Notices

spooling and boosting late

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 spooling and boosting late

alright so this happened about 3 days ago. i just came home from work and then i parked the car for 2 hours and then went back out. when i tried starting the car i heard like a snap noise??
I'm like wtf?? I'm thinking okay maybe a coupler or a clamp blew off. so i drove home staying out of boost maybe like 30 mph... going to my gf house who lives only about 10 mins way.
so i jack the car up and found nothing out of the particular. i found a clamp that was kinda off so i re corrected it.

i checked the turbo for any major shaft play,very very minimal play. turbo does not smoke. turbo is fine.

so now i doubled checked everythingi started the car and heard like a whistle noise coming from wastegate. aware that this is night time and come crickets were out so it was kinda hard to really hear that whistle noise and it was not from the bov. i heard around the wastegate area. so since i was already losing my mind cause of the crickets and trying to hear that slight faint whistle i went for a test drive.
as i was leaving and going into boost i would be able to heard the turbo spool from zero psi and so forth. but now i don't hear it spool until i get to like 5 psi. before the incident i would always here the turbo spool when trying to get on it but now it starts to spool later then how it was before. ***im sorry if its kinda confusing. I'm trying to tell it how it exactly happened/started. just slowly understanding the turbo game..

so it brings me to my next conclusion.
i checked all my couplers and clamps. exhaust piping is clear. no clogs. or cats. straight pipe. intercooler is fine. turbo is fine no smoke very very little shaft play.
I'm thinking could the wastegate have crapped out on me? its a turbonetics evolution.
i have a spare tial wastegate that I'm gonna try on and see if there is a difference.

anybody had this kinda problem before.

stock turbo gsr tuned,2.5 exhaust piping no cat straight pipe.. garett turbo.
car runs great. afr was looking good.

thanks for looking and reading. sorry for the long story I'm just trying to get out everything that happened so someone has the slightest clue whats going on.

please no neg comments. thanks
Old 12-14-2014, 10:57 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

If you can datalog your boost plot do that

You can test the wastegate for leaks

And the charge piping for leaks

You need a compressor tho
Old 12-14-2014, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: spooling and boosting late

Originally Posted by turbohatch96y7
If you can datalog your boost plot do that

You can test the wastegate for leaks

And the charge piping for leaks

You need a compressor tho
thanks for the reply.

yah i don't have a datalog.

since i don't have a compressor system i just tried my best of my ability to look really good spot maybe cracks or anything different..

im gonna try and change the wastegate and see if there is a difference.
Old 12-14-2014, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

*******update. just changed the wastegate. and did a little run around the block. it seems i got a little better response then the turbonectics. could the turbonectics be leaking or maybe a problem. there was a difference. turbo was a better responsive.

question. i have the turbo connected to the wastegate.
I've been hearing its back and forth. having the wastegate connected to vacuum manifold.
and leaving the turbo by itself?

thanks guys
Old 12-14-2014, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is your wastegate dumped into your downpipe? Almost sounds like it could be stuck open and or causing pressure issues
Old 12-14-2014, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by accordturb96
is your wastegate dumped into your downpipe? Almost sounds like it could be stuck open and or causing pressure issues

no its dumped atmosphere.
i changed the wastegate to the tial one and it was little better then the turbonetics.