Notices

supporting turbos and wastegates

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default supporting turbos and wastegates

I am looking into getting a manifold that would require me to support my turbo and wastegate so that it reduces the load the manifold would have to carry. I am looking to see how everybody who is doing this out there has done theres! Are you using some sort of factory bolt locations and making brackets to work? I know welding on the block is a no no. So that is out of the question. I was just hoping to see some clear pics on how it was done. Just for some ideas. Thanks.
P.S. I did a seach on this, especially in the ss autochrome area, where this is necessary, but didn't come up with any clear pics, and if there were any, they were taken down already!
Old 07-16-2004, 08:10 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Many of the people on this board who had done serious research and usage, utilize manifolds that are of quality design, so that no bracing and welding is needed to support a 20lb turbocharger. Companies like Full-Race, Rev-Hard, Inline Pro, Love-Fab, Hytech and even Greddy, have no need to concern themselves with Bracing because they use the OEM block screws and create the manifold w/ materials that can withstand heat and weight.

SS Autochrome and OBX are the exception when it comes to needing to BRACE the manifold, not the rule.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:13 AM

Default Re: (TheShodan)

very good response
Old 07-16-2004, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TheShodan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheShodan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Many of the people on this board who had done serious research and usage, utilize manifolds that are of quality design, so that no bracing and welding is needed to support a 20lb turbocharger. Companies like Full-Race, Rev-Hard, Inline Pro, Love-Fab, Hytech and even Greddy, have no need to concern themselves with Bracing because they use the OEM block screws and create the manifold w/ materials that can withstand heat and weight.

SS Autochrome and OBX are the exception when it comes to needing to BRACE the manifold, not the rule.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Well put, except for the fact that i never stated in my post that it was mandatory to support the turbo in all applications. I know that a more expensive manifold would aleviate this problem. But the fact of the matter is that my money tree stopped growing, so now i have to work 44 hours a week to have money. And unless you want to put your quick thoughts into making me more money to afford a 600+ dollar manifold, Why not try to answer my question instead of firing your opinion torpedo at me?
Old 07-16-2004, 08:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (mattssi)

Most of the manifolds I see simply connect the two flanges together with a few pieces of steel.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (beepy)

I read that bracing the manifold itself does literally nothing. But making it so that t he turbo and the wastegate are supported by something other than the manifold would in turn make the manifold worth having. I was looking for some sort of visualization