Notices

Small Turbo On Auto Teg

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small Turbo On Auto Teg

i have an auto rs teg. i can either try to save up enough money and get a manual transmition or do a small turbo setup on the auto. im leaning more toward the turbo b/c if i do tranny conversion, my car will still be slow and i will not have no money left for any other mods. what trubo would u suggest for me? i will only be looking for mid 14's in the 1/4. i also want to do this setup for as little money as possible. i was thinking about a stock eclipse/talon turbo. let me know what u guys think....

thanks
Old 06-19-2003, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Small Turbo On Auto Teg (PLRacer)

Go for it man......but trust me you will want to swap the tranny later on along the road.
Old 06-19-2003, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Small Turbo On Auto Teg (AztecEJ)

Im in the same boat as you.... im using a 14b from an eclipse, im only about halfway done with piecing together the kit.
Old 06-19-2003, 01:36 PM

yeah i do plan on eventually going to a 5 speed and a bigger setup
Old 06-19-2003, 01:38 PM

BuddyLee-what pasrt are u using besides the turbo?when do u plan on finishing the setup?give me ur aim screen name, we can talk about this stuff sometime

thanks
Old 06-19-2003, 03:41 PM

Default Re: (PLRacer)

Well, this is my plan(not set in stone), as you can see, im going as cheap as possible.

14b turbo(w/ internal wastegate)
custom made log manifold, charge pipes, and dp
vortech 12:1 FMU
Walbro Fuel Pump
DSM Side-Mount Intercooler and BOV
A few gauges (boost, a/f)
oil return kit
missing link or check valves

All that is costing me well under 1000 bones. I should be done by the end of the summer at the latest. Im selling a bunch of misc. crap to get some more money, as soon as thats gone, im going on a shopping spree The fuel management is only temporary until i can afford something better, and a bigger exhaust will be coming in the near future as well. You can contact me on AIM at Senorpapacabasa.
Old 06-19-2003, 03:54 PM
mos
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BuddyLee)

You might want to look in to getting a transmission cooler if you turbo your auto. Somebody suggested this before, and it seems like a cheap way to add some protection.

I would sell the car and buy a stick tho. You will save yourself a lot of unnecessary work. Unless swapping transmissions is like, fun to you or something.
Old 06-19-2003, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mos)

I donno man, just make sure you research this ALOT more.

After the months and months (closer to a year or so) of researching awhile back, i've only heard HORROR stories of going FI with an auto tranny FOR A HONDA/ACURA. Some have had some success, but for how long is questionable...As you and i know, auto tranny work/parts aren't cheap either!

I'm in the same boat as you, but will be doing a tranny swap quite soon. I'll actually be getting all the parts i need for under $400! I'll easily be able to do the swap with some friends, so i'm getting by pretty cheap.

Just make sure if you do turbo your auto, you take it easy. They were by no means mean to take all the abuse like what mustang or camaro's auto trannies are able to handle.
I'd suggest going with a tranny cooler, and in the future a high stall torque converter if you plan on doing any drag racing.

People will also tell you to take it to level ten to get tranny work done, but i have yet to see a satisfied person go through that place. I wish i could find the post of this one guy who had to spend thousands of dollars on automatic tranny work at level ten, because their stuff failed 2 different times in a row.

Not sure if this is true, but i heard the weak point of the honda/acura auto trans is the valve bodies. Also there is no upgrade for the valve bodies that i know of right now. I havent been looking into this for the past few months though, so some place may have come up with something by now.

Research research research before you get yourself head over heels!
Goodluck!
Old 06-19-2003, 05:27 PM

Default Re: (ill_take_one)

^ good advice man..... but if you must...you could use an ihi25 off a probe.... tonz of those floating around.....mad cheep
Old 06-19-2003, 05:44 PM

well i think the tranny should at least last for a couple months or so. by that time maybe ill find a job and ill be able to afford the conversion. buying a 5 speed car and selling my auto or finding all the parts to do a tranny conversion is not as easy as u think when u live in michigan.
Old 06-19-2003, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yay! im 1/3 through my FI project to, i have a decent start, a airesearch .42/.48 turbo , custom log style manifold. Im buying a intercooler from http://www.homemadeturbo.com for $250 shipped, then probably just the piping and electronics, i have a BOV, but i might want a better one. ill post pics once its up, im hoping around the middle/end of july
Old 06-20-2003, 06:46 AM

anyone else have some input?