Notices

sputtering problems?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sputtering problems?

Hey guys. I've had my car tuned for about a month now. Recently, it started to sputter. But its on and off. Normal driving the rpm's break up and car sputters, sometimes on hard driving it sputters to. But other times it will drive just fine. What could cause this problem? spark plugs fouling out? Here is motor set-up so you guys know..

440hp
(MOTOR)
B16 Dart Sleeves (82.5mm after bore to fix)
Scat rods w/ARP rod bolts
CP Pistons 9:1
Clevite Bearings
Cometic head gasket
ARP headstuds
B16 head with Full Supertech valve train
Edelbrock Victor X intake manifold
Skunk2 65mm TB
Stock B16 crank, micro polished, checked.
Stock GSR cams
Moroso Oil pan

(Turbo)
AFI Ramhorn
Tial Waste gate
Tial 50mm BOV
Garret T3/T04E 57trim
Custom Downpipe and intercooler piping
CX racing 31x11.5x3 Intercooler

(Fuel)
93 Octane
255 Walbro
Inline Fuel filter
Aeromotive A1000 FPR
Precision 1000cc injectors
BDL fuel rail
Old 08-12-2010, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sputtering problems?

map sensor could be bad
Old 08-12-2010, 08:31 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ignition. Always start with ignition on a boosted honda. When was the last time you changed your plugs? What are they gapped to? Maybe its time to replace your cap/rotor/plug wires. How old are those parts? Also clean or replace that fuel filter if its old.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Muckman
Ignition. Always start with ignition on a boosted honda. When was the last time you changed your plugs? What are they gapped to? Maybe its time to replace your cap/rotor/plug wires. How old are those parts? Also clean or replace that fuel filter if its old.
Pretty sure my plugs are fouled out. took out spark plug from cylinder one and the tips are black
Old 08-16-2010, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone??
Old 08-16-2010, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its already been stated. The problem is 90% most likely your ignition system. Start with new plugs, they are cheap and by the sound of it yours are hosed. Pay attention to the gap on the plugs as well. This plays a huge role in solving break up issues. If this doesn't work, look into cap, rotor, wires as well as the connections on the ignitor and coil. Moisture in the dist can cause BIG problems with corrosion.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok well i put new ignitor in dizzy, and put new plugs in. drove down street, came back to pull plugs and tips are WHITE. From what i know that means running lean? Could be my timing is off? i didn't re-time it with a timing gun...

I'm going to set the timing on dizzy before i start sayin my car is running lean...because it wasn't before i changed plugs and messed with dizzy...

Last edited by Silvertc; 08-18-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Silvertc
ok well i put new ignitor in dizzy, and put new plugs in. drove down street, came back to pull plugs and tips are WHITE. From what i know that means running lean? Could be my timing is off? i didn't re-time it with a timing gun...

I'm going to set the timing on dizzy before i start sayin my car is running lean...because it wasn't before i changed plugs and messed with dizzy...
Why did you change the ignitor? Changing the COIL would have been a better choice. If you drove litterally "down the street" and back and your plugs are already WHITE then you have issues.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hybrid96EK
Why did you change the ignitor? Changing the COIL would have been a better choice. If you drove litterally "down the street" and back and your plugs are already WHITE then you have issues.
i know that there is an OBVIOUS problem hence i mention i checked plugs and they are WHITE. As to What issues i have, IF someone could tell me what to check besides pointing the obvious OUT that something ISN'T right.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The obvious stuff is going to be your CAP, ROTOR, and PLUGS. Run NGK 7 series plugs, and gap them down. A bad rotor could cause it. Simply driving down the street isn't gong to give you a reading off the plugs, as you are driving PART THROTTLE where the car IS going to be lean @ that point. You need to WIDE OPEN throttle pass with the car, and shut it down after a HARD 3rd gear pull, then pull the plugs. This is going to be basics though. It COULD be any of the ignition items, clogged fuel filter...etc. Has the car ALWAYS been like this, or did it start out of no where? EITHER WAY you would want to beef up from the stock coil. At least get the blaster coil, or if you have the money I would get the BIG BLUE coil, can't remember the tech. name for it. Start with those basics, and go from there. Your timing isn't going to cause a "sputter". Timing would simply make the car run sluggish or haul ***, and if you haven't changed it there is no need to. If the car has ALWAYS been having this issue, maybe it's in the tune?

DO YOU have a wideband in the car? If so what are the readings when it "sputters". If you were to tell me this only happens when IN boost, then it would just sound like your blowing the spark out, and just gap them down a bit.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SIXTY-1HATCH
The obvious stuff is going to be your CAP, ROTOR, and PLUGS. Run NGK 7 series plugs, and gap them down. A bad rotor could cause it. Simply driving down the street isn't gong to give you a reading off the plugs, as you are driving PART THROTTLE where the car IS going to be lean @ that point. You need to WIDE OPEN throttle pass with the car, and shut it down after a HARD 3rd gear pull, then pull the plugs. This is going to be basics though. It COULD be any of the ignition items, clogged fuel filter...etc. Has the car ALWAYS been like this, or did it start out of no where? EITHER WAY you would want to beef up from the stock coil. At least get the blaster coil, or if you have the money I would get the BIG BLUE coil, can't remember the tech. name for it. Start with those basics, and go from there. Your timing isn't going to cause a "sputter". Timing would simply make the car run sluggish or haul ***, and if you haven't changed it there is no need to. If the car has ALWAYS been having this issue, maybe it's in the tune?

DO YOU have a wideband in the car? If so what are the readings when it "sputters". If you were to tell me this only happens when IN boost, then it would just sound like your blowing the spark out, and just gap them down a bit.

My bad, i should've been more specific. i let the car warm up, took it around the block and ripped in 2nd and 3rd gear. came back and pulled out plugs. Car Runs good now and strong. NO SPUTTER. What i'm worried about is that pulling the new plug to check them, the TIPS are WHITE. Before they were normal light brown color before sputtering began....
Old 08-19-2010, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SIXTY-1HATCH

The stock coil is more then sufficient, so why would you tell him he will want to beef up the coil. Explain your reasoning behind this.

He most likely isn't running the correct timing maps. He already said he has a P30 basemap. Considering a P30 isn't for a D16Z6, id say the timing maps aren't correct right there. Won't cause it to sputter? Dunno where you learning about ignition timing but yes, it could cause the issues he listed.

Making a full throttle pass and reading the plugs is more handy for looking for detonation. You will need more then 10 seconds on the plugs in order to really get an idea for lean/rich conditions. They won't set it on the plug right away. You can also tell is the timing is too far advanced or retarded by where the discoloration starts/ends on the strap.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Silvertc
i know that there is an OBVIOUS problem hence i mention i checked plugs and they are WHITE. As to What issues i have, IF someone could tell me what to check besides pointing the obvious OUT that something ISN'T right.
What the hell do you want from us? I listed several things it could be. In my list I never specified ignitor. You changed it and I questioned why... then you jump on my *** about how I am not being direct enough with my responses. Look, this takes effort on your part. I can't just sit here and say "Well, I am 100% the issue is this... Go change xxx and it will fix your car".

On top of it all, your last post says, in a nutshell, "My car runs fine, I don't have any issues, just something I am worried about and I don't know why"...
Old 08-19-2010, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would try installing a fuel presure gauge, and see if there is a fluctuation in presure when the car sputter