Notices

sr20DE or Sr20DET For Turbo SEARCHED

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default sr20DE or Sr20DET For Turbo SEARCHED

Over the weekend i decided to pick up a 1995 Infinite G20. The car comes stock with an Sr20DE Non Turbo Motor. I am planning on either turboing that motor or buying a sr20det. My question is what are the differences between those to motors as far as internals, and what are the differences between the sr20's that i can use for the FWD swap. Im sure the RWD Sr20's have different mounting points even though they are the same motors. I think i can only use the bluebird or Pulsar sr20??? I tried searching G20.net and some other forums, but im comvinced this is one of the very few forums that have intelligent people. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:09 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: sr20DE or Sr20DET For Turbo SEARCHED (hotimportcrx)

FWD SR20 heads are entirely different and cannot be used on RWD.

The SR20DE in your car has higher compression then the DET but other then that the motors are pretty much the same internally. A DET swap would be a huge wast of money IMO if your motor is already running strong. If it were me I would just build that motor and then turbo it.

Try:
Zilvia.net
or
NICOclub/forums.com
Old 07-23-2007, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sr20DE or Sr20DET For Turbo SEARCHED (White Smoke)

I really want to leave the motor bone stock. Im not looking to make more then 250-275whp. The g20 is going to be built to be a daily driver otherwise i would have bought a 240sx. If i can get away with making that power on a sr20de, fine. If not, then i have no problem swapping it. If i was going to be building something fast it would be another talon or another honda. Thanks for the insight! Bump for some info!
Old 07-23-2007, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if i didnt have a EX coupe, a G20 would be my next pick.

just turbo the motor thats in it, im sure hondas have taught u that higher compression is nothing to worry about, because it only requires a lil more careful of a tune.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:41 PM
i my honda
Global Mod

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hotimportcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I really want to leave the motor bone stock. Im not looking to make more then 250-275whp. The g20 is going to be built to be a daily driver otherwise i would have bought a 240sx. If i can get away with making that power on a sr20de, fine. If not, then i have no problem swapping it. If i was going to be building something fast it would be another talon or another honda. Thanks for the insight! Bump for some info!</TD></TR></TABLE>

OK, so you wanna spend 2500 to get a STOCK SR20DET that is only going to make a little more HP then you have already? Add another 1500$ or so and get yourself an exhaust, DP, t28, an SAFC and a Z32 MAFS and then you will be able to make a bit more power, ~260HP.

Now compare that to the price of pistons and rods: 700, someone to install them: 150, a small turbo kit with exhaust, DP, SAFC and Z32 MAFS: 2500 and you will end up spending less for a LOT, I mean I LOT more SAFE power.

If you only want 250HP then just through a small turbo kit on there with a good EMS and call it a day.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:50 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by White Smoke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">FWD SR20 heads are entirely different and cannot be used on RWD.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

what does the head have to do with a motor being mounted transverse or not? manifold placement that different or something?
Old 07-23-2007, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I defiently charge more then 150$ to install pistons and rods and so does everybody else. Also, the bluebird longblock i can get for 1000 with turbo and ecu which allows you to use the stock g20 FWD tranny. Im 110% sure the stock det can handle 275whp. Im not looking to build something and get myself into another project when this is my daily driver. All i wanted was motor specs and info reguaring the motors. I have more then enough expierence to judge on weather or not i need to build the motor.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And if your doing pistons and rods thats how it starts

Pistons
Rods
Main bearing
Rod bearings
Fresh Hone
Oil pan gasket
Headgasket
Mid-as well get headstuds
Front and Rear main seals

I dont want a project.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:26 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by agrn93ls &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what does the head have to do with a motor being mounted transverse or not? manifold placement that different or something?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Quite a bit actually, manifold placement is the same though. Manifold design on the other hand... There are too many things to list but I will post pictures of both so you can get an idea of them all. The blocks however, are interchangeable with some work.

FWD:

This is an SR18DE but it looks just the same as the FWD 20DE:

RWD:
This is an SD20DE (non-turbo)

SR20DET

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hotimportcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I defiently charge more then 150$ to install pistons and rods and so does everybody else. Also, the bluebird longblock i can get for 1000 with turbo and ecu which allows you to use the stock g20 FWD tranny. Im 110% sure the stock det can handle 275whp.</TD></TR></TABLE>

150 is actually on the high side to install pistons and rods if you ask me. Obviously this price is if you take the block to a shop, not drop your car off and come back for it already built. I assumed you would pull the motor and head yourself since you were talking about doing a motor swap.

And the neither the stock MAFS or injectors or turbo (in it's efficiency range) will support 275hp.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:26 AM

the difference isn't just in the heads. bell housing between FWD/RWD SR20DE(t)'s are different as well. either way a FWD DET swap is pretty quick. I had a GTiR swap in my 91 G20. now I've sold that and picked up a 99 G20 just because I had soooooo much fun with my first one. but on my new used car I'm gonna run an SR20VE swap with a custom turbo kit.

either way, if you do the swap or if you just turbo your existing engine there are quite a few things that would need to be upgraded and or changed. such as clutch, fuel pump, poly mounts(trust me, you will regret not doing them if you swap), engine management, unless you get the proper ECU with your swap, intercooler/charge piping/BOV/custom downpipe/exhaust..... doing my GTiR swap was a PITA!! trust me, no where near as easy as swapping a honda.

if you have questions about the swap you can PM me....good luck..
Old 07-24-2007, 07:31 AM

Default Re: sr20DE or Sr20DET For Turbo SEARCHED (under_psi)

some pics of the beast before I sold it....

^^and yes, those are ITB's

Old 07-24-2007, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sr20DE or Sr20DET For Turbo SEARCHED (under_psi)

Looks nice. A mean a swap is a swap. No swap is that hard, just frustrating sometimes. Front mounts looks good. Do you have the demensions of that core?
Old 07-24-2007, 08:30 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hotimportcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A mean a swap is a swap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

O.K.
Try wiring a 2jz into an S14!
Old 07-24-2007, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks like this is going to be one of these theads. I was looking for info only when i made this thread, not for some internet forum mechanic to tell me to try wiring a 2jz into an s14. I was looking for info on the DIFFERENCES between the different sr20's, not for some clown who probably never built a fast car before to tell me weather or not i can do the swap. Thanks for nothing meatball.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hotimportcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Looks like this is going to be one of these theads. I was looking for info only when i made this thread, not for some internet forum mechanic to tell me to try wiring a 2jz into an s14. I was looking for info on the DIFFERENCES between the different sr20's, not for some clown who probably never built a fast car before to tell me weather or not i can do the swap. Thanks for nothing meatball.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What I don't understand is that you asked it on a Honda forum.

There are quite a few Nissan forums out there who could probably answer your question a bit better honestly.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sr20DE or Sr20DET For Turbo SEARCHED (SovXietday)

I am always on honda-tech. I posted it and if someone had some info great. If not, ill just buy the longblock and do everything as i go along.

Modified by hotimportcrx at 3:20 PM 7/24/2007
Old 07-24-2007, 11:15 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Yeah, I have never built a fast car before. And who doesn't love meatballs? lol
You say a swap is a swap like there all the same. ANYONE who has done swaps on a variety of cars knows there not even close to all being the same and just because you can do one sure *** hell don't mean you can do them all.

I gave you plenty of info on the differences between the motors and info on the swaps. Clearly you know it all anyway so why come in here and ask?
Old 07-24-2007, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

geez.. what a bad ***.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mykizism)

^^^^Nice looking setup. Any traction on those little tires?!?!
Old 07-24-2007, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mykizism)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by White Smoke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, I have never built a fast car before. And who doesn't love meatballs? lol
You say a swap is a swap like there all the same. ANYONE who has done swaps on a variety of cars knows there not even close to all being the same and just because you can do one sure *** hell don't mean you can do them all.

I gave you plenty of info on the differences between the motors and info on the swaps. Clearly you know it all anyway so why come in here and ask?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Im not saying i know everything. I dont understand why you were riding me so hard when i was just trying to find out simple info. When i said a swap is a swap, it pretty much is. Granted, some are alot harder then others and some require more time and extensive research. However, this is not one that is extremely complicated. All i was trying to accomplish in this thread was find out the differences between the sr20det motors as well as the differences between the sr20de and the det motor. Im not trying to get into a debate, argument, or anything else. I was simply looking for info. Also, another thing i was interested in is FWD tranny options. I heard threw the grapevine that you can use the guts of an awd bluebird tranny,the shaft and the gears, in a stock g20 trans only its alot stronger. If anyone can verify this it would be highly appreciated.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The cheapest way to go is to get a GTIR T28 setup. Get some 370cc injectors, an adj. fpr, a bored maf, a calum ecu-programmed for the the new maf and injectors for 4bars of fuel. That setup will get you to about 275whp.

check out http://www.sr20forums.com, if you search on that site you'll find all the info you need.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:24 PM

Default Re: (hotimportcrx)

I used a JDM FWD SR20DE cable VLSD tranny, and maybe I just got lucky, but the trany held up really well. I know a few guys running similar set-ups though and they have gone through a few trannies....my 99 G20t uses a hydrolic VLSD tranny and the imput shaft for the clutch is much bigger and beafier than the cable one was. internals are supposed to be much stronger too....we'll see after I'm through with it though..lol.....

honestly though, the trannies and JDM swaps are so cheap that even if you pop a motor or blow a tranny it won't hurt the wallet too bad...especially if you do all the wrenching. a lot of guys cryo treat thier gears and synchros and all that....I just rather keep it simple. all SR20's can handle boost pretty good. a friend has a JDM high comp SR20DE with a GTiR turbo mani and a GT28RS running about 15psi for the past 5 months or so now. has injectors/pump/engine management though and it's tuned. pretty stout motors....just use whatever you can find and afford.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:48 PM

Default Re: (under_psi)

hotimport: If the engine runs strong then don't bother with a DET. Buy a t25, bluebird or avenir manifold, downpipe, O2 housing, an oil/coolant line kit from go fast depot, some 370cc injectors, nismo fpr, an N60 maf, and a calum daughterboard ecu. You can make 250whp with that setup easily. Come over to the sr20forum or g20.net and we'll give you any help you need.