Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Honda and Acura Technical Forums > Forced Induction
Reload this Page >

Solid centre or spring clutch- what are the differences for my needs?

Solid centre or spring clutch- what are the differences for my needs?

Old 02-08-2019, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Solid centre or spring clutch- what are the differences for my needs?

hi guys just want to know Wat clutch best for a daily driven boosted b16 making around 330whp
I don't want a clutch that it too stiff on my foot as i drive d car daily. Shud I go with solid centre or a spring centre clutch? And what's the advantage and disadvantage of both?
Old 02-08-2019, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: Solid centre or spring clutch- what are the differences for my needs?

Definitely go with a sprung clutch. The unsprung chatter and are much harder on drivetrain parts and not needed for that power level.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: Solid centre or spring clutch- what are the differences for my needs?

Originally Posted by K7-1Ktrevor View Post
Definitely go with a sprung clutch. The unsprung chatter and are much harder on drivetrain parts and not needed for that power level.
thanks.i was thinking sprung but this was after I bought a solid center cause last clutch I had one of the springs fell out an got stuck in between the pressure plate. But if i install the solid centre will it do any damage over time on a daily driver?
Old 02-08-2019, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thugsbryan View Post

But if i install the solid centre will it do any damage over time on a daily driver?
Answered already... See below..

Originally Posted by K7-1Ktrevor View Post
The unsprung chatter and are much harder on drivetrain parts.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

solid [unsprung] clutch discs are FOR RACE USE ONLY. This does NOT mean a street car that gets raced occasionally, it means TRACK ONLY cars that only use wrinklewall tires at all times.
Street cars require sprung clutch discs.
Sure, some people use solid discs on the street. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. fact of the matter is, using an unsprung clutch on the street WILL damage your gears, axles, bearings, etc etc.

A spring popping out of the disc is the result of a faulty disc and/or doing high rpm clutch dumps. which are ridiculously stupid and accomplish absolutely nothing.

Also to note, clutches are rated by torque, not HP. And they are rated by crankshaft torque, not torque measured at the wheels on a dyno. Meaning if your car makes 300ft/lbs of tq on a dyno, it's making closer to 350 at the crank, and you will want a clutch rated for 350+tq.

Lastly, don't let anyone tell you that sprung clutches can't hold torque. I daily my car, and abuse it several times every day. Currently making 420tq at the wheels (460-500 tq at the crank). Sprung clutch, zero issues ever. I am not kind to my car.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by motoxxxman View Post
solid [unsprung] clutch discs are FOR RACE USE ONLY. This does NOT mean a street car that gets raced occasionally, it means TRACK ONLY cars that only use wrinklewall tires at all times.
Street cars require sprung clutch discs.
Sure, some people use solid discs on the street. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. fact of the matter is, using an unsprung clutch on the street WILL damage your gears, axles, bearings, etc etc.

A spring popping out of the disc is the result of a faulty disc and/or doing high rpm clutch dumps. which are ridiculously stupid and accomplish absolutely nothing.

Also to note, clutches are rated by torque, not HP. And they are rated by crankshaft torque, not torque measured at the wheels on a dyno. Meaning if your car makes 300ft/lbs of tq on a dyno, it's making closer to 350 at the crank, and you will want a clutch rated for 350+tq.

Lastly, don't let anyone tell you that sprung clutches can't hold torque. I daily my car, and abuse it several times every day. Currently making 420tq at the wheels (460-500 tq at the crank). Sprung clutch, zero issues ever. I am not kind to my car.
Thanks man, this has shed some light, I will have to sell this solid centre I have an buy a spring clutch
Old 02-13-2019, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by thugsbryan View Post
Thanks man, this has shed some light, I will have to sell this solid centre I have an buy a spring clutch
yes you will, sir.. wow.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: