Notices

Someone get the record straight.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone get the record straight.

I have done some research on the Vortech supercharger kit or the LS, B16, and GSR or Type R and from my gathering, it seems like they make awsome horsepower, but not as much torque in retrospect. On top of this, my understanding is that on a B16 it really doesn't start to pull hard until 5k and up. On a GSR or LS you might say it starts to shine somewhere between 4-4.5k.

I told a friend that not too many people Rock them because there is so much low end power and mid range that just isn't there with the kits. That is why you see the 99-00 SI's running only mid 14's or even the GSR's running the same times because they are only a high horsepower machine with these kits. My friend seems to think that I am wrong. That these superchargers start to spool up around 1600 rpms. He says that's what makes the Vortech a good kit, cause it's belt driven. I told him it is linear power based on engine speed. He thinks that just because it is belt driven, that it means its gonna spool right away. If that was the case, you would think you would be fully boosted by 4k.

Then he comes back with the saying that maybe they don't hit full boost until 5.5k rpms, but they still start to spool by 1650 or so. I would think that if they spooled that quick, that it would be fully boosted by 3,500 at least, but that is why I ask you guys. I have yet to drive or ride in a Vortech supercharged car.

I think we need to set my friend in his place and clarify this for people thinking that belt driven means instant boost. Maybe for the Roots, but not the Centrifigal supercharger.

Old 07-28-2004, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Someone get the record straight. (ITRpwrdEG)

If you have seen the dynographs, they seem to pretty linear. basically straight up with the rpm. Not sure if that is what you are asking, but I do not believe you get the same lag effect as you do with a regular turbo.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Someone get the record straight. (ITRpwrdEG)

I had a vortech in my si. It does start buliding boost instantly but the problem is that it doesn't see full boost until redline, like any other sc. The power output is similiar to a large turbo I think. Not much gain at the bottom but a nice high end. Another problem is getting the full potential of the kit. If you want 10lbs, you have to get a 10lbs pulley or a crv crank. Ifr you want, ~13-14, you'll need both. Anything over that, you'll want to upgrade the entire 4-rib pulley setup to an 8-rib setup to avoid belt slipping. At the end, you'll probably spend more money to see 14+ psi than if you had gone turbo.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Someone get the record straight. (braintree)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by braintree &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had a vortech in my si. It does start buliding boost instantly but the problem is that it doesn't see full boost until redline.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly what I was going to say. If you want instant full boost, the Roots type Supercharger is the route you want to go with.

Khoi
Old 07-28-2004, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Someone get the record straight. (Sohc Driver)

parasidic drag. I had a vortech on my si with the 10 pulley. It does not really start to pull until about 5k and pulls hard to redline. If you are looking for more than 10lbs you need to go turbo, I did. Turbo'ed the **** oout of it until I busted ringlands on all 4 pistons. Rebuilt it and it is great.

SOmething else, it only made 207 to the wheels with just the sc added. I had the polished and aftercooled kit too.