Notices

some relatively basic Q's for a work in progress

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default some relatively basic Q's for a work in progress

so i finally get to work on my car again, and im going turbo. will be in a stock B20B that i intend on running the sh*t out of while i build another block on the side.
and keep in mind im not a complete noob, but i have been out of the loop for a long while. although i was looking into allmotor then, so i need lots of little turbo tips :D

so my questions...

-does a vtec head make that much diff in turbo at all? or would that only be under extreme end of the spectrum. as i have a guy selling a ported LS head and im not sure. and with the diff valve size.

-are there any good turbo cams out? that i can go ahead and get now while i put the kit together. or is stock still best.

-whats a good nonvtec obd1 ecu (and good for hondata of course)? i still have my P28 from wanting allmotor, but id like to sell it and get some extra money for the project if i can

and i had more but i dont remember right now
Old 08-24-2004, 07:48 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: some relatively basic Q's for a work in progress (night)

1. vttec does help when boosting, go look at dyno graphs from non-vtecc and vtec motors.
2. the obd1 ecu is better in that it doesn't have as many emission controls, etc

anyone care to elaborate, i'm too tired to think
Old 08-25-2004, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: some relatively basic Q's for a work in progress (wantboost)

so then maybe get the ported LS head and maybe bigger vales later on?
or is it more the way the head flows rather than the valve diffs.
i guess i would expect vtec to be better, but is it even that great a % with boost?

some more ive remembered:

-the t3/t4e seems to be the choice turbo from my reading so far. i assume that will be ideal for quick spool with the 2liter and enough to push some decent numbers?

-and forget the ecu question. im gonna keep the p28 and use uberdate now. already ordered the parts last night :D.

-what would be the limit of some 450 dsm injectors? most likely not even an issue with stock block power?

-recommend me a rail mount fuel pump. although considereing staying stock, as honda's is tough as hell. had it at 70+psi for ~2 years and i got it out of a junkyard. i would be getting a new, but its tempting cuz i get 20% off dealer parts

-and a recommended manifold if yall are feeling extra nice today. will be no a/c or p/s so anything you think is worthy

Modified by night at 7:52 PM 8/25/2004
Old 08-25-2004, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: some relatively basic Q's for a work in progress (night)

As far as turbo cams go, Crower makes a set for non-vtec motors, and for vtec the cams of choice for turbo seem to be GSR cams. the 450 cc's will be enough for your setup with some decent tuning.