Notices

Starting build, have questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting build, have questions

long story short, my motor lost oil press. and from what i was told a rod bearing is fucked and who knows what else. do you guys have any idea what can be reused?? also how much power can i make on a GT40R and what intercooler will be good for the power output that it can put out. and does anyone know the spool time on the GT40R. BTW i have a B18C1
Old 08-10-2006, 08:38 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Starting build, have questions (bigbadboy)

well, if the crank osnt trashed, that will be ok, but if you spun a bearing and goin with a gt40r, i wouldnt use an undersized crank.

as for a spun rod bearing, you will have to get the rod resized. and again with the gt40r i wouldnt reuse a compromised set of rods but thats just me.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Starting build, have questions (boostedcivicsir)

gt40r is a really big powerful expensive turbo. it will handle all the power you want or need.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Starting build, have questions (Speed Infliction)

bore your block .020 over and hone that piece too. make sure you get the right pistons too.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

block is already bored .020 over with block guard, eagle H-beam rods and CP pistons. the crank balanced and micropolished. first thing i was going to do was take everything apart and get my block sleeved by eagle. but do you guys think the head and oil pump is ok.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bigbadboy)

don't know. never seen your car, but i would suggest taking your head to the machine shop and let them replace valve seals and do at least a three angle valve job. if you are going to stay under 400 whp then put the money for the sleeves towards the head work. oil pump is probably fine though.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Speed Infliction)

i'm planning on BIG hp numbers. i had 406 with the set up i had. the head is completely stock from what i know. it make 400 on 17 PSI with a drag kit and SC-61. it was fast but i want more thats y i decided on the GT40R. wat are the best pistons and rods to use. and also who does the best head work?? i'm planning and willing to spend 1K on just the head so i want the best
Old 08-11-2006, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You dont need a monster turbo to make more power. Turn up the boost. That sc61 will make more power. The gt40r is a race turbo, yeah teh wow factor of it is great but completely not nessesary unless your going all out drag car. Its one of those trailer queen turbos. YES im sure peopel will chime in here and say i run a gt40r on my street car. it can be done but the power band is retarded. you go from no power to insane power in a split second and its all wayyyyy up top the revs. Now if you have a manifold designed for twin scroll wit two wastegates then spooling will be better but i dont personally feel it will be streetable.

The sc61 will make more power. If your looking to go big and stay street pick up a gt3576r. will more then give you what your looking for im sure.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

as a matter of fact i was looking at the divided top mount. not sure what power levels i can get with the GT35R but my goals is to get around 700-800. thats y i was looking into the GT40Rand plus if i can spool it around 6K it wont be too bad from wat i have now
Old 08-11-2006, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You will have boost at 6k but i dont knwo about full boost. usually they kick in around 7k but ive seen one or two kick in early. **** ive even seen a gt42r spooling at 6k which to me is mind boggling.

Well with that power goal im assuming you are building a trailer queen and not a street driven track car. If you are going that big get ride of 5th gear and get a liberty cuff or be prepared to buy alot of trannies. I would also recomend sending the entire tranny and all parts out to be cryo treated. Yes it doesnt make the part invincable but its strengthens them up big time. people getting 4 passes ut of a trans were seeing more liek 10-15 passes
Old 08-11-2006, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Turbo-LS)

bigger the bore the faster the spool. now i just had a set of JE pistons and returned them for the CP pistons. just examning the differences between the two, the CP's were really impressive. they made the JE's look like crap in my opinion. i know that JE's are good pistons but they seem like they would break just by comparing the two. I also heard that JE ringlands are weak and they are a louder piston and that is why i got the CPs. as far as rods go...i would go with crower if you want 700 to 800 HP.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Speed Infliction &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bigger the bore the faster the spool. now i just had a set of JE pistons and returned them for the CP pistons. just examning the differences between the two, the CP's were really impressive. they made the JE's look like crap in my opinion. i know that JE's are good pistons but they seem like they would break just by comparing the two. I also heard that JE ringlands are weak and they are a louder piston and that is why i got the CPs. as far as rods go...i would go with crower if you want 700 to 800 HP.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah i just picked up a set of CP slugs my self, i was runnign arias and burned them up. My fault though. They werent loud at all though

Ive heard alot of bad things abotu crower rods. Id say carillo, pauter or manley. I personally run eagles with larger rod bolts and there fine. People make over 800whp on eagles. most peopel sleep on them cause therte cheap to buy
Old 08-11-2006, 01:18 PM
ME LOVE U LONG TIME

just started my built motor with Wiseco's and its quiet!!!!!!!! can't wait to get done popping her cherry . good luck with the build
Old 08-11-2006, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Turbo-LS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo-LS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Well with that power goal im assuming you are building a trailer queen and not a street driven track car. </TD></TR></TABLE>

sorry to disappoint you but i don't build trailor queens i always build things that are street driven. i may not drive it everything but i do know i'm driving it every weekend. i may not use all 700-800 on the street but i want to have it. i may use just 600 depends on what i need to get it done. this is my first honda build so i want to do it good.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just don't bite off more than you can chew.
Old 08-12-2006, 04:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Speed Infliction &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just don't bite off more than you can chew.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Agreed
Old 08-12-2006, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea i'll try. thats wat i usually get myself into. i was thinking of doing this as my next set up:

85mm eagle sleeves
wiseco or CP piston
Manley I-beam rods
Toda V-tec killer cams

thats abt all that i have abt 100% figured out. what do you guys think i should do with the crank and the valvetrain?? how well will a stroker kit be for a turbo application?? just need some help and guidance throught this. its my first honda build and i just like doing things right. i have an never ending project in my driveway which is my dodge ram
Old 08-12-2006, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good luck with your build but i think its gona be pretty useless on the street,your gona get tired of it pretty quick.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump