Notices

supercharger ot turbo.......................wich way to go

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2002, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default supercharger ot turbo.......................wich way to go

just looking for some input on what you guys think is best and why, i see that prices are somewhat similar so thats not a factor. any input would be great.

97 integ ls btw

thanks allot
Old 01-12-2002, 09:21 PM
Better than steak

Default Re: supercharger ot turbo.......................wich way to go (rjardy)

Try the Tornado, I heard that works the best...
Old 01-12-2002, 09:27 PM
New User

turbo!
Old 01-12-2002, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: supercharger ot turbo.......................wich way to go (01geeser)

LOL. I agree, the TORNADO is the BEST! Or try:
http://www.electricsupercharger.com
1 PSI Electric Supercharger, YAY!!!
Old 01-12-2002, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: supercharger ot turbo.......................wich way to go (01geeser)

any specific reason for you lean toward turbo?
Old 01-12-2002, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: supercharger ot turbo.......................wich way to go (BG Boost)

allright enuf of the smart *** **** im not a dumbass, any real opinions appreciated
Old 01-12-2002, 09:37 PM
Better than steak

If you are not a dumb ***, then I think you can figure it out yourself, right?
Old 01-12-2002, 09:39 PM
Texas B*tch!

Default Re: supercharger ot turbo.......................wich way to go (Arturbo)

Sensing some animosity Art? Not typical of your posts...
Old 01-12-2002, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: supercharger ot turbo.......................wich way to go (Arturbo)

allright look ******* a forum like this was designed for q and a. i dont know about you but i do not have enuf money to buy both and decifer wich one i prefer. I was looking for inteligent responses from some who have turbos and some who have superchargers. Thanks for your imaturity.........
Old 01-12-2002, 09:55 PM
Better than steak

Ok, I was an ******* so I apoligize. It was wrong of me but I just hate this question because it gets beaten down do death. Again sorry about being an ***, Im sorry...

art
Old 01-12-2002, 09:56 PM
Texas B*tch!

Hey, Hey, everyone take a deep breath, crap.

This is not a-typical of Art's posts and with time you will come to learn that he is one of the more knowledgeable on this board about the subject.

Now to help answer your question, it really depends on what kind of gains you are looking to get, and how you'd like to acheive those gains.

I'm sure you have a basic understanding on the differences between a supercharger which is belt driven, and the turbo.

Probably have to take a couple factors into consideration, such as weather, when you'll need the boost to kick in, and a few others. When I mentioned the weather, I was more referring to the humidity and how the turbo vehicles tend to like the drier/colder air. With a turbo comes turbo lag, it's not "that" bad in most cases if you have the right one for your application, but it's not close to instant like it is for the s/c.

Edit: In the end it's going to be what you think based on "YOUR" own research. Everyone can pump information to you, but in the end, you're going to be the one paying for it. I recommend using the search function that this site has to offer, you will be able to find many, many, many other topics previously discussed on this site, also do the archives, more are to be found there.

Welcome to the site by the way

[Modified by ForcedAccord, 6:57 AM 1/13/2002]
Old 01-12-2002, 10:00 PM
New User

Default Re: supercharger ot turbo.......................wich way to go

With an LS as the car to work with, turbo is your best option and your only real option to make exceptional power.....the JRSC w/ 6 pound pulley will net you about 160 whp from what I hear. It will keep you even with a type R.
When my LS was alive, it made 213 whp/197 ftlbs of torque at 9 psi w/ a wimpy exhaust setup. A lot of guys on here are making a lot more than that....If you want torque, get a turbo.
Old 01-12-2002, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: supercharger ot turbo.......................wich way to go (degradated)

sorry about all the drama arturbo and everyone else. I just wanted some input other than my own. thanks for your guys opinion degrated and forced accord,
the setup will be run in honolulu im not to sure how the humidity is there(im in the military and in korea for a few more months) I was leaning toward turbo anyhow, and the number givin by degradated sound pretty impresive. the only semi-concern i have is lag, wich you guys say is not that bad.

and i allso kinda should have thought about the question being beatin into the ground. im sure it has been plenty. thanks for all the help guys.

oh yeah degradated, sorry about your car it looked nice, good luck on a future build! thanks again fellas
Old 01-13-2002, 12:26 AM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LS=turbo no other way will get u over 200hp and not far from 300, potential for 400.. plus the LS motor loves boost, u will too
Old 01-13-2002, 12:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: supercharger ot turbo.......................wich way to go (DIRep972)

thanks for the info

sounds good im pretty sure how im going to go on this one
Old 01-13-2002, 01:19 AM

TURBO
Two thumbs up!

Since you stated that your only mild concern was "lag," a turbo should be considered because it offers the user much more flexibility in determining the power band as well as ultimate output... although not common, its possible to do a turbo set up with too much low end power... even more than a roots type blower and definately more than any belt driven centrifugal blower... ever been in an LS powered by a T2? WOO HOO!!!.... Can you say "torque steer"?
Old 01-13-2002, 02:10 AM
New User

Default Re: supercharger ot turbo.......................wich way to go (turbopimp)

what is a t2?? ive never heard of one of those...
Old 01-13-2002, 02:52 AM

Default Re: supercharger ot turbo.......................wich way to go (jetli6969)

a T2 is a *tiny* turbo made by Garrett- smaller even than the T25s used on Mitsus...
Old 01-13-2002, 03:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: supercharger ot turbo.......................wich way to go (turbopimp)

underdrive pulleys makes over 50 whp according to JCWhitney....get a few of those, you'll get 100-150 whp..

Old 01-13-2002, 03:54 AM

I know I'm in the minority here, but I vote supercharger for a daily driver, for a couple of reasons:

1. Price
2. Daily driveability
3. Ease of installation
4. Retention of air conditioning

No doubt that turbo gives the all out power, but to get more power from a turbo, you need an intercooler, and that blows the price WAY up. (no pun intended)

The roots SC maintains serious daily driveability, as it actually appears to "not exist" if the bypass valve is open, while a turbo introduces all kinds of different air passages and headers for granny driving.

The first supercharger I ever saw, I installed. If you can change a set of brake pads, you can install a supercharger. Turbo's are A LOT harder.

Any decent sized turbo for a Honda makes you lose air conditioning. You live in Hawaii, so that may not be so much of a big deal, in the hot climates I've lived in, AC has been a requirement, so turbo was out.

Oh, and one final caveat:
You don't necessarily have to DECIDE WHICH. Turbo's and superchargers can be installed TOGETHER, so you could choose BOTH.
Old 01-13-2002, 05:08 AM
New User

Default Re: supercharger ot turbo.......................wich way to go (shawnhayes)

search feature prevents you from having to call anyone an ******* in this forum.
Old 01-13-2002, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

a T2 is a *tiny* turbo made by Garrett- smaller even than the T25s used on Mitsus...
they use T2s on 1275cc mini coopers in the UK..
Old 01-13-2002, 10:10 AM
Texas B*tch!

Default Re: supercharger ot turbo.......................wich way to go (slow_civic)

Really? What PSI is it good to, like 5? I'd imagine it's almost instant boost though, so I guess that's neat.
Old 01-13-2002, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: supercharger ot turbo.......................wich way to go (ForcedAccord)

For a daily driven car Go with a supercharger. If you like to work on your car a lot buy a turbo. If you have more specific questions about either you can e-mail me. I have had both. https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=111180

[Modified by nsxxtreme, 8:56 PM 1/13/2002]
Old 01-13-2002, 12:21 PM
New User

Default Re: supercharger ot turbo.......................wich way to go (shawnhayes)

1. Price

Drag III turbo with all kinds of goodies from Importparts is $3199... JRSC at $2500+ still doesn't include a lot of the stuff you need to make it a "carefree" daily driver and to make the "advertised" power numbers. So I think cost is a wash.

2. Daily driveability

Turbo or SC both disappear when you're not boosting. Another wash.

3. Ease of installation

If you can install an exhaust header and a cold-air intake you can install a turbo. Especially with a decent kit.

4. Retention of air conditioning

I don't know of a single turbo kit that makes you lose A/C on an Integra. Even with rather large T3/T4 hybrids there's plenty of room for A/C as long as you use a 2.5" diameter downpipe to start with.

"...to get more power from a turbo, you need an intercooler, and that blows the price WAY up"

Well... every DECENT turbo kit comes with an intercooler... and to get more power from an SC you also need an intercooler, and you can't even GET one for the JRSC.

I think basically every claimed advantage of the JRSC disappears under closer examination and then you're left with two options with similar cost, similar compromises, except that one option gives you tons more power and the option to upgrade easily and in stages as you go on.

Doesn't seem like much of a question to me.

Quick Reply: supercharger ot turbo.......................wich way to go