Notices

Starion Intercooler..Got a couple of questions..

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2002, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starion Intercooler..Got a couple of questions..

I did a search about relocated the endtanks and came up with a link but honestly, it wasnt very helpful...I did research on a couple of FMIC's but the ones that are good like GReddy, APEX, Blitz, etc are expensive and out of my price range. Plus I dont think its needed to get that large of an intercooler...I know for a fact spearco is good but I cant find good prices for them over the internet...I just need something in a fair pricerange ($300-$400 for a decent front mount size) and one that does the job. I need it to hold 10psi safely and I want it to work efficiently...(Did I spell that correctly?)

Now the Starion/Conquest is a really good size but the part that bothers me most are the endtanks. Now I hear that people make their own and cover up the oem one but does it work good? What are some pros/cons about doing it. I think its one of the cheaper FMIC's out there but the link I went to mostly discussed pricing, not quality of relocating the endtanks.

I guess what Im trying to ask is...Is it safe to relocate the endtanks and will it work/function properly...I just ask this because its one of the large FMIC's that go for a low price and gets the job done.

-Thanks
Old 08-12-2002, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Starion Intercooler..Got a couple of questions.. (J-MiGiRL702)

Well, mine was efficient enough to put me in the 12's. Boosting at 11psi. Did my own endtank modifications with JB weld--I would recommend welding it though.
Thinking about selling it too.....
Old 08-12-2002, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Starion Intercooler..Got a couple of questions.. (93LSivic)

damn can't wait for mines to look like that I got mines for 150 nice and shiny. 93lsivic.....whut did you do for brackets? how did you mount it?
Old 08-12-2002, 09:17 PM

Its hard to find people to weld aluminum in So.Cal...I would do that in a second..your pipes are metal right? does the JB hold it together good?
Old 08-12-2002, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Starion Intercooler..Got a couple of questions.. (J-MiGiRL702)

Its hard to find people to weld aluminum in So.Cal...I would do that in a second..your pipes are metal right? does the JB hold it together good?
not really, if u have a mig welder argon gas and aluminum spool then u can do it yourself, its even possible to weld aluminum with a mig welder and aluminum spool as well as regular CO2 w/ He if you turn the tempurature way down. If u dont have access to a welder at home, go to your local school's metal shop they should have a welder and im sure a kid would weld it up nice for cheap if not free. Aluminum spools cost about $8 bucks, we welded my HKS blow off valve to my aem cold air intake (both aluminum), even tho the weld is crappy it works *cant see the weld cause we went over it with some duct tape*

i got access to a welder as well as aluminum piping/aluminum spool (that i bought) so u better believe im doing a starion intercooler

[Modified by bretx0r, 6:21 AM 8/13/2002]

[Modified by bretx0r, 6:22 AM 8/13/2002]
Old 08-12-2002, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Starion Intercooler..Got a couple of questions.. (SuperDuperEG)

damn can't wait for mines to look like that I got mines for 150 nice and shiny. 93lsivic.....whut did you do for brackets? how did you mount it?
Brackets..nope...unless you count the IC piping holding it up.
Nah, just kinda sitting there chillin -- literally.
I had one of the JB Welded endtank caps blow off last week or so. Nothing a little silicon, duct tape and zip ties couldnt fix . But the 2.25" (max diameter) aluminized steel piping I have going into is holding up great!
Old 08-12-2002, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Brackets..nope...unless you count the IC piping holding it up.
Nah, just kinda sitting there chillin -- literally.
I had one of the JB Welded endtank caps blow off last week or so. Nothing a little silicon, duct tape and zip ties couldnt fix . But the 2.25" (max diameter) aluminized steel piping I have going into is holding up great!
werd, werd good to hear