Notices

SOHC likes to over heat

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2002, 03:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOHC likes to over heat

Since going turbo my engine temp has gone up significantly. I had my rad recored just before I put the turbo on so its in good shape (still the small civic rad though).

After being on the gas or on a hot day the temp goes up on my cyl head temp gauge so I try to take it easy so as my dash temp gauge don't rise, and most times it don't. But non the less my temp gauge I have instaled in my head is usually up around 90c, which is no good.

So will putting in a new bigger rad help? I was thinking an integra rad? If any of you know a rad I can drop in with no probs let me know ill ya. I also have my thermostat taken out and a restrictor plate put in, but still, she likes to get hot. This is even after a rebuild with a new head gasket and ****.

Help
Old 08-20-2002, 04:27 AM
New User

Default Re: SOHC likes to over heat (Hybrid)

Your rad is undersized. Do you ahve the dual core small rad? If not, it cannot support the extra heat load without help. Try Redline Water wetter. That stuff works good. It should help your high temp problems, it makes the rad more efficient.

try it.

Randy
Old 08-20-2002, 04:31 AM

Ok, first of all if you're water temp is reading 90 degrees C then it's fine. For your information the stock fan switch doesn't kick the fan on until 93C. I know this because I have a PowerFC and that's what I see all the time. I have a friend that would sometimes overheat after going turbo on a SOHC but that can be solved by just installing a FAL fan. Overheating on SOHC cars only happens if you install an intercooler. The chitty Civic rad is not good enough to deal with less air going through it because the intercooler is blocking it.
Old 08-20-2002, 06:55 AM

Default Re: SOHC likes to over heat (JRSCCivic98)

Yeah but when I up around 90c it doesn't take much to bump it up over that.

If I try to get a larger integra fan do you guy's think that would be sufficient? Or just throw out the cash for a fal fan.

I just though of an idea. Maybe an integra rad plus dual civic fans mounted on it? Kind of like a cheap FAL set up ya know.

I was going to try water wetter but diden't want to throw cash on a gimmik. But if it works I may give it a try.
Old 08-20-2002, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SOHC likes to over heat (JRSCCivic98)

Ok, first of all if you're water temp is reading 90 degrees C then it's fine. For your information the stock fan switch doesn't kick the fan on until 93C. I know this because I have a PowerFC and that's what I see all the time. I have a friend that would sometimes overheat after going turbo on a SOHC but that can be solved by just installing a FAL fan. Overheating on SOHC cars only happens if you install an intercooler. The chitty Civic rad is not good enough to deal with less air going through it because the intercooler is blocking it.
ahh i c thank you now i know why i over heat...... time to get a new radiator then..... thanks

even thoguh this isn't my post still helped me
Old 08-20-2002, 07:00 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

water wetter is not a gimmick. Try maybe going with a dual core radiator if it doesn't help, one from the del sol vtec
Old 08-20-2002, 08:04 AM

Default Re: SOHC likes to over heat (GraphiteAccord)

When you say del sol vtec do you mean dohc vtec? Is the rad the same size as the regular civic fan but just dual core?

Do the tegs come with a large dual core, or just a large rad in general.
Old 08-20-2002, 08:29 AM

... take a look... its an integra radiator swap into a civic...

http://tech.hybridgarage.com/tech/jsrad/jsrad.html

aCe