Notices

suggestions on turbo setup for crx b18c track car

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 04:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suggestions on turbo setup for crx b18c track car

we're looking for a turbo setup for the crx track car with JDM B18c. we're looking at running 300 whp on track and maybe as high as 350 for autox, not much more than that. so something that's small for better response, probably ball bearing also. but the main criteria is to be able to run the full size radiator. being a track car, we want to keep everything as cool as possible. will also be adding an oil cooler. internal WG would also be nice, but not absolutely necessary. would prefer cast manifold if available but if we have to make a custom manifold, i can get my friend Jason to build one. i was considering using my used Evo turbo, the twin scroll spool very nice. but i don't think there's room in there with the full size radiator.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:08 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: suggestions on turbo setup for crx b18c track car

Actually, that turbo is great...

There's room, but "Jason" is going to need to do some fab work on a manifold to use that.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

he wont have a problem doing custom manifold
but i want to stick with cast manifold if i can for durability.

here's some stuff he built http://ink361.com/app/users/ig-35604...schmuck/photos

Old 06-30-2015, 09:11 AM

Looks well done.

When you mean track, you mean circuit, correct? (Considering you're listing oil cooler, full-sized radiator, etc are indicia of a circuit/road course car, and not one for drag racing).

Having a cast manifold does hurt you a bit, as they are mainly made as those trying to retain A/C and will push many turbos into the block requiring a different Ford-style 5 bolt turbine housing.

Top mountis are not a good idea and are out of the question for obvious "fitment"reasons, and you'd never be able to run a full size radiator.

Keep a nice tubular log manifold, tight fitting downpipe (coated/heat wrapped,etc), and a quality full-sized radiator that is close to the support.

There are a few good Garrett turbos out there easily able to make your needs and more, but very few in a smaller T04B compressor cover with the correct sized wheels to do what you need with the space requirements you need.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes, the car is built for road course. 20-30 sessions or race.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:58 AM

A couple Golden Nuggets for you (in case you didn't already know.. I have no idea what your experience or expertise is in, so don't get your ***** in a bunch if you know these little bites already

Radiator
CSE and Koyo radiator cores do quite well for the circuit, and stick with Garrett intercooler cores for your I/C if you're trying to hold 20-30min sessions at Beaver or Lime Rock. (Beaver will be your best friend).

SPAL & ZIRGO are the best fans to use. SPALs are best using a 40amp fuse because they draw a lot of current. you can also use a relay, but the fuse is best as well.

Oil cooler
A) Use a sandwich plate that has an internal 180 oil thermostat on the plate itself. This sets you with Mocal or GReddy. I only trust them, but apparently Mishimoto's M-Line Oil sandwich have one as well.

B) Stick with Setrab and Earl's Oil coolers. most durable ones around. Use -10AN lines in which the the in/out flows of the cooler are either vertical facing upward, or to the side. Do not invert the cooler where the lines are facing down to the ground.

Turbocharger

C) Stick with Garrett, Garrett Hybrid, or Turbonetics turbochargers that run water lines, only. Again, space will be an issue, so stick with the T04B housed setups due to your chassis requirements

Coolant

D) Toyota OEM "pink" or Honda OEM "Blue" for coolant. best around. Using a water wetter is fine too in addition to those coolants. Also, keep the thermostat. Many people like to remove them thinking it helps, it doesn't.

turbo / oil lines.
E) When running oil or water lines, either 300psi Goodyear hose or Stainless steel (thermal sleeving on both). Nylon will not last on this type of setup.

Hope this helps as a start.