STC dbb hunter turbo + db8 gsr = grocery gettin street car build

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: STC dbb hunter turbo + db8 gsr = grocery gettin street car build

Originally Posted by ls joker
Startin to remind me of guy from nerks build
Except I make about 270 less horsepower lol.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Welp I don't think this grocery getter is going to break into the 10s this year. It's close though, best pass is 11.19@130.96 and it runs consistent low 11 second passes. I will say that this has surpassed my expectations, I never thought this car would be this fast lol. I think this little hunter turbo is finally out of breath, that 11.1 pass boost peaked at 23 psi and fell to 21 psi at redline, but hey it went way further then I ever expected it to. That trap speed puts this car at 493whp witch I think is more then the hunter was designed to do. Good job to Mac for building a sweet little turbo I'm definitely happy with this setup, a fun to drive street car that runs low 11s, I'll take it
Attached Images  
Old 08-14-2017, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Looks like you could make it up in the eighth. What size slicks?

Ps if they have a dyno day or something Im itching to see what that looks like
Old 08-14-2017, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
Looks like you could make it up in the eighth. What size slicks?

Ps if they have a dyno day or something Im itching to see what that looks like
I agree it could definitely be made up in the 8th, but I can't seem to improve on it. I think the 60 ft is limited because it's so heavy and the suspension sucks it's has Skunk2 pro s2 coilovers, I wish I would have went with progress again. The slicks are M&H 24.5x8.5x13, I get the best 60s with ~8psi in them.

I'm so curious to see what what the dyno results would be too! Maybe someday I'll make the 3+ hour trip to get on one..
Old 08-14-2017, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by boosted94gsr
...and the suspension sucks it's has Skunk2 pro s2 coilovers, I wish I would have went with progress again....

I'm so curious to see what what the dyno results would be too! Maybe someday I'll make the 3+ hour trip to get on one..
I'd definitely recommend taking the time to go to the dyno and really dial everything in and see where the car is at. Can only help. Those traps speeds are really, really good.

Also, it's funny to me reading your comment about the coilovers because I'll be placing a CS2 order on my next paycheck. Would be doing it right now but blah blah finances/expenses...
Old 08-14-2017, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats whats up man. Thats one fast street car, shocked you got it that low into the 11's. just for my own understanding of this....you saying its running out of breath around 21-23 psi....does that have anything at all to do with the particular engine spinning the turbo, or is that a mechanical limit of the turbo itself, and it will be limited to that boost pressure regardless of the engine its attached to? Im curious because i run the same turbo on a 2.2 and have been wondering where the limits of the turbo will be on my own setup with a bottom end that can handle the power. Ive had a hard time wording this question into google lately and have given up lol.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by H22Honda98
Thats whats up man. Thats one fast street car, shocked you got it that low into the 11's. just for my own understanding of this....you saying its running out of breath around 21-23 psi....does that have anything at all to do with the particular engine spinning the turbo, or is that a mechanical limit of the turbo itself, and it will be limited to that boost pressure regardless of the engine its attached to? Im curious because i run the same turbo on a 2.2 and have been wondering where the limits of the turbo will be on my own setup with a bottom end that can handle the power. Ive had a hard time wording this question into google lately and have given up lol.
It does depend on the engine. Basically a more efficient engine will max out the cfm of the turbo at a lower boost pressure. Same reason a vtec motor with a good set of cams will make a lot of power at lower boost pressure vs say a 2.0 wrx engine that needs stupid amount of boost to make any power at all. The amount of power at a certain boost pressure is almost like a form of measuring intake restriction, the more efficient engine will make more power on less boost. That's part of the reason I haven't upgraded my cams yet, I don't think there is much to gain as the turbo is already flowing what it can. Although I'd probably make the same power with a couple less psi. I hope that makes any sense at all lol. I'm sure someone smarter then me could explain it better haha.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Chance EG
I'd definitely recommend taking the time to go to the dyno and really dial everything in and see where the car is at. Can only help. Those traps speeds are really, really good.

Also, it's funny to me reading your comment about the coilovers because I'll be placing a CS2 order on my next paycheck. Would be doing it right now but blah blah finances/expenses...
I was super happy with the CS2 suspension on my hatch. I changed my mind at the last second on this build because the skunk2 suspension was on sale for cheap, but a good price on a crap part still equals a crap part in the end.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:06 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

It does depend on the engine. Basically a more efficient engine will max out the cfm of the turbo at a lower boost pressure. Same reason a vtec motor with a good set of cams will make a lot of power at lower boost pressure vs say a 2.0 wrx engine that needs stupid amount of boost to make any power at all. The amount of power at a certain boost pressure is almost like a form of measuring intake restriction, the more efficient engine will make more power on less boost. That's part of the reason I haven't upgraded my cams yet, I don't think there is much to gain as the turbo is already flowing what it can. Although I'd probably make the same power with a couple less psi. I hope that makes any sense at all lol. I'm sure someone smarter then me could explain it better haha.
boosted94gsr has the right idea. A turbocharger is no more than an air pump, and therefore, after a certain rotational speed and CFM of airflow, the turbocharger will stop making power and simply start to blow hot air. Now, the cylinder head efficiency (at CFM - lbs/min ) is going to be the major factor in determining when that turbo is going to start compressing just hot air and not converting that into good power. So, the PSI for when a turbocharger reaches its ultimate limit, may be 2-8psi difference. It's difficult to tell. As for the power level it translates into, well, I don't have to be the first to tell anyone that different conditions will give different numbers. So, at best I would only use it as a small guide as to what a particular turbo design is rated for...Not an overall determination, but simply a guide as to its capability.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the explanations guys, that helps a lot
Old 08-14-2017, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Excellent job Ryan! Yourself and this thread have definitely helped me with my motivation! You're running a stock GSR with the OEM limited slip correct? What fluid are you using? I'm currently at a loss to why I'm posting such horrible times haha. I'm hoping it's not driver mod haha.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gutted-dx
Excellent job Ryan! Yourself and this thread have definitely helped me with my motivation! You're running a stock GSR with the OEM limited slip correct? What fluid are you using? I'm currently at a loss to why I'm posting such horrible times haha. I'm hoping it's not driver mod haha.
Thanks man! Yes stock gsr trans with oem lsd and I'm running amsoil synchromesh fluid. Although I can't say I've noticed any difference between that and good ol Honda mtf.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks man! Yes stock gsr trans with oem lsd and I'm running amsoil synchromesh fluid. Although I can't say I've noticed any difference between that and good ol Honda mtf.

Thanks for the response dude. What's next for your car?
Old 08-14-2017, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gutted-dx
Thanks for the response dude. What's next for your car?
No problem man always happy to help. As for what next, I think I'm just going to enjoy the car as is for the rest of the summer. I would be awesome to pull off a 10 second pass, but I'm definitely happy with it as is.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

awesome build. so does it seem to respond like a 50 trim with more top end? thats what it sounds like from what i am reading.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bigG
awesome build. so does it seem to respond like a 50 trim with more top end? thats what it sounds like from what i am reading.
Thanks. I've never had a "50 trim" turbo before so I'm not sure, but I will say that this hunter turbo paired with 11.7-1 compression makes for a really fun, responsive street car. It's by far the most responsive Honda I've ever had.

On a side note I had a little run in with a known local 550whp twin turbo BMW m3. I was only on 18-19psi in 3rd, & 4th and it was dead even from a 40 role. That thing sounded so mean!
Old 08-19-2017, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I finally broke it. I was at the drag strip and it was my last run of the night, had been running 11.1-11.2@130-131mph consistently all night. With the cooler air temps boost held to 23 psi at redline on this run and the fuel pump could not keep up, it leaned out from 11.5afr up to mid to upper 12 afr and went boom at the top of 4th gear. I had my tune set up to add a lot of extra fuel in case this happened with the cooler air temps at night, but the fuel pump was not able to supply sufficient fuel volume. On paper afr should have dropped in the low 11s or high 10 afr with what I had it set up to do, injectors showed 95% duty cycle when it blew. IAT was only 72* so methanol was still spraying. Now let me say I definitely knew I was pushing it hard and walking a fine line, so I can't say I'm surprised at all. Really I just wanted to run one 10 second pass then I was going to turn it back down to a more reasonable boost level.

So the block is obviously done for, as well as the cyclinder head or at least I'm pretty sure it is, surprising the turbo seems to be fine, I can't find a single ding, or bend and it spins freely with no shaft play.

So I guess I need to decide where to go from here. Golden eagle sleeves possibly, bigger turbo, and fuel system? Not sure yet, but I still need to pull the rest of it apart and see what is salvageable.

Pics for your enjoyment lol.
Attached Images       
Old 08-19-2017, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn, im sorry to hear that man. On the plus side, the turbo is still alive, and the death of the engine had nothing to do with your craftsmanship, just happened to find the limit of the pump at the wrong time. Youll surely build something even better down the line.
Old 08-19-2017, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

Sorry for the bad news man. You got kinda far away from the grocery getter. But it wouldve been nice to know what you were putting out. Meaning fuel pump gave out at or near those limits. Wonder how the e85 played its roll with the fuel pump dying
Old 08-19-2017, 05:33 PM

As bad is I feel for this build to have fallen, this is one fine example of the FI age-old question of whether it is worth the extra coin to get a ball bearing unit with the correct inline oil filter and fittings.

The answer would be a resounding Y-E-S!!
Old 08-19-2017, 06:13 PM
Premium Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts

Dudeeeeeee. Dude. Holy crap. You obliterated that thing LOL. I thought I did something when I put a 5" hairline crack in a sleeve. You really did something there.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh,
So that's why OEMs and big shops under-tune their setups so much. In all seriousness, sad to see your motor nuked like that. Good luck on the salvaging!
Old 08-19-2017, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by H22Honda98
damn, im sorry to hear that man. On the plus side, the turbo is still alive, and the death of the engine had nothing to do with your craftsmanship, just happened to find the limit of the pump at the wrong time. Youll surely build something even better down the line.
Thanks. Yep that's the plan, to come back better and stronger.

Originally Posted by ls joker
Sorry for the bad news man. You got kinda far away from the grocery getter. But it wouldve been nice to know what you were putting out. Meaning fuel pump gave out at or near those limits. Wonder how the e85 played its roll with the fuel pump dying
Yeah the whole grocery getter part kinda went out the window as soon as I got my evo lol. The pump didn't die it just couldn't supply the fuel that the injectors were requiring with the cool nighttime air temps. This car weights almost 3000 lbs and trapped 131 mph so it was right at 500whp witch is absolutely stupid to do with only a 255 lph fuel pump on e85 lol. The only reason it was remotely possible was because of the methanol injection extending the fuel system. But like I said I knew I was pushing it further then I should have.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
As bad is I feel for this build to have fallen, this is one fine example of the FI age-old question of whether it is worth the extra coin to get a ball bearing unit with the correct inline oil filter and fittings.

The answer would be a resounding Y-E-S!!
Yep, agreed.

Originally Posted by Aradin
Dudeeeeeee. Dude. Holy crap. You obliterated that thing LOL. I thought I did something when I put a 5" hairline crack in a sleeve. You really did something there.
Purdy ain't it lol. Yeah when I lifted the head off I just kinda stood there with a stupid look on my face for a bit haha. Learned my lesson and will make sure I have plenty of head room in the fuel system in the future.

Originally Posted by Geis
Oh,
So that's why OEMs and big shops under-tune their setups so much. In all seriousness, sad to see your motor nuked like that. Good luck on the salvaging!
Thanks man. Hopefully I can find something reusable in the engine, but it doesn't look too good at the moment. I already have the engine out and on the stand, I'll pull the pistons and rods tmrw. Hopefully the crank and rods ok, but wouldn't be surprised if it's all hammered.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:44 PM

Thanks. Yep that's the plan, to come back better and stronger.

Yeah the whole grocery getter part kinda went out the window as soon as I got my evo lol. The pump didn't die it just couldn't supply the fuel that the injectors were requiring with the cool nighttime air temps. This car weights almost 3000 lbs and trapped 131 mph so it was right at 500whp witch is absolutely stupid to do with only a 255 lph fuel pump on e85 lol. The only reason it was remotely possible was because of the methanol injection extending the fuel system. But like I said I knew I was pushing it further then I should have.
Damned E85. I made over 580whp on a 255 Walboro, stock fuel lines and wiring.. But that was on C16. (Higher BTUs) . No methanol, no other nonsense on simple 850cc Siemen Dekas...

Uggh. I don't give a **** how cheap that fuel is, it fools people into believing you can do more with less work.. Meh.. I'm just old, and keep it simple, I guess.

Quick Reply: STC dbb hunter turbo + db8 gsr = grocery gettin street car build