Notices

SVE 3 Bar Map Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SVE 3 Bar Map Sensor

Ok, so I was checking into a 3 Bar MAP for my turbo setup and came across the SVE 3 Bar MAP sensor at Tunertoys.com. It looks exactly the same as the GM 3 Bar and the MSD Compact style 3 Bar.

I'm going to be running this on a P28 w/ Hondata S300, I was told I'd need to know the calibrations for the new MAP sensor. Does anyone know what that really means? I asked Tunertoys.com if it would work with Hondata which it claims it will and they sent me the instruction sheet via e-mail. The only thing it says was something about voltage between two of the three wires. No calibrations were listed.

Anyone have any experience with this particular MAP sensor? and/or calibrating a aftermarket MAP sensor on S300?

Any help is appreciated, Thanks.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:01 AM

Default Re: SVE 3 Bar Map Sensor (h22sedan)

I have it the SVE 3 bar on my car. I never quite understood the instructions. I just installed it by splicing into the wires from the stock MAP and running them into the 3 BAR. The instructions say that you're suppose to use a voltmeter and check the voltage on the stock map and set it the same way on the 3 bar. I didn't do that I just installed it and it works fine. I'm not running hondata though. I have AEM EMS and no problems so far with it.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've read that you SHOULD NOT run this map sensor with the S300. Maybe things have changed, but I'd do a search first.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: SVE 3 Bar Map Sensor (Sprockets)

its the same as the gm to my understanding.

ive run it for 10k miles and had no problems. took it off to sell my car and plan on using it on my next setup
Old 12-03-2006, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SVE 3 Bar Map Sensor (blackeg)

I think I'm going to give it a shot. I've got another question though.

Even though you're running a 3 Bar MAP sensor, I know the stock ECU will probably **** it's pants and flood the engine with fuel after it see more than like 2 psi of boost. Right?

When I install my kit, I have to drive the car to Indianapolis to have my S300 ECU installed and tuned from a shop up there. Is there anyway I can run some sort of check valve or anything so that if the car should see a few pounds of boost it won't through a CEL??

I figure I'll just richen it up with the VAFC just so it has enough fuel to safely drive that far.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by h22sedan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think I'm going to give it a shot. I've got another question though.

Even though you're running a 3 Bar MAP sensor, I know the stock ECU will probably **** it's pants and flood the engine with fuel after it see more than like 2 psi of boost. Right?

When I install my kit, I have to drive the car to Indianapolis to have my S300 ECU installed and tuned from a shop up there. Is there anyway I can run some sort of check valve or anything so that if the car should see a few pounds of boost it won't through a CEL??

I figure I'll just richen it up with the VAFC just so it has enough fuel to safely drive that far.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The resolutions are completely different. If you make it to a stop light, let us know.
Really, it is so easy to install, just wire the harness into the stock map harness and drive there with your stock map sensor. Then just plug it in and mount it.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SVE 3 Bar Map Sensor (ladysman)

So if I hook up the 3 Bar MAP the car won't run on the stock ECU?
Old 12-03-2006, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by h22sedan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So if I hook up the 3 Bar MAP the car won't run on the stock ECU?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not without the hondata you speak of, no. It may start but it will run like **** and you will probably do more harm that good.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SVE 3 Bar Map Sensor (ladysman)

K, well I'll just install it when I get there. From the looks of it, I'd say it takes about 10 minutes?

Ok so if I'm on the stock MAP and stock ECU is there anyway I can run it so that if it accidentally see's boost it won't throw a CEL?
My car runs about 3500 to 4000rpm at cruising speed in 5th gear on the interstate, I expect it would have started building boost by then.

Can't you use some sort of check valve on the vacuum line that goes to the MAP sensor so it bleeds off boost so the MAP doesn't see it? I've heard of it being done, but I've never actually seen one, or know where to buy said check valve.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There is the missing link from synapse or blox makes one too.They bleed boost so you dont get a cel but they arent a good solution.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:39 PM

Default Re: SVE 3 Bar Map Sensor (siblues)

The SVE run the same as any GM 3 Bar Map
Old 12-03-2006, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SVE 3 Bar Map Sensor (xenocron)

So does anyone know how to test a 3 bar?

I picked up a map sensor from an old Buick Grand National turbo. It looks exactly like the GM 3 bar but there are no markings on it.

If there is a way to test and make sure that it is in fact a 3 bar, then that would be great! I don't want to use it if it's not.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SVE 3 Bar Map Sensor (EJ1 wilcox)

The Hondata forums are down right now, but I found one of the threads discussing problems with the SVE/MSD and Hondata S300. I run an SVE 3 bar with my S200 and it's fine, btw.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1604680

Contact PrecisionH23a if you have questions, because he was the one who created the thread.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:15 PM

Default Re: SVE 3 Bar Map Sensor (EJ1 wilcox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 wilcox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So does anyone know how to test a 3 bar?

I picked up a map sensor from an old Buick Grand National turbo. It looks exactly like the GM 3 bar but there are no markings on it.

If there is a way to test and make sure that it is in fact a 3 bar, then that would be great! I don't want to use it if it's not. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Measure what the voltage is on the REFERENCE signal with Key ON, Engine OFF

Should be around 1.76 volts with a 3 bar
Old 12-03-2006, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 wilcox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I picked up a map sensor from an old Buick Grand National turbo. It looks exactly like the GM 3 bar but there are no markings on it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

the map sensor on my 93 buick skylark looks exactly like my 3bar as well. Can't go by how it looks. Just look up the part number for a Grand National and see if it corresponds with the GM #'s you can use.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:41 PM

Default Re: (dunkd)

WTF is SVE anyways? Does anyone actually know?

I have tried researching them...best I can come up with is a spin off of Fords SVT group.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (xenocron)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xenocron &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">WTF is SVE anyways? Does anyone actually know?

I have tried researching them...best I can come up with is a spin off of Fords SVT group.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Specialty Vehicle Engineering
Old 12-03-2006, 07:46 PM

Default Re: (dunkd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dunkd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Specialty Vehicle Engineering</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, i know that...but anyone know of a location, phone number...a website even?