Notices

Subjective Opinions: Notec vs. Vtec for boosted daily driver - streetability, fun factor

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subjective Opinions: Notec vs. Vtec for high hp daily driver - streetability, fun factor

This is an opinion thread so there need not be any flaming. There is no wrong answer unless you have no personal experience on the matter. Looking for opionions from people with first hand experience who have had both. I am very familiar w/ how say, an b18b a b18c1 differ on the dyno. The former usually has a torque curve that peaks much higher but drops off in the upper rpms where the latter does not. So, which did YOU prefer (not neccessarily the fastest) - the extra torque or the high revving power? Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't the higher torque of a b18b start becoming a disadvantage AFTER A CERTAIN POINT? What I mean is that although torque is what accelerates the car, it also causes wheelspin in our fwd cars, so once you've reached the traction limits of your particular wheel, suspension, etc. setup, it seems to me that a vtec equiped car would allow you to put more power to the ground because it can sustain that maximum level of torque over a much longer rpm range instead of continuing to make more than the wheels can take (wheelspin) and then fall back off at the end.

*Cliffnotes* For those that have had both, which was more fun for you on the street and why?

Modified by SoulEdge at 5:00 PM 10/27/2004
Old 10-27-2004, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you cant have enought torque.

if your wheels are spinning, get better tires or ease off the gas.

im not sure why you'd ask this question....
Old 10-27-2004, 08:51 AM

Default Re: (Turbo E 604)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo E 604 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you cant have enought torque.</TD></TR></TABLE>
You can easily have too much torque in a fwd street car (how much is of course debatable). Even the best street tires like bfg radials will only give so much traction. I'm not talking about race cars here.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo E 604 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im not sure why you'd ask this question....</TD></TR></TABLE>
Two different engines, 2 distinctly different powerbands. Just gathering opionions on what people who have had both enjoyed more for street use. Simple.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:00 AM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (SoulEdge)

I have a b18b and the torque advantage the b18b has over the b18c is minimal.

To me the b18c is much more fun to drive. Pretty much the same power as the b18b below 4-5k and after that it's no contest.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Rain_man)

plus the b18c is geared so much better
Old 10-29-2004, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what i mean is its unlikely that most people will have enough power to incinerate the tires in ALL gears. If you can smoke 5th from a roll, yah id say you have too much torque.

going by that, I say you cant have enough torque.

the amount of driveability/fun you get is basicly dependant on how heavy your foot is.

or am i way off?
Old 10-29-2004, 09:15 AM

I haven't experienced with a b series motor, but I have gone from a d16y7 to a y8 and would def. recommend the vtec. The y7 would hit hard, but then fall off, felt like the turbo was dieing off up top. I swapped the y8 head on there and it is so much more of a continuous pull to redline at half the boost. Just speaking from my personal experience with a d16 non-vtec to vtec.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:33 AM

Default Re: (Turbo E 604)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo E 604 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what i mean is its unlikely that most people will have enough power to incinerate the tires in ALL gears. If you can smoke 5th from a roll, yah id say you have too much torque.

going by that, I say you cant have enough torque.

the amount of driveability/fun you get is basicly dependant on how heavy your foot is.

or am i way off?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I understand what you're saying. I guess everyone sees the ideal daily driver differently. People who do alot of city driving with lots of traffic and sees the speedo under 60 more often than not are going to be in lower gear more often. But if your mainly do freeway driving with lots of room to open it up, then I can see where all the extra torque could be put to use.

Old 10-29-2004, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Subjective Opinions: Notec vs. Vtec for high hp daily driver - streetability, fun factor (SoulEd

I only made 170wtq, and my tires still spin through the top of second.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Pfieffdog)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pfieffdog &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I haven't experienced with a b series motor, but I have gone from a d16y7 to a y8 and would def. recommend the vtec. The y7 would hit hard, but then fall off, felt like the turbo was dieing off up top. I swapped the y8 head on there and it is so much more of a continuous pull to redline at half the boost. Just speaking from my personal experience with a d16 non-vtec to vtec.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good response. Did you use the same IM and which one(s) are you using?