Notices

STC dbb hunter turbo + db8 gsr = grocery gettin street car build

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: STC dbb hunter turbo + db8 gsr = grocery gettin street car build

Originally Posted by TheShodan
The Hankook RS3s are a great option to consider for street driving. Not "dig" driving. You're going to wheel hop. Cest' la vie.
Try not to play into the typical RWD's game. you know where the powerband is, you know the strengths and weaknesses of such a setup; So, try not to fall into driving the same way as you would your other cars. That's the best way to "win", so-to-speak.
I think we all get that Mac. The point is, you've got to make compromise somewhere. If you're going to the drag strip or trying to do dig racing on the street (roll racing another story) just get some slicks. Otherwise, the high performance tires like R888s, RS4s, Star Specs actually do pretty good at holding it down with the right boost controls in place.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I dont really have a clue about the states but r888 is the premier turbo FWD tyre here in europe.And we have a ton of fwd turbo platforms since 60-80% of the cars here are hatches
I dont hop with 225/45/17 r888. You can try the new R888R
Other than that you have drag radials there guys.Id use them but i couldnt find anywere in europe.At least priced less than 300$ a tyre.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts

I get pretty good grip from a dig with my M&H 24.5x9.5x13 inch slicks.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have drag wheels for slicks too so not too bad I can do both lol
Old 05-16-2017, 10:42 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
I think we all get that Mac. The point is, you've got to make compromise somewhere. If you're going to the drag strip or trying to do dig racing on the street (roll racing another story) just get some slicks. Otherwise, the high performance tires like R888s, RS4s, Star Specs actually do pretty good at holding it down with the right boost controls in place.
Sorry to beat a dead horse.

Old 05-17-2017, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

great thread bro keep it up!
Old 05-18-2017, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Not that I have near the experience as many of you, but I've always liked my Yokohama Advan A048. I run a 205/50/15 on my civic coupe.
my .02
Old 05-19-2017, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by goinfast
Not that I have near the experience as many of you, but I've always liked my Yokohama Advan A048. I run a 205/50/15 on my civic coupe.
my .02
Ohhhh, yeah, that's always been a mean tyre. Most of the city slickers don't get those.. But us korner killers love 'em!! Those will be on the Circuit Wheels!

For drag racing "from a dig" on the street... meh.. I dunno, I wouldn't bank on 'em. (I've always found that term hilarious to use. I can't help but snicker a little when I hear people use it in a sentence... "What about from a dig?".) *sigh*..
Old 05-19-2017, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol I have zero intentions of "dig" racing on the street. A fwd Honda is the wrong car to build if that's your intention haha. I'm just going to get slicks to have fun with at the track, but I do want to run it on my street tires before I do just for fun. I don't take anything too serious as I build this car to have fun with, it's just a toy.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boosted94gsr
lol I have zero intentions of "dig" racing on the street. A fwd Honda is the wrong car to build if that's your intention haha. I'm just going to get slicks to have fun with at the track, but I do want to run it on my street tires before I do just for fun. I don't take anything too serious as I build this car to have fun with, it's just a toy.

Same here. My neogens are cheap and good enough for the time being. I just want something that will at least hold 2-3 gear on the street when I do upgrade.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:33 AM

Then get an extra set of axles for when you go to the drag strip. Slick tyres + stock axles = tow it home.

It happens to every "just to see for fun" Honda turbo that likes to experiment as you do. Sometimes at a drag event I can even point out the person who is going to be the one with "honor" of being towed home.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Then get an extra set of axles for when you go to the drag strip. Slick tyres + stock axles = tow it home.

It happens to every "just to see for fun" Honda turbo that likes to experiment as you do. Sometimes at a drag event I can even point out the person who is going to be the one with "honor" of being towed home.
I've been down the strip hundreds of times over the year with different turbo fwd cars and the only time I broke an axle was with the r888s from wheel hop off the line. IMO slicks are easier on the drive train because of the wrinkle walls that take a lot of the shock off the drive train. Preloading the drivetrain off the line also helps.

Although I do agree with you about bringing an extra set of axles, just because I haven't broke an axle using slicks doesn't mean I won't lol. I know this drag racing stuff isn't your cup of tea anyways.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:52 PM

Slicks will NOT be easier on the drive axles. Just because you don't wheel-hop doesn't mean that the axles aren't traveling laterally in a harsh manner.

Just because drag racing wasn't "my thing", doesn't mean I don't know what goes on. There's a reason why I got away from it over the years.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Oh i managed to wheel hop with the 888s.
Taking the pressure from 28 psi to 34 made my right wheel hop a lot and violently.
Get your pressure to 26 psi and gradually go up untill youll feel it starts to hop.
Trust me tho at 28 psi it uses a lot more fuel.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Made it out to the track today. Only go 2 clean runs, but had fun anyways. On one pass my friggin stereo popped out when I shifted to second making it impossible to shift into 3rd haha. Best pass was a 12.77@125.9 with a crap 2.3x 60ft time. I basically just rolled off the line then let it rip. This thing is definitely making good power based on my trap speed, and pulls really hard in 3rd and 4th gear. Boost by gear was setup 1st 7psi, 2nd 10-11psi, 3rd 16-17psi, 4th 18-19psi. Second through 4th dead hooked today and felt great. I don't plan to run on street tires again, slicks will be coming before the next track day.
Attached Images  
Old 05-21-2017, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I used your thread a lot as, I have a grocery getter as well that I am building. I even bought the same turbo. If I can point out something I learned from a very good buddy of mine with boost by gear. What he told me to do is no more than 5psi for first and no more than 7psi for second. As wheel hop, grip, and traction blah blah blah play a factor to good ol fwd boosted Honda's. 3rd and 4th let it rip. This is all advice from a good racer and shop owner, since I have no personal experience with turbo cars (this will be my first turbo build)
Old 05-22-2017, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used your thread a lot as, I have a grocery getter as well that I am building. I even bought the same turbo. If I can point out something I learned from a very good buddy of mine with boost by gear. What he told me to do is no more than 5psi for first and no more than 7psi for second. As wheel hop, grip, and traction blah blah blah play a factor to good ol fwd boosted Honda's. 3rd and 4th let it rip. This is all advice from a good racer and shop owner, since I have no personal experience with turbo cars (this will be my first turbo build)
The amount of psi for each gear will depend on your whole setup. My car will take about 12psi in second which is 300 hp. This is on a gsr trans, type r lsd, bfg all seasons. Here is my best slip; I'm in the right lane. I have trapped 118 in my car before on 17 psi but it was just a spin show (no bbg in my setup). ☹️
Attached Images  
Old 05-22-2017, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm running a 7lb wg spring so 5ps in first is not an option, but what I do is enable gear based ignition control and pull timing in 1st gear only above 2psi. That helps stop some of the wheel spin in first. On the street on a warm day 2nd will hold 8-9psi without spinning, cooler temps it will spin bad though. Once the warm weather is here to stay I'll spend some time and really dial in bbg per rpm. Once I get it dialed in I'll take another street video to show how well it hooks.

Originally Posted by cruizinmax
The amount of psi for each gear will depend on your whole setup. My car will take about 12psi in second which is 300 hp. This is on a gsr trans, type r lsd, bfg all seasons. Here is my best slip; I'm in the right lane. I have trapped 118 in my car before on 17 psi but it was just a spin show (no bbg in my setup). ☹️
Nice run for street tires man Yeah if I could have cut a 2.0 60ft that pass would probably have been a low 12 second pass. I just couldn't get a good launch, so I just started rolling off the line. I'm done messing around with street tires at the track anyways. Time for slicks!
Old 05-22-2017, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Made it out to the track today. Only go 2 clean runs, but had fun anyways. On one pass my friggin stereo popped out when I shifted to second making it impossible to shift into 3rd haha. Best pass was a 12.77@125.9 with a crap 2.3x 60ft time. I basically just rolled off the line then let it rip. This thing is definitely making good power based on my trap speed, and pulls really hard in 3rd and 4th gear. Boost by gear was setup 1st 7psi, 2nd 10-11psi, 3rd 16-17psi, 4th 18-19psi. Second through 4th dead hooked today and felt great. I don't plan to run on street tires again, slicks will be coming before the next track day.
Nice dude! You're at full weight right?!
Old 05-22-2017, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gutted-dx
Nice dude! You're at full weight right?!
Yep full weight full interior, probably heavier then a stock db8 gsr with the turbo components, and meth kit lol. Stock curb weight is 2764 lbs and I weigh a bump above 200 lbs, so it's definitely not light lol.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

man, 3000lbs and 126mph trap that thing must be making 430whp+
Old 05-27-2017, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My front brakes were hating life lol. Went with hawk hp plus pads, and new centric rotors. These hawk pads grab so much harder then the old worn oe pads. So far they are nice a quiet too, just a little dusty. Soon I'll be upgrading to steel braided brake lines and motul dot 5.1 brake fluid too. The rear brakes are still in decent condition, but I'll be replacing those as well. I just had to do something about those front brakes now haha.
Attached Images     
Old 05-30-2017, 04:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

looks good
Old 05-30-2017, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

HP + are good street pads but they are dusty and will make noise lol
Old 05-30-2017, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
HP + are good street pads but they are dusty and will make noise lol
Well, as long as he can stop, that's the more important thing. Once they warm up, the noise reduces quite a bit. You want 400whp in something light, ya gotta be able to stop. .

Good call on the pads. The rears can be HPS series, if that helps.

Quick Reply: STC dbb hunter turbo + db8 gsr = grocery gettin street car build