Notices

system to lean or too rich (code 45) and some more

Old 04-06-2003, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default system to lean or too rich (code 45) and some more

I am having a problem w/ my turbocharged gsr in my civic. It is a complete stock motor except a inline pro headgasket. I have 99 civic ex w/ 01 gsr motor
Precision 60wheel/.63 a/r
log style manifold
2.5 inch dwnp w/ 3inch exhaust (mandrel bent) No cat
stock injectors
b16 ecu
inlinepro headgasket
inlinepro cam gears
vt fmu 12:1
v-afc
msd sci w/ blaster ss and msd wires
tial 35mm wastegate

The problem I am having is my car will ride strong as hell for a while then all of the sudden my a/f gauge stops working (stays in lean) and throughs code 45(system to lean or too rich) and a code 67(catalylic system, I have no cat). When my gauge stops working my car rides like straight ****, until i change the o2 sensor. When i change the o2 sensor it rides strong as hell for about a week until the same thing happens again. Also sometimes my car throughs a cylinder position code, too but not always. I am running 9psi, too. Also I have a obd1 gsr ecu w/ the adapter and the same thing happen w/ that ecu but when my gauge stop working the car was almost undriveable. The car would shut off all the time and buck like a bitch. Some people says its my o2 sensor but that doesnt make sense for the same thing to happen more than twice. Some people say its my distributor. I have no fuckling clue anymore. Can somebody give me some ideas
Old 04-06-2003, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: system to lean or too rich (code 45) and some more (1fastgsrturbo)

Have you checked your sparkplugs?

I would think 9psi is too much for stock injectors, probably running too lean....

Also if you have richened the RPM range with the VAFC it's possible at certain psi you may run rich, but I would think past 6-7psi on the stock injectors you may be leaning out....

Just my .02 cents..

Maybe someone else can give you some other opinions/advice..

Old 04-06-2003, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: system to lean or too rich (code 45) and some more (1fastgsrturbo)

i am running 9psi b/c that is what lb spring came with my wastegate. That does make sense what you said b/c when i had everything the same but stock headgasket and a 50 trim turbo @6-7psi the car never had any problems, but my boost controller was starting to make me overboost to like 10psi so i just took it off and hooked it up straight to the wastegate. Also my plugs are reading lean but my autometer gauges used to say my **** was rich. wtf