Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

A little help for the kid who froze his motor....

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little help for the kid who froze his motor....

Well I just purchased a house with a closed in garage and thought my car would be ok in there, I was wrong.

I was playing with some E85 and noticed my car was smoking quite a bit, I turned the car off and went and looked at the exhaust and saw raw coolent coming out the tail pipe (just barley put the coolent in), So right off the bat I thought it was the o-ring leaking, so I pulled the head and noticed a small rusty spot between the 3rd and 2nd cylinders, on closer inspection I noticed it was a small crack, very small. So right thre I realized I froze it up.

Now for an explaination I'm lost. I can have the crack welded up, hell JB weld would fix this one with how small it is. But I know a crack there wouldn't be the reason I'm getting coolent running threw my exhaust. So on the advice of a good friend and the local tuner around here I took the cylinder head in and had it dye checked and pressure tested, It came back perfect. Now I'm stuck not knowing what else I can test or what to look at. I might just be at the point of getting a new block, but I would love to avoid it (obviously). This motor has less then 20 miles on it since I built it, and it ran perfect for those 20 miles.

So just want to hear from other people what they would check before just replacing it.

A little motor info. It's a sleeved 84.5mm ls block with cp's and carillos, endyne b16 cylinder head with the usuals.

Thanks for any ideas you may have to offer
Old 02-29-2008, 02:13 PM

Default Re: A little help for the kid who froze his motor.... (utahbmx)

Also I should add, there was straight up coolent in my turbine housing, the coolent was clean and not milky, and the oil was nice and clean..
Old 02-29-2008, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by utahbmx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well I just purchased a house with a closed in garage and thought my car would be ok in there, I was wrong.

I was playing with some E85 and noticed my car was smoking quite a bit, I turned the car off and went and looked at the exhaust and saw raw coolent coming out the tail pipe (just barley put the coolent in), So right off the bat I thought it was the o-ring leaking, so I pulled the head and noticed a small rusty spot between the 3rd and 2nd cylinders, on closer inspection I noticed it was a small crack, very small. So right thre I realized I froze it up.

Now for an explaination I'm lost. I can have the crack welded up, hell JB weld would fix this one with how small it is. But I know a crack there wouldn't be the reason I'm getting coolent running threw my exhaust. So on the advice of a good friend and the local tuner around here I took the cylinder head in and had it dye checked and pressure tested, It came back perfect. Now I'm stuck not knowing what else I can test or what to look at. I might just be at the point of getting a new block, but I would love to avoid it (obviously). This motor has less then 20 miles on it since I built it, and it ran perfect for those 20 miles.

So just want to hear from other people what they would check before just replacing it.

A little motor info. It's a sleeved 84.5mm ls block with cp's and carillos, endyne b16 cylinder head with the usuals.

Thanks for any ideas you may have to offer </TD></TR></TABLE>

who sleeved the block?
Old 02-29-2008, 06:45 PM

Default Re: A little help for the kid who froze his motor.... (h22crxpwr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by h22crxpwr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

who sleeved the block?</TD></TR></TABLE>

RS machine
Old 02-29-2008, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is the block o ringed ??
Old 03-01-2008, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

DOes your turbo have coolant lines hooked up to it

could have turbo failure if coolant lines are hooked up and leaking enough could go itno exhaust

or sleeve could have sunk

d
Old 03-01-2008, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My guess is sinking sleeve!!

That sux, sorry to hear about your new motor.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by utahbmx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also I should add, there was straight up coolent in my turbine housing, the coolent was clean and not milky, and the oil was nice and clean..</TD></TR></TABLE>

post some pics of it. the sleeve cracked.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:22 AM

Default Re: A little help for the kid who froze his motor.... (nasteboyii)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nasteboyii &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">DOes your turbo have coolant lines hooked up to it

could have turbo failure if coolant lines are hooked up and leaking enough could go itno exhaust

or sleeve could have sunk

d</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, I was also thinking this, but my knowledge really doesn't expand into the cooling system, I know the general flow of things but thought that the coolent lines that went threw the turbo were just a pass thru and really didn't stay in the passageway. If it is that I'm going to be a happy ****.