Notices

Spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 07:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plugs

I have read alot on spark plugs for a boost set up, i am looking at the NGK BKR7E but which ones?? platmium, iridium, copper etc etc... input please
Old 04-19-2005, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Spark plugs (NewportSI)

I stick to copper cores... cheap and reliable.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:18 AM

Default Re: Spark plugs (twkdCD595)

Im not looking for cheep , im looking for the ones that run the best
Old 04-19-2005, 07:25 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by twkdCD595 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I stick to copper cores... cheap and reliable. </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><FONT COLOR="red">why do people keep on buying those lower crap material spark plugs when it's been proven that iridium is the best there is and they out last any spark plugs and in the long run you save even more money because you don't have to change your spark plugs so many times.</FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 04-19-2005, 07:27 AM

(4:11 PM 4/18/2005) CalGSR99: I just bought some NGK iridium plugs too. Are you turbocharged too? Could you notice a difference with the plugs or no? thanks.

(4:14 PM 4/18/2005) H-T: I've had the NGK iridium plugs when I was still all motor. I just gapped them down when I added the turbo.

(4:15 PM 4/18/2005) CalGSR99: Cool. I researched a lot and a lot of people knocked them. I went straight to the NGK website and read they they were the best. More expensive yes but i think they are worth it in the long run too.

(4:20 PM 4/18/2005) H-T: Ask anyone who has them and ask anyone who doesn't have them you will get two different feedback. The people who doesn't have them because they can't afforrd it and choose to bash it and try do defend the lower crap. Like people that say all motor is best and screw turbo. Little do they know the power of the darkside (Forced Induction) lol....

(4:22 PM 4/18/2005) CalGSR99: Nice to hear that. I bought them because they have depper kernel penetration. You will get better combustion properties. I would rather dish out the extra 10 bucks and add a little more safety.

(4:24 PM 4/18/2005) CalGSR99: I agree with you. I must have spent 5 hours reading on H-T and people alwasy argue that they are too expensive. ****, it only cost like 5 bucks more than regular. These are the same people that will pump lower octaine to save .05 cents per gallon. Then they go to the bar and blow money buying 4.75 Budweisers and 3.50 jello shots.

Modified by H-T at 10:46 AM 4/19/2005
Old 04-19-2005, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Omg...I will rephrase it for you then... THEY RUN THE BEST and they happen to be cheap/ reliable plugs to boot.

Otherwise your other option is obviously to <U>waste excessive amounts of money on the overpriced plugs so you simply dont have to change them as often</U> (lazy ***)... I could give a **** really, it was just my 2 cents and I know many (including myself) who make ALOT of power on the copper core ngk-r's.

edit: to note copper is by far not considered crap material... although I could just be biased cause I happen to work for an electrical contractor.

Modified by twkdCD595 at 10:52 AM 4/19/2005
Old 04-19-2005, 07:29 AM

Default Re: Spark plugs (H-T)

Thanks alot
Old 04-19-2005, 07:52 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by twkdCD595 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
edit: to note copper is by far not considered crap material... although I could just be biased cause I happen to work for an electrical contractor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Then you should of known=Why NGK Iridium? More Durability and a Higher Melting Point compared to Platinum & Copper, better center electrode anti-oxidation and anti-erosion, improved ignition, superior anti-fouling, lower required voltage, new metal shell plating process for better anti-corrosion.

Old 04-19-2005, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I do know and need no correction, thank you.

I feel like I am in an infommercial suddenly... lol.

To note: Are you making your comparison between platinum and iridium... I was talking copper (nice, you edited it quickly to correct yourself). Some dont mind changing plugs more often, cause I personally find myself checking them out of routine anyways (its not like they are hard to get to).
Old 04-19-2005, 08:03 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Denso INC. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Iridium Power has been tested in many arenas. The most common area of testing has been on the track. There are currently many people using the plugs in import drag racing, with results being quite favorable. Some racers have seen E.T.’s decrease by a tenth and less fuel consumption during a pass. Circle track racers using the plugs notice better acceleration coming out of corners and more consistent idling. The other area where the plugs have been tested are on good old dynos. The results have indicated horsepower increases over stock plugs of 2-3 Hp in a naturally aspirated engine and 27 Hp in a supercharged/turbocharged engine as seen in the January 2003 issue of 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords magazine*

*Copies of 5.0 magazine article and/or various applicable dynographs are available from DENSO upon request. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Not NGK but same material & design....

http://www.densoiridium.com/faq.php
Old 04-19-2005, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yawn... thats hardly sells me really... a person can very easily influence test results to make quite a measureable difference in power.

2-3 hp n/a is nothing really, there is that much or more margin for error in real world testing. same with 27 hp more on a blown motor, none the less compared to the huge total output of the engine being tested, the 27 hp could be had with a simple temperature change.

Actually... I have used an Iridium one time and it was in an ls1 application, cause of how hard they are to change... well, ended up fouling them on the dyno anyways and changing to ngk-r tr55's (copper core). I did not have a good experience with them initially and it has probably made me biased.

To each his own really.. if thats really what you like then more power to you... he originally asked for opinions and then hates on me for posting mine.... whatever it's out there.

edit: btw I respect you completely and am not being a devils advocate to up my post count or something...

Modified by twkdCD595 at 11:30 AM 4/19/2005
Old 04-19-2005, 08:32 AM

I swapped the denso iridiums back to the NGK v groove's because when your running higher boost ive known the strap drop off the iridium plugs and will cause a lot more problems than having too change the plugs more oftem. You should still take them out to check the gaps even on iridium plugs so its not really labour saving.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:17 AM

Default Re: Spark plugs (crispydee)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crispydee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I swapped the denso iridiums back to the NGK v groove's because when your running higher boost ive known the strap drop off the iridium plugs and will cause a lot more problems than having too change the plugs more oftem. You should still take them out to check the gaps even on iridium plugs so its not really labour saving.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What strap? I've never had any problems with mine...you guys keep running what your running and I'll keep running what I'm running..freedom of choice...but I've chosen the better stuff...

I guess you guys have not seen the comparison of N/A guys V.S. Turbo guys in the last post..until you know the full truth you will defend what you only know...

And trust me I use to defend all motor like hell! I've even tried to wager money until I lost and decided to join the Darkside too.

Modified by H-T at 1:00 PM 4/19/2005
Old 04-19-2005, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

haha this thread is funny. but anyways. not anybody has the same opinion on things. some things just run better with different stuff also. but i do agree with the constant checking of your plugs. so either way, if you check you plugs often like some of us do, it really wouldnt save you any time to get iridium.
and the na vs boost thing. both have their pros. na you dont need alot of power to run as fast as a 600hp turbo engine. na great throttle response. turbo great turbine sound. ahha jk great topend depending what turbo. na dependable consistent power band. turbo whiplash effect. etc etc.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:58 AM

Default Re: Spark plugs (gldndrgn14)

Iridium is more than longtivity! It's More Durability and a Higher Melting Point compared to Platinum & Copper, better center electrode anti-oxidation and anti-erosion, improved ignition, superior anti-fouling, Bigger sparks form your voltage.

I thought I posted it already. Damn! some people just hate reading. I guess that's why they are getting mixed messages and go with the crap stuff....

Modified by H-T at 2:24 PM 4/19/2005
Old 04-19-2005, 10:05 AM

If I was a autopart performance shop I'll not even recommend those inferior crap.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:05 AM

Here is some Physics & History for you idiots..now learn and exercise what you just learned.

http://www.densoiridium.com/originofiridium.php
Old 04-19-2005, 11:29 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Iridium is more than longtivity! It's More Durability and a Higher Melting Point compared to Platinum & Copper, better center electrode anti-oxidation and anti-erosion, improved ignition, superior anti-fouling, Bigger sparks form your voltage.

I thought it posted it already. Damn! some people just hate reading. I guess that's why they are getting mixed messages and go with the crap stuff....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Anti-erosion, anti-oxidation, and anti-fouling all relate to longevity. The higher melting point of iridium (7466 degrees) is irrelevant. How often do you see people melting their copper plugs? A little fyi, Pure copper's melting point is 1981 degrees, if you combustion chamber temps are hotter than that, your gonna be melting more than your spark plugs. Copper is also a better conducter than iridium, so I'm not understanding your argument. The only reason to run iridium plugs is if you are too lazy to change them out often or if your tune makes your car foul plugs like crazy.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:45 AM

Default Re: Spark plugs (Lightning Orders)

Keep informing me until I learn my lesson..keep it coming...
Old 04-19-2005, 11:49 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lightning Orders &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Anti-erosion, anti-oxidation, and anti-fouling all relate to longevity. The higher melting point of iridium (7466 degrees) is irrelevant. How often do you see people melting their copper plugs? A little fyi, Pure copper's melting point is 1981 degrees, if you combustion chamber temps are hotter than that, your gonna be melting more than your spark plugs. Copper is also a better conducter than iridium, so I'm not understanding your argument. The only reason to run iridium plugs is if you are too lazy to change them out often or if your tune makes your car foul plugs like crazy.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So can you explain why my car starts up faster when I whiched over to iridium from copper. I guess because it produces a better spark, I guess...??? explain that?
Old 04-19-2005, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So can you explain why my car starts up faster when I whiched over to iridium from copper. I guess because it produces a better spark, I guess...??? explain that?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Or maybe you did not wait as long to turn the key...

Lightning Order you should charge him for science lesson. to you for more patience than me.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:19 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So can you explain why my car starts up faster when I whiched over to iridium from copper. I guess because it produces a better spark, I guess...??? explain that?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you sure that your copper plugs weren't old and beginning to foul? Did you test a new set of coppers versus a new set of iridiums?

If they were both brand new sets, do you have anything a little more scientific to back up your claims? I find it hard to believe that your car started noticeably quicker just from changing to a different plug material.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:24 PM

It was a brand new set of copper NGK and NGK Iridium IX both Heat range 7 and gapped down to .28 since I'm boosting. I was amazed how a different pair of spark plug will change the characteristics of the car.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:43 PM

Copper is a better conductor than Platinum and Iridium and no one is arguing that. The point is that using iridium allows NGK and DENSO to make better DESIGNS that are not possible with copper. Every single place i went to research states this. Copper plugs have 2-2.5 mm center electrodes while the NGK iridium has a 0.7mm center. People prefer copper ones because they are cheaper and they would rather switch them out faster. I run iridiums and switch them at the same rate if need be but dish out a couple extra bucks. The gains might not be noticeable but there are certainly other advantages. But many people here run copper ones and they do that job. So to each his own.

Sparkplugs.com------------
"Iridium allows NGK engineers to design an ultra-fine (0.7mm)center electrode reducing the voltage requirement for spark. This allows for a brighter, stronger spark from your existing ignition system. "

Sparkplugs.com-----
Advantages of Iridium spark plug types
Because of the properties of Iridium, the spark plugs centre electrode can be made with a much smaller diameter than with platinum types (usually 0.8mm for NGK and 0.7mm for Denso), Gold or gold palladium and copper/nickel types. This means that spark plugs potential difference is more concentrated and hence less 'spark jump' voltage is required - this can be as much as 5,000 volts less than with standard plug types (copper). Ignition is improved and less strain is placed on the ignition system. Benefits of improved ignition/combustion include better fuel economy, increased power/acceleration and especially better throttle response.

From NGK.com------------
The natural properties of Iridium offered NGK the opportunity to create one of the world's finest spark plugs. The result are spark plugs that require less voltage to spark, burns fuel more efficiently, sparks at leaner air/fuel mixtures, and delivers higher horsepower and better gas mileage.
NGK offers two choices of this precious metal plug:
The Iridium - A high quality iridium plug installed as original equipment (OE) in the automotive industry since 1994, and the new Iridium IX® - The ultimate evolution of a performance spark plug.

Another study------
Spark plugs with fine wire center electrodes operate better for two reasons, first, a smaller center electrode requires less voltage to jump the gap. This means fewer misfires, which will be seen in higher mileage and more horsepower. The second reason is smaller center electrodes reduces quenching. The smaller center electrodes have required exotic metals such as platinum or iridium so that they can still maintain (and sometimes surpass) the longevity of a traditional spark plug. NGK makes both platinum fine wire (1.1mm diameter center electrode) plugs and Iridium ultra-fine wire (0.7mm diameter center electrode), a traditional center electrode is typically 2.0 to 2.5mm.

Old 04-19-2005, 12:43 PM

I'm very interested in this thread. Unfortunatly, I don't know too much on spark plugs themselves, but spark yes. First Question, will the Iridium make the burn hotter at all..or is that dictated by the heat range only. Second, is the actual ignitor area look different?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Spark plugs