Notices

Smoking at weird times but very consistant. engine or turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoking at weird times but very consistant. engine or turbo?

I got an lsvtec with greddy turbo kit. block has 85k and I am not sure of the mileage on the head. I bought the turbo kit second hand. the kit has about 15k miles on it.

when I first put the turbo on the car the only smoke I got out of the thing was black from being rich. (stock greddy boost).

last month I put the boost up 1 bar. car pulled awesome and there was a little bit of smoke when on it. nothing to bad.

well within the last 3 days the smoke has gotten real bad. When I start the car there is very light colored bluish gray smoke that lasts a little bit but nothing that bothers me to bad.

The problem is when I am am rolling and I let off the gas to slow the vehicle down with the engine instead of the brakes, it smokes like crazy once I touch the gas again. It lasts for a few seconds of blipping the throttle then clears up for the most part.

If i rev the car at idle it doesnt really smoke at all. barely recognizable.

the fact that the car feels very strong mixed with the fact that the turbo has like 15k+ miles on it makes me think its the turbo but I am unsure.

thanks in advance guys.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Smoking at weird times but very consistant. engine or turbo? (MassScene)

dont all respond at once!
Old 03-25-2007, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Smoking at weird times but very consistant. engine or turbo? (MassScene)

Sounds like valve guides to me.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Smoking at weird times but very consistant. engine or turbo? (urbansi)

keep em coming need all the input I can get. before I spend money I dont need to.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:14 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MassScene &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">keep em coming need all the input I can get. before I spend money I dont need to.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Run a compression test and leak down test to make sure its not your engine, then go from there.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:35 PM

Im gonna say rings. the problem with running an ls-vtec, is that the rods are too long in most respects, and it moves the stress points on the rods. this creates alot more wear on the rings. Hence why the b16a revs to the heavens.. near perfect r/s ratio. now your prolly wondering what relavance does this have to the turbo setup. your applying more pressure than you originally had to the sidewall of your engine.. im betting that your cylinder walls are getting pre out of rounds, and now with the added boost, im thinking that your rings may have finally let go.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:18 PM

Default Re: Smoking at weird times but very consistant. engine or turbo? (josh807)

Mine used to smoke at weird times too, and it turned out to be a cranked ringland. But after I fixed that and did my LS/vtec conversion it still smoked, but less and at different times, like before it warmed up, I dont remember exactly. But I got the valve seals done at a machine shop and it was good as new. But you never know it could be the turbo too... check the shaft play
Old 03-26-2007, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Smoking at weird times but very consistant. engine or turbo? (TurboCoop)

turbo has about 1/4 inch shaft play up and down but about 1/2 inch in out.

so thats 2 people for valve seals huh? A compression test or leak down test wont show the valve seals.

I forgot to add that it gets worse if I beat on my car for a few minutes strait once everything is hot. but if i dont get on it really at all you really cant even tell.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If it's smoking after you decelerate in gear and then get back on the gas, then it's most likely your valve stem seals.

The vacuum your motor is creating sucks oil past the valve stem seals and into the combustion chambers, so when you hit the gas again you get smoke for a bit until it burns off.

1st do a compression test to rule out the rings, then replace your stem seals. That's my take on it.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Smoking at weird times but very consistant. engine or turbo? (EJ1 wilcox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 wilcox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If it's smoking after you decelerate in gear and then get back on the gas, then it's most likely your valve stem seals.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

In theory it sounds right, but from my experience repairing the same exact problem and symptoms...it rings. I have seen this happen so many times. Valve seals never fixed it. They usually show up bad when you see oil smoke when first starting in the morning.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:25 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MassScene &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">turbo has about 1/4 inch shaft play up and down but about 1/2 inch in out.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your turbo is bad, bearings are shot... remove the turbo and drive N/A and see if it still smokes. Also check your charge pipes for signs of oil. There's way too much play in the shaft.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Smoking at weird times but very consistant. engine or turbo? (turtle-eg)

There is oil in my intercooler pipes. I ordered a turbo rebuild kit yesterday and will rebuild it before this weekend. In the mean time I will do a compression test tomarrow. Damn, do you have to remove the head to do valve seals?