Notices

strange a/f numbers even after tune.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default strange a/f numbers even after tune.

I think my car is cursed.

It has been tuned with a reputable tuning product. during the tune and for the next day or two, the idle was tuned to be be close to 14.7:1 as well as in vacuum, until boost hits. voltage is also constantly over 14 volts.

For the past couple months I've had a 10.1:1-10.7:1 idle now, and vacuum is still around stoich. Sometimes my idle will sit at around 12:1, sometimes, 11:1, and then most of the time at 10:1.

Keep in mind, my IAT is dangling since I'm running an obd2 wiring harness, but I doubt that would create such a variation in af's, and would change it for throughout the whole map.

I have already replaced my RC injectors with a brand new set of 650cc's.

I have no idea what is wrong with my car. It's had several strange air fuel issues, and we've retuned, but this is bothering the heck out of me.

So please list any suggestions on what to check, replace, burn to the ground, etc.

So far my thoughts:
get obd1 IAT sensor and mount on IM
look at replacing IACV
Old 03-27-2006, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: strange a/f numbers even after tune. (igo4bmx)

the iat compensates fuel for intake temps...so unless your under hood temps are the same you are going to have issues
Old 03-27-2006, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: strange a/f numbers even after tune. (b16hybridsol)

if the car idles in a different load point then it was tuned at it will idle at a completely different air fuel....

if the car was idling at 1100 rpm and x amount of vacuum before and now its at

say 900 rpm and a different vaccuum it will idle off a different load point in the program and may idle at a completely different air fuel
Old 03-27-2006, 11:06 AM

Default Re: strange a/f numbers even after tune. (D@nnY)

Get the IAT in working function pronto. Once you have this fixed, come back and let us know what it's doing then.

You don't "diagnose" a car that has KNOWN problems. Fix the problems you know, then troubleshoot.

That's like my shoe falling off in the middle of a race and me losing and wondering why I keep losing races when my shoe is in the midst of coming off of my foot every time I race.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: strange a/f numbers even after tune. (ccivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ccivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Get the IAT in working function pronto. Once you have this fixed, come back and let us know what it's doing then.

You don't "diagnose" a car that has KNOWN problems. Fix the problems you know, then troubleshoot.</TD></TR></TABLE>

my tuner has tuned tons of cars with the IAT not in the normal spot, and never seen this problem.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by igo4bmx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

my tuner has tuned tons of cars with the IAT not in the normal spot, and never seen this problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

is your compensation table set at 0?
Old 03-27-2006, 02:23 PM

Default Re: strange a/f numbers even after tune. (b16hybridsol)

"my IAT is dangling"

Shouldn't be dangling. Get it in there somewhere. I don't care if your tuner has tuned this and that. The IAT sensor is an essential part of how your car is going to run. I don't understand why you wouldn't take the whole 5 minutes that it will take to solder in the right plug (I did it, too). You know it's not right, so fix it.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: strange a/f numbers even after tune. (ccivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ccivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"my IAT is dangling"

Shouldn't be dangling. Get it in there somewhere. I don't care if your tuner has tuned this and that. The IAT sensor is an essential part of how your car is going to run. I don't understand why you wouldn't take the whole 5 minutes that it will take to solder in the right plug (I did it, too). You know it's not right, so fix it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't know if you know, but OBD2 vehicles have a IAT sensor that fits in the intake arm stock... not in the IM

I'm gonna go ahead and order an obd1 IAT, and try to find a way to mount it on my IM.

Any other thoughts- I would greatly appreciate it
Old 03-27-2006, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by igo4bmx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I don't know if you know, but OBD2 vehicles have a IAT sensor that fits in the intake arm stock... not in the IM

I'm gonna go ahead and order an obd1 IAT, and try to find a way to mount it on my IM.

Any other thoughts- I would greatly appreciate it</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats still a contained area with a different temp than the engine bay. Bottom line is you either tune it to run without it (pretty dumb because no where is that consistant on temperatures). Or you hook it up in the intake stream somewhere andgo from there