Notices

So I froze my motor....need advice/ideas

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I froze my motor....need advice/ideas

Well I just purchased a house with a closed in garage and thought my car would be ok in there, I was wrong.

I was playing with some E85 and noticed my car was smoking quite a bit, I turned the car off and went and looked at the exhaust and saw raw coolent coming out the tail pipe (just barley put the coolent in), So right off the bat I thought it was the o-ring leaking, so I pulled the head and noticed a small rusty spot between the 3rd and 2nd cylinders, on closer inspection I noticed it was a small crack, very small. So right thre I realized I froze it up.

Now for an explaination I'm lost. I can have the crack welded up, hell JB weld would fix this one with how small it is. But I know a crack there wouldn't be the reason I'm getting coolent running threw my exhaust. So on the advice of a good friend and the local tuner around here I took the cylinder head in and had it dye checked and pressure tested, It came back perfect. Now I'm stuck not knowing what else I can test or what to look at. I might just be at the point of getting a new block, but I would love to avoid it (obviously). This motor has less then 20 miles on it since I built it, and it ran perfect for those 20 miles.

So just want to hear from other people what they would check before just replacing it.

A little motor info. It's a sleeved 84.5mm ls block with cp's and carillos, endyne b16 cylinder head with the usuals.

Thanks for any ideas you may have to offer
Old 02-29-2008, 02:12 PM

Default Re: So I froze my motor....need advice/ideas (utahbmx)

Also I should add, there was straight up coolent in my turbine housing, the coolent was clean and not milky, and the oil was nice and clean..
Old 02-29-2008, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

coolant is getting into your cylinders, time for a new block/sleeving
Old 02-29-2008, 06:47 PM

Default Re: (Garage 808 Hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Garage 808 Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">coolant is getting into your cylinders, time for a new block/sleeving</TD></TR></TABLE>

The crazy part is the coolant and oil are clean, when I pulled the head there was no coolent in the cylinders, but the turbine housing did.

I have a 42r and have the water lines ran to it, do you guys think it's possible that the turbo coolent lines froze and broke the seals?