Notices

SOHC worth putting boost to?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2002, 09:31 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOHC worth putting boost to?

Is it worth boosting the d16z6? How comparable is a gsr swap in a hatch to a d16 at 7psi? If it's pretty close i may just opt for the gsr swap and boost it down the line.

Travis
Old 09-15-2002, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SOHC worth putting boost to? (mantic6t9)

Is it worth boosting the d16z6? How comparable is a gsr swap in a hatch to a d16 at 7psi? If it's pretty close i may just opt for the gsr swap and boost it down the line.

Travis
Well I always see people knocking working on a SOHC motor period. I know it's cause it won't have near the potential as a swap. I realized when I started putting together my turbo kit that u have to ask yourself a couple questions. What do you think your power goal is (realistically) eventually (1/4 mile or just hp)? And...what's your budget like?

If your looking for a lil more oomph and fun driving w/ a decently quick (for a honda anyway) car, turboing the d16 is a good route, especially if you don't want to dump LOTS of money into it and go all out on it. If you're looking for like 300-400+ whp, eventually, I personally wouldn't bother because it take a lot to make a d16 make that kind of power.

Budget also plays a good part. Damn right I wish I could put down 300-400whp, but my budget can't support that anytime soon (19yr old college student.... shitty). If you don't think you want to be dumping thousands into a car, go with the sohc turbo. You said you're thinking about the GSR swap, if you can afford to buy it and boost it go ahead. By all means one of the best choices if u wanna make power. Anyway hope that helps and didn't confuse the snot outta you.

Marc
Old 09-15-2002, 10:14 AM
Trial User

Default Re: SOHC worth putting boost to? (CivicRyda2k)

My 1/4 time goal is 12s. I've heard it's pretty hard to get the d16z6 into that time bracket. What are the realistic times for a stock blocked d16 and turbo? I'm only planning on running 7psi at the moment. What kind of times can be expected with that? My plans were at fist to boost, i may still do so. But if a swap will make about the same power and get me down the 1/4 in the same time or close to i think i would rather have the swap and boost it later. Used bseries turbo kits are everywhere.
Old 09-15-2002, 10:36 AM

My 1/4 time goal is 12s. I've heard it's pretty hard to get the d16z6 into that time bracket. What are the realistic times for a stock blocked d16 and turbo? I'm only planning on running 7psi at the moment. What kind of times can be expected with that? My plans were at fist to boost, i may still do so. But if a swap will make about the same power and get me down the 1/4 in the same time or close to i think i would rather have the swap and boost it later. Used bseries turbo kits are everywhere.
If that is you true goals, a swap/turbo would be best.. I am only saying this from what you have posted.

I myself have 00 Ex w/ 35k on the motor (bought the car new). I have looked into get a swap then turbo *ls or b20* but then I didn't rule out keeping my for d16.
Reason being:

1- The condition of the motor, with a swap you are unsure of mileage and wear. And if boosting you wanna make sure the motor is solid first.

2- What are looking to do w/ the car, realistic whp/ 1/4 times..

3- The overall cost of your build up.

With swap more pwr is to be made along w/ a nice $$ tag. Same applies to the d16 to a certain point.

Like CivicRyda2K stated it all in what you wanna do and what your budget can afford.
Old 09-15-2002, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: SOHC worth putting boost to? (Midwestrider)

If you're not looking for all-out power, i'd stick with the D-series engine, and turbocharge it. If you want to make huge power (300+ HP) then i'd do the B18C swap, and do the turbo later. The modifications to a D-series will turn out cheaper IMHO.. Grab a set of the piston/rods that i'm making for H-T people (link in my signature), and setup some sort of decent engine management with a blockguard, and you can push 14-18psi daily.
Old 09-15-2002, 11:14 AM
New User

Default Re: SOHC worth putting boost to? (turbopanda)

swap to a 95+ b series first. always. turbo second.
Old 09-15-2002, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SOHC worth putting boost to? (jinxproof99)

glad to see midwestrider and turbopanda agree w/ me. although jinxproof posted the best combo for making power in a honda:

swap to a 95+ b series first. always. turbo second.
but,like i said, your budget/goals should determine your decision, not the hype of getting a swap or whatever (seems like that's how it is with some people). If you do it that way, you won't have to worry about dumping all the money into the car when your not that serious or on the other end, dumping all the money into a sohc and ending up w/ a fast sohc but a slow honda
Old 09-15-2002, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Lets just put it this way, if you want something that will be fast on the streets, stay with the d-series. If you want something fast at the track go with a swap. There is a difference between street fast and track fast, on the streets a lot of people will think they are fast because they have a body kit, at the track people know what they are doing and will pound a d-series into the ground (most of the time).
Old 09-15-2002, 11:54 AM

Default Re: SOHC worth putting boost to? (genop)

There was a guy on here that hit 12.64 with his SOHC VTEC turbo setup running i think 10psi max in a hatchback, this was a stock motor but the car was definately gutted, i forgot his username. B-series cost money, b-series turbo kits cost even more money but they will net you more power with some work.
Old 09-15-2002, 11:56 AM

Default Re: SOHC worth putting boost to? (maddskilzz)

by the way the answer to your question is Yes, It is definately worth it because d-series engines are a dime-a-dozen, can't say the same for b-series
Old 09-15-2002, 12:06 PM

Can we make this another sohc vs dohc debate post.
I am sure most know the pro/cons on either...

Old 09-15-2002, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good point, if you have no experience with turbos, stick with the d-series for now. Reason being, you will probably break something down the line and getting d-series parts is cheap and easy. B-series are easy to find, but sometimes the price is much higher. Hell, I got a set of brand new crower rods for d-series motor from a guy for like $300, just because they were for d-series and he knew no one was going to pay full price.
Old 09-15-2002, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yah... it's like this...

d-series motor complete swap $500-600
b-series motor complete swap $2000-3000

just in the money aspect. hands down though if you want a lot of power, b-series is what u want
Old 09-15-2002, 03:54 PM
Trial User

I'm not looking to be the "fastest" but i want to be quick. At least faster then a ITR. I want to stick with the d-series for the reasons stated above. Everything will have to be done on a budget. The questions is if i want to swap and wait longer to make more power. For the most part i'm leaning toward useing the engine i have now. I figure it will atleast cost me $4000 to go turbo. I can get a ITR engine for $500 more and i can install it myself. I know plenty of people in the 13s with that setup. Keep the comments coming.

Travis
Old 09-15-2002, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

2 guys here in town running fmax kits with the MF2 are running 12.7-13.0 at the track. Both on D16Y8's.
Old 09-15-2002, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SOHC worth putting boost to? (turbocoupe)

If you plan on spending $4000 on your turbo setup, you will be faster than an ITR. Assuming you buy good quality parts, besides the sound of a blow off valve is so nice why go with a swap.
Old 09-15-2002, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

within the month i should have my sohc boosted.. yay.... geno, did you figure out hte problem with your car yet?? let me know whenever you want some tuning done...
Old 09-15-2002, 05:22 PM

I'm not looking to be the "fastest" but i want to be quick. At least faster then a ITR. I13s with that setup.
I see stock ITR's at my local track running 15.2's all night long and 14.8's at their fastest with $4000 invested in a SOHC the fmax kit alone will bring you 12's check their website, they had a NON VTEC 6g hatchback pulling 12.7's at 17psi, this car ran for over a year with no problems. The fmax kit is the most complete kit for the single cams, from MSD boost timing master to fuel pump its all there. I don't think any of the SOHC turbo hatchback owners on here worry about NA type r's I know I don't, even when they are in hatchbacks. losing is losing and winning is winning.
Old 09-15-2002, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SOHC worth putting boost to? (ED9Hybrid)

yea I figured it out. This is going to sound dumb, dont flame. I bought my arias pistons used from someone and didnt change the rings when I put the pistons in. Did a compression test and the numbers were sick....pulled the head friday and found that the #3 cylinder had oil puddling in it. Head gasket looked fine, but I am going to change it anyway. I dont think any of the rings really sealed, but I know for sure that the #3 didnt So I have to order new rings (any suggestions on brand are welcome) and I also got one of the o2 simulators that zip sells. So after I get these parts and get it put back together it better work
Old 09-15-2002, 05:56 PM
Trial User

I plan on using the Apex kit for my setup. I have a question though. What is involved with adding an external waste gate? I've head nothing but good so far on the apex kit, granted it hasn't been out long. I'm going with that kit for the ball bearing turbo and fitment it suposed to be great. It's a must for me to keep my A/C as well. Does the apex kit sound like a good start?

Travis
Old 09-15-2002, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

to convert to an external wastegate you need to have the internal flapper welded shut on the turbo, then you have to add a flange to the manifold for the external wastegate to sit.
Old 09-15-2002, 06:11 PM
Trial User

What other manifolds are compatable with the apex turbo that will allow me to keep my A/C, have good clearance, and have a flange for a external waste gate?
Old 09-15-2002, 06:21 PM

All SOHC kits let you keep a/c thats what i think, i'm not sure on that but most kits do let you keep a/c, why do you want ext. watsegate its not really neccesary for your application.
Old 09-15-2002, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you arent building your motor I assume you arent going to try and push this thing past 10psi or so. An internal wastegate is fine for that sort of application. Spend that money on an electronic boost controller so you can raise boost levels and you will be fine.
Old 09-15-2002, 06:45 PM
Trial User

Yes i do plan on building my motor. At the moment i'm just going to keep it at 7psi untill i'm used to it. I will be boosting over 10psi. I want to build my motor to be able to run 12psi all day. So are there any manifolds compatible with the apex turbo?

Quick Reply: SOHC worth putting boost to?