Notices

is this statement correct???

Old 08-08-2007, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default is this statement correct???

i was tlaking ona another forum to a guy who wanted to turbo his car and i told him that runing 7-8psi would be ok for a stock Yaris engine but going beyond that you would need to upgrade the internals or go to a better tuning option than emanage, than a guy came in with this statement:

The amount of psi you can run more depends on what turbo, not the motor! PSI is JUST a measure of resistance of air getting thru the TB.
You can make 200 crank HP, prolly not to the wheels though. 180ish to the wheels is feasable and realistic. Get a decent sized turbo, you actually want a lil lag. Newer cars dont like boost under 3K RPM, the ECU's are VERY smart and wont change from closed to open loop until you hit certain conditions. If you go with a standalone like PFC or Hyrda it wont matter then.

I would go with a GT28R or GT28RS. 12-15psi should be more then enough to make the power you're looking for, 10 is prolly enough.

is this correct???
Old 08-08-2007, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In a way its true, but there is about 100 other variables that have to do with how much boost you can run!!!
Old 08-08-2007, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (grand champ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by grand champ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">In a way its true, but there is about 100 other variables that have to do with how much boost you can run!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly. i was trying to explain to the owner of the car the amount of "boost" you could safely run on a stock Yaris engine with a simple emanage tune and then this guy starts saying this stuff... i wasn't trying to be a dick but he's wrong.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (joey1320)

Actually, the amount of boost you can run is more dependant upon the strength of your engine internals and it's ability to withstand the additional pressures and heat from a boosted application. That's why some guys can run 15psi or more on a stock block and tune it conservatively to keep the motor together. Then there's others who blow their motors at a little over 5psi.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (joey1320)

in a sense he is right, it not the amount of boost that determine the stopping point. It is the amount of power that you are making, to a certain extend on how much the motor can hold.

As for the ECU problem, i have no idea but yaris are ugly as ****
Old 08-08-2007, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (StolenTeg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by StolenTeg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">in a sense he is right, it not the amount of boost that determine the stopping point. It is the amount of power that you are making, to a certain extend on how much the motor can hold.

As for the ECU problem, i have no idea but yaris are ugly as **** </TD></TR></TABLE>

haha i have one also... thats the hatch honda should had made for the SI model. way better looking that the fit...
Old 08-08-2007, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my understanding is its not the amount of boost that determines the breaking point of a motor, its the amount of stablized pressure the motor can hold
small turbo+high boost=large turbo+low boost
the boost psi on the gauge is a measure of the pressure state of the intake manifold
im guessing this guy also is throwing turbo models out there to sound smart and hasnt looked at any compressor maps to determine if the "Disco Potato" is the turbo to go with for that application.