Notices

Superchargers and Intercoolers

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superchargers and Intercoolers

Was reading up on a new subject for me and wondering. Since superchargers produce probably a lot of heat how do you keep the engine cool? I've seen a Corolla w/ a charger and a cool, did'nt really understand how it could have one since it works off one TB.

Cliffnotes: Do superchargers use intercoolers? is there an internal fan?
Old 12-12-2003, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Superchargers and Intercoolers (cingham)

it depends on what kind of supercharger you're talking about. if you're talking about a vortech, they make their own "aftercooler". if you're talking about a jackson racing super charger, then its another story. jackson doesnt make an intercooler, but other aftermarket companies do. check out http://www.lhtperformance.net for one of the options.
Old 12-12-2003, 09:53 PM

does it also use a blow off as well? thanks
Old 12-12-2003, 11:13 PM
Corr Performance Pilot

vortech yes... the jackson no. you really dont need it for the vortech either. it's for the folks that want that sound.
Old 12-12-2003, 11:52 PM

Default Re: (MouhadIb)

There is also water-injection used to cool the charge-air, and, if you dare, propane injection.

-PHiZ
Old 12-13-2003, 12:42 AM

propane is only for desiel
Old 12-13-2003, 06:16 AM

Default Re: (cingham)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cingham &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">propane is only for desiel </TD></TR></TABLE>
sorry, you're misinformed.
-PHiZ
Old 12-13-2003, 03:14 PM

Default Re: (PHiZ)

it must be because for the past 6 yrs i've heard that propane works only on the 'd engines, anything else its not going to be effective enough or tuned right for the fuel type and the combustion...please fill me in on this idea some more, so i can see the light

Modified by cingham at 6:01 PM 12/15/2003
Old 12-13-2003, 03:40 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cingham &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i must be because for the past 6 yrs i've heard that propane works only on the 'd engines, anything else its not going to be effective enough or tuned right for the fuel type and the combustion...please fill me in on this idea some more, so i can see the light</TD></TR></TABLE>
Please educate YOURSELF. It is not anyone else's fault that for the past 6 years you have HEARD wrong. Try reading something, it is a much more reliable way of information delivery.

Here is a little help.

Modified by slashDEVslashNULL at 8:38 AM 12/15/2003
Old 12-13-2003, 07:04 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cingham &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i must be because for the past 6 yrs i've heard that propane works only on the 'd engines, anything else its not going to be effective enough or tuned right for the fuel type and the combustion...please fill me in on this idea some more, so i can see the light</TD></TR></TABLE>

you have just dishonored your Avatar.....may Murdock have mercy on your un-enlightened soul!
Old 12-13-2003, 08:26 PM

Default Re: (LiLOtaku)

the only reason I'm familiar with it, is cause that thread has been floating around the top of the FI forum for a week or two.

Not a big deal.

-PHiZ
Old 12-13-2003, 08:45 PM

Default Re: (slashDEVslashNULL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slashDEVslashNULL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Please educate YOURSELF. It is not anyone else's fault that for the past 6 years you have HEARD wrong. Try reading something, it is a much more reliable way of information delivery.

Here is a liitle help.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why the hammer? He didn't know. But yes, people have been using propane injection for a while on all types of cars, not just diesel. It seems that it has only come into favor recently however, and I'm glad. I think it could be an excellent tool, especially, like Phiz said, for supercharged applications.
Old 12-13-2003, 08:55 PM

way to jack the thread to <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PHiZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that thread has been floating around the top of the FI forum for a week or two.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Back to the topic.
Old 12-14-2003, 03:43 AM

thanks for the hammer; use spell checker too.

To be honest your "information" post there sucks. I require a little more detail then the choppy answers that guy is providing. Plus he seems not to know all that much about this.....please don't throw me a bone from a 2 week old dog. To prove my point any more he even links to what I’ve picked
up "http://www.dieselperformancepr...#feat". There is no detail in that post to be of any to little help, so since your all into the rage of education, why don't you come up and explain it, because your sure to be quick to be the O3WNED type *** 's we've come to love here at honda-tech.

Yea find me something on Fuel Injection engines that is not diesel related on propane and get back to me....in last reguards to this...
pretty much the closest thing i could find to actual information related to honda and propane..a floor buffer...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slashDEVslashNULL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Here is a liitle help.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Back to the topic i'm originally trying to understand....Do people use exhaust as they do w/ turbo's and push it through the intercooler w/ a BOV?
Old 12-14-2003, 06:30 AM

There are a few dsm guys around here that use propane. Anyways, back on topic about the SUPERCHARGERS
Old 12-14-2003, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.jacksonracing.com/pages/howorksh.html
Old 12-14-2003, 01:14 PM

Default Re: (madeiniraq)

thanks for the link from jackson, so it does use fans to cool it down and the point of an intercooler recycling the exhaust is not commonly used in supercharger applications?
Old 12-14-2003, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cingham &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks for the link from jackson, so it does use fans to cool it down and the point of an intercooler recycling the exhaust is not commonly used in supercharger applications?</TD></TR></TABLE>

no...those "Fans" you see spinning in the link are the rotors of the charger itself. thats what actually compresses the air. the stock JRSC kit does not contain any type of intercooler. this has to be purchased from another company.
Old 12-14-2003, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

very interesting link about the propane injection ...hmm...
Old 12-14-2003, 09:49 PM

Default Re: (Blue-Civic-Hybrid)

i'm doing a lot of reading on the subject my self, there are a lot of dead leads i am finding. The DSMtalk.com fourm stopped over a year ago with no final verdict on the subject or test numbers. The NOS-Viper propane kit seems really interesting, but not enough information on their web site, I have gathered a little consistancy on certain facts, but since i can't really find a creditable source i'm going to keep looking on the subject.

I might be crazy, but i'm gonna find out one way or another
Old 12-15-2003, 07:52 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cingham &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks for the hammer; use spell checker too.

To be honest your "information" post there sucks. I require a little more detail then the choppy answers that guy is providing. Plus he seems not to know all that much about this.....please don't throw me a bone from a 2 week old dog. To prove my point any more he even links to what IÃ???ve picked
up "http://www.dieselperformancepr...#feat". There is no detail in that post to be of any to little help, so since your all into the rage of education, why don't you come up and explain it, because your sure to be quick to be the O3WNED type *** 's we've come to love here at honda-tech.

Yea find me something on Fuel Injection engines that is not diesel related on propane and get back to me....in last reguards to this...
pretty much the closest thing i could find to actual information related to honda and propane..a floor buffer...
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Thanks for the spelling tip, I fixed it. The hammer was appropriate, you posted incorrect information. Keep your mouth shut unless you know what your talking about. The link I gave you was a quick reference to show you that some people DO use propane on gasoline cars, nothing more. I do not make it my business to educate the ignorant, especially (in this case) since I am "one of those asses". BTW, use the spell check feature please.

Modified by slashDEVslashNULL at 9:18 AM 12/15/2003
Old 12-15-2003, 09:00 AM

still have not stepped up to the challenge dick...find some info then your little bitch *** will be creditable. Other then that i already said i was under the impression that it was ment for disel engines HENCE ALL THE AFTERMARKET STUFF FOR IT. Maybe you should stop being a trigger happy "reply" button ***** and actually help in the question then make your self an *** to the world.
Bouns is that you don't know jack about it either, because i just read the responces you made to the other fourm on the subject.

p.s. Pardon the miss spellings on a public computer and no MSWord to cut and paste in to...other wise i would....

Modified by cingham at 6:11 PM 12/15/2003

Modified by cingham at 6:17 PM 12/15/2003
Old 12-15-2003, 11:16 AM

Yeah, information does appear to be scarce, but it looks like the import guys are just catching on to it.

http://www.importpoweronline.c....html

-PHiZ
Old 12-17-2003, 04:17 AM

Just a final note I've come across information on the propane kits and been in contact with a few DSM'ers that is explaining it in detail.