Notices

SMC faq

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2002, 01:24 AM
zip
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SMC faq

Here are some frequently asked questions about the SMC I often get emailed about:

Up to what boost pressures can the SMC handle?
Assuming the setup uses either 440-550cc injectors, the SMC can be adjusted to maintain proper fuel flow at boost pressures from 1-14psi.

Can I use stock injectors with the SMC and boost 10+ psi?
Of course not, since the SMC does away with the unpredictable nature of the FMU and other fueling hacks. The stock injectors already flow at 80%+ duty cycle. For pressures below 5psi, 370cc injectors are recommended. For anything above 5psi, you'll need to purchase injectors at least 440cc, or greater.

Can I use the stock fuel pump with the 440-550cc injectors and boost up to 14psi?
Yes, with properly sized injectors at factory fuel pressures you can use the SMC with a stock Honda fuel pump. An example, a 1999 Honda Civic SI fuel pump can support the following flywheel horsepower:

40psi = 375hp
45psi = 350hp
50psi = 345hp
55psi = 315hp
60psi = 290hp
65psi = 275hp

Note: GSR and Prelude fuel pumps will have higher horsepower potential than the 1999 SI fuel pump.

Do I need DSM injectors for the SMC?
The SMC is not particular on what kind of injectors you use, it's the ECU. The DSM, 450cc turbo eclipse injector, alternative has grown in popularity since you can purchase a set for about $50-60 at www.dsmtrader.com

Make sure to have the injectors cleaned and balanced prior to use.

The only caveat about using DSM injectors on OBDI & OBDII Honda ECUs is that they are low impendance injectors and will need power resistors (rating: 10ohms, 15 watts) wired in-line to each injector wire to raise the impedance.

If you prefer not use individual resistors you can use a resistor pack described here:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=216710

If you purchase the more expensive new RC440cc saturated, high impedence, injectors then you will not need resistors.

Where can I get OBDI clips?
You can purchase MSD OBDI clips from SummitRacing. Part # MSD-2400

Where can I get OBDI clips and an OBDI resistor pack as a package?
Visit this page for a great deal on an OBDI resistor pack and clip package for your DSM injectors:
http://www.muller.net/sonny/resistorbox/

What are the similarities and differences between the SMC and afc?
Both the SMC and afc are MAP sensor and rpm oriented. They basically function on the same input parameters.

The SMC has advanced features that the afc lacks:
1) Built-in electronic MAP limiter to keep CEL from activating.
2) Can control up to 550cc injectors
3) Built-in logic to keep the barometer sensor code from activating.
4) On-the-fly tuning.
5) One touch programming.
6) Stealth size, keeps it away from prying eyes.

other SMC attributes:
a} Real-time MAP correction for unparalleled drivability under idle, daily driving, and boost.
b) State of the art 20MHz RISC processor
c) Precise adjustment screws for accurate MAP correction
d) Reverse and surge voltage protected for long-term dependability
e) Adjusments are stored on an EEPROM for ultimate reliability
f) Easy five wire hook-up for Hondas/Acuras

How do I tune the SMC?
Whether you use a SMC, or a standalone, the best way of tuning is going to a dyno with a wideband lambda meter. Another alternative is street tuning. Street tuning involves using an AF meter and reading the injector plugs. The key is to make sure the AF mixture is rich during boost. Check the plugs periodically during initial tuning. Reading plugs is described here:
http://www.clubsi.com/spark_plug_tech.shtml
Another tool you can use in street tuning is using an EGT gauge. A more elaborate approach is to use wideband O2 sensor w/ display to monitor exact AF mixtures.

Can I use the SMC with the following:
Greddy blue box, JR Map mod, Apexi VAFC or SAFC, Field's AFC, J&S MAP limiter, missing link...etc

The succinct answer is NO, the SMC must be able to receive the actual signal from the MAP sensor and reprocessed for the ECU to understand.

What does the SMC do away with in terms of fueling hacks?
For turbos, it gets rids of the FMU and a missing link.
For JRSC's, it gets rid of any JR fuel hacks (i.e. IAT relay, JR MAP mod, TPS mod...etc)

The advantage of using the SMC is that you do not have to tamper with the factory set fuel presssures and still use the factory fuel pump! The SMC takes away these extra devices out of the tuning equation.

How does the SMC work with the stock ECU?
With large injectors in place the SMC essentialy aids in remapping your fuel tables, so that you can still use the stock ECU in boosted conditions.

Does the SMC work with a MAF based sensor?
The SMC only works with factory ECUs that use a MAP sensor.

Can I use the SMC as a missing link (aka electronic check valve) before I upgrade to larger injectors with my turbo or centrifugal supercharger setup?
Yes, the SMC can be use as an electronic check valve by setting all the settings to zero correction. When you ditch the FMU setup and upgrade to larger injectors you can use the SMC as a fuel controller. The SMC can be thought of as a two-in-one device and much more!

Can the SMC work on factory boosted cars that uses a MAP sensor?
Factory boosted vehicles, such as a WRX can also benefit from the SMC since it can prevent boost cut and help fuel tuning issues when installing larger injectors for increased boost.

Where can I order the SMC?
Currently, you can order the SMC from: www.diabloautosports.com

or directly from ECG Performance Electronics, email link below for payment details:
ECGPerformanceElectronics@hotmail.com

[Modified by zip, 9:03 PM 12/1/2002]
Old 10-18-2002, 02:01 AM
Better than steak

Default Re: SMC faq (zip)

Good stuff Zip.
Old 10-18-2002, 03:10 AM

Default Re: SMC faq (Arturbo)

Good stuff Zip.
Ditto!!
Old 10-18-2002, 04:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SMC faq (Midwestrider)

But it still **** up the ignition timing doesn't it. Must find hack to eliminate timing changes by the ECU.

-Dustin
Old 10-18-2002, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SMC faq (Autocratic_1st_Gen)

Ordered mine.. hopefully they won't be on backorder that much longer.
Old 10-18-2002, 08:20 AM

Default Re: SMC faq (minivan81)

Ordered mine too...haven't really heard anything official about them being on backorder although everyone else says they are. It would be kind of nice for the company I ordered it from to tell me.
Old 10-18-2002, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: SMC faq (Autocratic_1st_Gen)

But it still **** up the ignition timing doesn't it. Must find hack to eliminate timing changes by the ECU.

-Dustin
Why do you say that?

On OBD2 equipped cars, the IAT and ECT will advance/retard ignition timing as temps rise fall. On OBD1 cars, they do not effect ignition timing at all. Modifying the MAP voltage does nothing.

Sonny
Old 10-18-2002, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

"The advantage of using the SMC is that you do not have to tamper with the factory set fuel presssures and still use the factory fuel pump! The SMC takes away these extra devices out of the tuning equation. "

Might be a stupid question but can i still run my highflow fuel pump (255 walbro)?
Old 10-18-2002, 09:32 AM
New User

Default Re: SMC faq (B18Flip)

Sorry for the noob Question but can I use the SMC with a PR3 ecu?

Old 10-18-2002, 10:38 AM

Default Re: SMC faq (Vert)

Still is an awesome deal compared to the afc. which would you rather pay: $300 or $100?
Old 10-18-2002, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: SMC faq (MikePalm)

Hey! thats my car in that pic!
Old 10-18-2002, 11:04 AM

3) Built-in logic to keep the barometer sensor code from activating.
Umm, i'm running the afc hack and i never get any barometer sensor code?
I do, but I don't think I'm gonna switch to a SMC just because of that.... I would really like to know what this "built in logic is"...... the cel is annoying, but if you don't wanna share ideas I understand, it would give you an edge to enticing users to buy your product. If you do decide to be nice natured you can pm/email me.
Old 10-18-2002, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SMC faq (Sonny)

-Dustin

Why do you say that?

On OBD2 equipped cars, the IAT and ECT will advance/retard ignition timing as temps rise fall. On OBD1 cars, they do not effect ignition timing at all. Modifying the MAP voltage does nothing.

Sonny
He means that the ignition timing will not be retarded with boost, so either you will lose alot of power out of boost, or you will be prone to detonation. I'm running my own fuel management (similar in function to SMC, though not as adjustable) and I'm installing a 6btm, so it's all good.
Old 10-18-2002, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SMC faq (ion_four)

He means that the ignition timing will not be retarded with boost, so either you will lose alot of power out of boost, or you will be prone to detonation. I'm running my own fuel management (similar in function to SMC, though not as adjustable) and I'm installing a 6btm, so it's all good.
Aha. Thanks for the clarification.

Sonny
Old 10-18-2002, 11:42 AM
zip
Honda-Tech Member

Vert: It's nice to know I have a fan. You seem to read into each post like my other fan SLprTeg. Hmmm...
Old 10-18-2002, 12:15 PM
zip
Honda-Tech Member

i am slprteg, i had multiple accounts cuz they were trial accounts. Most of them got banned and this is the only account i have that is normal member status noit trying to hide anything here
So why are you lying and stating that you have a afc when last week you were running a cheap fuel hack circuit?

Old 10-18-2002, 12:44 PM

Bling Bling? are you serious? The only reason i might go with an afc over the smc is because there is more adjustability. I really dont care about all the little bells and whisltes.
Old 10-18-2002, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SMC faq (yellowsub)

Why do you say that?

Sonny
What about OBD0 cars? I coulda swore I saw a dyno chart with an ignition map layered over it and the timing was all over the place.

-Dustin
Old 10-18-2002, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

THat circuit is an afc tard
If you're gonna 'constructively criticize', then do so. Quit being a dick.

Sonny
Old 10-18-2002, 01:29 PM

I have both the little circuit from filetofit (chris hart) that costs $20 shipped and the SMC....I'll say that the SMC is definitely worth the extra money. The SMC comes with excellent directions and looks very professional. The circuit from filetofit would be great if you know what you're doing, but it just comes in a little pouch with no directions and only has a couple inches of wires. For me, I would be completely lost trying to install it or use it, that is why i'm going to use the SMC. WELL WORTH THE MONEY.
Old 10-18-2002, 01:36 PM

the smc is a very cheap alternative to the vafc/safc. Although the vafc and safc do look nice at night...most of the people i know that have them put them in the glove compartment because it gets quite distracting at night when driving. SMC is a solid product for the money you pay...heck if you are gonna spend 300ish for the safc/vafc you might as well get the hondata for a few bills more.
Old 10-18-2002, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so is there hesitation during normal driving with this thing?
Old 10-18-2002, 04:31 PM
New User

Default Re: SMC faq (redline201)

IMO, both the AFC hack and SMC are good alternatives to gettin a standalone unit. each has its own advantages... but one costs $150-$200 more than the other. theres no reason to hate on either...
Old 10-18-2002, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SMC faq (dlplayboy)

I thought the Q in the title was a G at first
nice faq
Old 10-18-2002, 07:03 PM
New User

I thought the Q in the title was a G at first
nice faq