fan, Id say one boost run could melt it. If it wasn't as direct maybe a few days, depends on how close it is.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Muckman)

its pointing directly at the AC lines.. not the fan it self. Hell... ill even cover up the fan with thermal wrap.. its not like i use the AC anyways.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:03 AM
fjt
Honda-Tech Member

Dude..I know someone that completelly lost his WRX cause he ran an open wastegate(no dumptube),shop mistake..BIG Mistake, so his fusebox underhood caught fire and ALL the car burned...

Yes the exhaust wrap does makes a difference..Im my particular case the Dump tube and Downpipe are close to the Radiator so it heak soake so much that my car overheated even when not on boost.. I wrapped the DP and dump tube in exhaust wrap and problem solved.It hasnt overheated again.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:53 AM

Like said above, the thermal wrap keeps heat-soak to a lower level. It will not protect your rad/condenser and lines from the direct exhaust heat. Even if you just re-locate the tube that will make a world of differance.

Also consider tha hte exhaust vents and is the sucked right back up by the intake.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:06 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1SlowSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are you saying it will melt the fan and radiator quick? LIke in a day or so? Ive seen so many people run an open wastegate with no problems, but maybe they used the extension and had it face down in the engine bay.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok, a little information on the thermowrap and an open dump tube pointing twords the A/C lines. Yes thermal wrap will help protect your A/C lines but only for so long, the function of thermo wrap is to contain the heat within the pipes and to reduce the Radiant Heat given off by the manifold and or turbo.
To protect those hoses around the heat source from radiant heat, a product called the reflective thermo sleeves. The shiny foil like outside of the sleeve act like a mirror to refelect away the radiant heat.

Your situation you will want to correct your wastegate situation as soon as possible. I can bet you that you willl be melting the A/C lines as well as the Hood release cable, Those items were not designed to withstand a direct blast of super hot exhaust. Yes wraping the a/c lines will help you extend the ammount of time it takes for that stuff to get ruunined but why chance it.

I have used and believe in the thermo wrap products. I wraped my manifold, collector, turbo and DP. My underhood temps went WAY Down. Also i can make a blast down the 1/4 mile and when im done i can touch the manifold for a second or two without getting burned. Try that on a non wraped manifold.

Look here for pics of my setup with the manifold, ac lines, and wastegate hoses wrapped. http://www.one-fab.com/images/jaycivic/index.php Also the pictures with the wastegate were taken before i installed the dumptube, i installed it before i ever ran the car due to how close the wastegate is to the condenser.

Hope this clears your questions up.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fipracing_com)

okay, so i ordered the wrong one. I was looking for the silver one, but damn i only got the freakin white stuff. Thermal Wrap. Ehhh! well, im sure it will go OKAY for now. There NO WAY that i can fit a dump tube i there. The AC fan is in the way. i am NOT going to take all that **** off again.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:24 AM

Look at my pictures in the link and you will see that i had to relocate the condensor fan to the front side right behind the intercooler.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i know what ill have to do. Do i want to? NO. I wont know what to do now. whats the difference in the the wraps? I bought the white thermal wrap. I was actually looking for the silver reflective wrap.

Like this http://www.startinglineproduct...=info

Modified by 1SlowSi at 1:52 PM 2/11/2005
Old 02-11-2005, 04:35 AM
fjt
Honda-Tech Member

Will wraping the Manifold screw it? Mine is a lovefab Manifold and i havent wrap it cause im afraing the wrap will make the pipes look like trash.. It shouldnt rust, right? since its stainless steel..
Old 02-11-2005, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fjt)

i just looked at my clearances. Yeah right. There is absolutely no room for any tube, flange, bend nothing! The only thing i can do is put in a thinner fan. I cant put it on the other side because the IC is in the way. I need a fan that will give me about 2" more space. is there one?
Old 02-11-2005, 05:19 AM

Use an FAL-125 pusher fan. and install it like i did on my setup, It is TIGHT but it fits.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think i got it! Lemme ask you something. If i wrap those AC lines a few times with my thermal wrap, you think ill be safe for about 2 weeks? Im gonna go ahead and pull out the AC fan and buy a pusher fan. The only problems li see with this. the bottom of my IC and also a thin silver rod going across the front. When you mount a new thin fan, what do you screw into?
Old 02-11-2005, 05:25 AM

No screws. Just use some long ZIP ties. You will see holes that will almost lineup with the mouting holes on the fan. Pull them as tight as possible till the fan has just enought clearance in front of the silver ac line. Mine has approx 3 to 4mm clearance between the silver ac line and the fan.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you got a PM... and hey does the bottom of your IC go inward slightly? mine does.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:35 AM

My intercooler goes inward slightly as well probally at about at 10 degree slope or less.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is mine.
http://sohchonda.com/ipw-web/gallery/album14
Old 02-11-2005, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ladysman)

i didnt buy the right wrap man. I got the white thermal wrap. Could i still use that? Where did you guys buy your reflective wrap?
Old 02-11-2005, 07:39 AM

iam confused why don't you just ride around like a normal car and not get to full boost. i have a big turbo and i can do that all the time and go faster than traffic.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (incredteg3)

problem solved... 95%.. haha, I just took that bastard *** AC fan out of there. Im not gonna be using AC for a while anyways. Now i have room and love it. I used that 90 degree elbow that came with my my revhard manifold, so now the exhaust points down. Im still going to wrap my Ac lines. My IC is exactly 1 foot from the wg. Should i wrap the IC in that section too?

Quick Reply: Thermal Wrap good enough?