Notices

Strange backfire problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Strange backfire problem

I've been having problems with my boy's integra i've been tuning. The engine is a b18b1 with an ssac t3/t4, rc 750cc injectors, full 2.5" exhaust with test pipe, uberdata, etc. From day one with these injectors the car has had a very very hard time getting it to idle. The car makes little popping noises at idle which gets very annoying. It does this bad at anything leaner than 12.5:1 afr at idle. Other than that the car drives great part throttle and in boost. The afr's are nice and lean at part throttle and richen up to 11.5:1 all through boost. The timing is conservative and it just seems to run great, but the weird thing is it backfires slightly when blipping the throttle while cruising or getting on and off the gas. Whats worse is when doing a pull it sounds like a gun going off kind of backfire when you let off the gas. We had it on the dyno today and did great except everytime I ended a pull and let off the gas it would backfire loud and shoot out a puff of white smoke just like cars do when you shut them down WOT to check the plugs. Its almost like maybe the fuel isn't cutting out right away and the excess fuel is exploding in the exhaust? This is the only car i've seen do this before and his seems to have gotten worse once he installed a test pipe and got rid of his cat.

BTW run a dump tube guys....we picked up 40whp today putting a bent piece of pipe over his wastegate

Thanx for your help,
Matt
Old 03-03-2006, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Strange backfire problem (SOHC_MShue)

anyone think one single injector could be getting a different pulswidth than the rest for some reason?
Old 03-03-2006, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Strange backfire problem (SOHC_MShue)

Alright it seeems that it is the injectors. Removing the injector clips from the other injectors while the engine is idling almost kills the engine, but removing it from cylinder 3 does not. Cylinder 3 aint firing right