Notices

sparkplug wire blowing/popping off under boost?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sparkplug wire blowing/popping off under boost?

well, i've been boosted for about 4-5 months and in the last couple months, i've noticed that the sparkplug wire on top of my valve cover (the part that connects to the sparkplug) keeps popping off under boost. my spark plug still fires because it doesn't get completely blown off but just sits there still providing current. i read somewhere that this happens because of the high crankcase pressure commonly found in honda motors. what can i do to fix this? i was thinking maybe somekind of different pcv setup like the dsm's?

[Modified by theory48, 9:47 PM 4/2/2003]
Old 04-02-2003, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: sparkplug wire blowing/popping off under boost? (theory48)

put one of those rice er riffic filters on the top of the valve cover(the large bung that goes to the stock intake). i had the same problem, and this fixed it. I primer-blacked mine out though
Old 04-02-2003, 01:02 PM

Default Re: sparkplug wire blowing/popping off under boost? (Tinker219)

well, i already have a breather filter on my valve cover so i don't think that's the problem. how about if i run a vacuum line from the valve cover to the intake side of the compressor?
Old 04-02-2003, 01:02 PM

There should be no pressure leaking through the threads of your spark plug if it is tightened peoperly. Double check to make sure you don't have any stripped threads and maybe replace the wire that keeps falling of, the connector inside may be worn out, regardless your plug wires should not be popping off like that.
Old 04-02-2003, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thatd be a good idea...SUPER suck that **** out... hehe
Old 04-02-2003, 01:06 PM

well, i already have a breather filter on my valve cover so i don't think that's the problem. how about if i run a vacuum line from the valve cover to the intake side of the compressor?
If you do that then oil from your VC will spatter into the compressor and you'll probably start smoking.
Old 04-02-2003, 01:13 PM

Default Re: sparkplug wire blowing/popping off under boost? (Diego Boost)

really? i've noticed that alot of the complete turbo kits have a bung to attach a vacuum line on the intake pipe that goes to the compressor.
Old 04-02-2003, 01:18 PM

you're right, I was thinking of somthing else. Been a long day, sorry.
Old 04-02-2003, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

really? i've noticed that alot of the complete turbo kits have a bung to attach a vacuum line on the intake pipe that goes to the compressor.
I've never seen that on any kit. My drag kit wasnt like that.
Old 04-03-2003, 12:50 AM

Default Re: sparkplug wire blowing/popping off under boost? (BoostedSi)

so i should just get a new spark plug wire and it would be cool?
Old 04-03-2003, 01:18 AM
Better than steak

What kinda of wires do you have?
Old 04-03-2003, 03:12 AM

Default Re: sparkplug wire blowing/popping off under boost? (Arturbo)

i'm using stock wires w/ ngk bkr3e sparkplugs
Old 04-03-2003, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i know MSDs are knwo for doing that , mine did , i sent em back and got new ones and fine now .
Old 04-03-2003, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: sparkplug wire blowing/popping off under boost? (itr206)

I've never had that problem with factory honda wires, experienced it several times
with aftermarket wires.
Old 04-04-2003, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sparkplug wire blowing/popping off under boost? (GITWIDIT)

had same peob shitty mad wires
Old 04-04-2003, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sparkplug wire blowing/popping off under boost? (h22 civic)

msd wires
Old 04-04-2003, 06:00 PM

Default Re: sparkplug wire blowing/popping off under boost? (Diego Boost)

There should be no pressure leaking through the threads of your spark plug if it is tightened peoperly.

The pressure isn't going past the threads on the spark plug... it's escaping past the the seals that on the inside (backside) of the valve cover. There are 4 rubber seals that keep oil from going into your spark plug channels that should be replaced whenever you replace the valve cover gasket. Check those... however, if those were leaking you'd see a little bit of oil on your spark plug boots also. If you're not seeing this, it's most likely the plug wire just comming off from viabrations. Do this... take the spark plug wire off the plug and look into the bottom of it. See that brass connector that clamps onto the top of the spark plug. Use a pair of needle-nose pliars and slightly (SLIGHTLY!) pinch it. Now when the plug engages on the spark plug it'll hold a lot snugger. If you pinch it too much you'll have problem getting the wire back onto the plug. Don't panic, just pull it back out and spread the brass fitting a little bit.

If this is to intensive and you want to spend money, get some new wire... stocks are fine... because this is happening because you're wires are prolly old and the engage clip is worn out.

BTW, if you run a hose from the valve cover to the intake tube run it after your air filter, but before the turbo. If you do it after the turbo (i.e. compression side of pipe) you'll have some nice oil control problems to deal with and enjoy. Also, running a ricer boy filter on top of your valve cover isn't a good idea either. You're not sucking air into the valve cover through that point, you're sucking it out. Putting a filter on that point just f's up your PVC system.

Enjoy!
Old 04-06-2003, 12:56 PM

Default Re: sparkplug wire blowing/popping off under boost? (JRSCCivic98)

There should be no pressure leaking through the threads of your spark plug if it is tightened peoperly.

The pressure isn't going past the threads on the spark plug... it's escaping past the the seals that on the inside (backside) of the valve cover. There are 4 rubber seals that keep oil from going into your spark plug channels that should be replaced whenever you replace the valve cover gasket. Check those... however, if those were leaking you'd see a little bit of oil on your spark plug boots also. If you're not seeing this, it's most likely the plug wire just comming off from viabrations. Do this... take the spark plug wire off the plug and look into the bottom of it. See that brass connector that clamps onto the top of the spark plug. Use a pair of needle-nose pliars and slightly (SLIGHTLY!) pinch it. Now when the plug engages on the spark plug it'll hold a lot snugger. If you pinch it too much you'll have problem getting the wire back onto the plug. Don't panic, just pull it back out and spread the brass fitting a little bit.

If this is to intensive and you want to spend money, get some new wire... stocks are fine... because this is happening because you're wires are prolly old and the engage clip is worn out.

BTW, if you run a hose from the valve cover to the intake tube run it after your air filter, but before the turbo. If you do it after the turbo (i.e. compression side of pipe) you'll have some nice oil control problems to deal with and enjoy. Also, running a ricer boy filter on top of your valve cover isn't a good idea either. You're not sucking air into the valve cover through that point, you're sucking it out. Putting a filter on that point just f's up your PVC system.

Enjoy!
thanx for the info if the needle nose doesn't fix it, i guess i'll just go and get a new one. Do they sell just one wire or do i have to get the whole set? Also, it will be good to run a vacuum line to the filter from the valve cover then right?