Notices

Sinking sleeves, need help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sinking sleeves, need help.

How far would a sleeve have to move to be considered "sinking"? Saturday on the dyno, made three pulls to try to straighten out the a/f. Car was idleing before the 4th pull, then when we went to put it into gear for pull four, a little puff of white smoke. SHut it down and pulled the plugs, #3 smelled and the cylinder was wet with coolant. Milk on the oil cap, etc. Pulled the head and sleeve #3 has barely moved. Cant really tell by looking but you can feel it with your fingernail. Is this enough to worry about? We noticed high pressure in the coolant system from the start(running from the catch tank). We did not even get above 7psi. Could it have just been the headgasket?

My question: Pull the motor and get it fixed or maybe the problem was just the headgasket? Put a new headgasket and run it? If I pull the motor I miss the opener at Dinwiddie.
What is an acceptable range for it to move(if it did)?
Old 04-14-2004, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Sinking sleeves, need help. (30psiCiv)

If it is .001" below the deck, it will not hold boost. Nothing to seal against the head gasket.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sinking sleeves, need help. (earl)

Man this really sucks. There is no way to get it repaired before next weekend. Anyone got a good sleeved block for sale?
Old 04-14-2004, 07:02 PM

lemme guess.....GE?
Old 04-14-2004, 07:05 PM

Default Re: Sinking sleeves, need help. (MordecaiPSI)

Damn man that sux, hope everything works out for ya
Old 04-14-2004, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sinking sleeves, need help. (MordecaiPSI)

I know the feeling... We recently had to pull my motor out. My sleeves sank .010... yes it was GE. I haven't had any problems since the block was decked. ---- knocking on wood.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:41 PM
E-thug

Check your studs to make sure none are stripped, My head lifted @15 psi b/c one of my studs was stripped. This sux.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sinking sleeves, need help. (boostismycrack)

Pull It, Mill it the minium....reassemble, put back in car.

**** the bullshit, make the race.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:00 PM
OG triple OG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Sinking sleeves, need help. (Suprdave)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Suprdave &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Pull It, Mill it the minium....reassemble, put back in car.

**** the bullshit, make the race.</TD></TR></TABLE>

up , measure the exact distance the sleeve sunk , mill the head that amount , slap it back together
Old 04-14-2004, 10:10 PM

damn man, same **** happened to me... twice! next stop is Earl's shop for some bensons I want to get it done right this time...

Ps: my sunk sleeves were JG engine...
Old 04-14-2004, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sinking sleeves, need help. (Hella_JDM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hella_JDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

up , measure the exact distance the sleeve sunk , mill the head that amount , slap it back together</TD></TR></TABLE> huh?
Old 04-14-2004, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hella_JDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

up , measure the exact distance the sleeve sunk , mill the head that amount , slap it back together</TD></TR></TABLE>

Deck the Block you mean...
Old 04-14-2004, 10:26 PM
OG triple OG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Sinking sleeves, need help. (Suprdave)

holy **** , sorry ive been up for along time . deck the block i meant
Old 04-15-2004, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Deck the block to even out the sleeves? Will it hold 30psi plus nitrous? Guys I have been busting my *** to get these cars ready for Dinwiddie and for this to happen is really disheartening. I really want to make the race but I dont want to grenade the motor. Do you guys think that decking the block will work?
Old 04-15-2004, 07:29 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 30psiCiv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Deck the block to even out the sleeves? Will it hold 30psi plus nitrous? Guys I have been busting my *** to get these cars ready for Dinwiddie and for this to happen is really disheartening. I really want to make the race but I dont want to grenade the motor. Do you guys think that decking the block will work?</TD></TR></TABLE>

what kind of sleeves are they? i would call whoever put the sleeves in and tell them the situation...if you did get the deck milled without talking to the company it might give them a reason to void a warranty if the block has one
Old 04-15-2004, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 30psiCiv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Deck the block to even out the sleeves? Do you guys think that decking the block will work?</TD></TR></TABLE>You really have no other choice but to do this if you want to make the race. The only thing that causes sleeves to drop is poor installation. There are a couple of problems in milling the block. If you had a stepped deck, it will no longer be stepped. If you had o-rings, you cannot use them anymore. Last, but not least, the sleeves may not be done dropping yet and it could happen again. Having said all that, I would mill it and try to do whatever I could to make the race. That's what real racers do
Old 04-15-2004, 07:54 AM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If sleeves drop do they usually continue to shift downwards over time or is it usually just a one time shift?
Old 04-15-2004, 07:54 AM

What kind of sleeves did you have. Damn I hope mine dont sink. I got GE but they have 2 kind. How many miles did the car have?

This is my block and the newer version.

http://www.imagestation.com/my...block

The old version has less of those reinforcement bars in the water jacket and I would think the newer ones wouldn't sink because at the bottom of sleeve by crank journals there is a little corner that each sleeve sits on, but never know.

Which ones did you have alex?
Old 04-15-2004, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what can you do to insure this doesnt happen again. I dont want to get into what kind of sleeves and who installed to avoid a pissing match. The shop that installed them said they would take care of it. Now to just get the block out and get it to them, get it back, reinstall the motor, and finish the dyno tuning before next thursday. Sounds easy enough.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:01 AM

Default Re: Sinking sleeves, need help. (Muckman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Muckman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If sleeves drop do they usually continue to shift downwards over time or is it usually just a one time shift? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I had my sleeves move, sent the block to get resurfaced... they moved again. now I'm calling that block junk and starting over with a new one...

Old 04-15-2004, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 30psiCiv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what can you do to insure this doesnt happen again. I dont want to get into what kind of sleeves and who installed to avoid a pissing match.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> The shop that installed them said they would take care of it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 04-15-2004, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sinking sleeves, need help. (J. Davis)

Most sleeves drop because of poor installation. They have the potential to move, rock or drop many times.
Old 04-15-2004, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What actually causes them to move at all?
Old 04-15-2004, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont mean to thread jack but ive been having a problem getting the head gasket to seal on my darton block....the motor runs great but the oil keeps mixing with the water...ive used three different head gaskets with no luck other than a sce gasket kinda worked for a minute,i've even used a different head...the motor is brand new and i have yet to boost on it even now the frustration is making me want to sell the whole project...should i pull the motor and have it decked a little bit or what????
Old 04-16-2004, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sinking sleeves, need help. (reactiondc2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by reactiondc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont mean to thread jack but ive been having a problem getting the head gasket to seal on my darton block....the motor runs great but the oil keeps mixing with the water...ive used three different head gaskets with no luck other than a sce gasket kinda worked for a minute,i've even used a different head...the motor is brand new and i have yet to boost on it even now the frustration is making me want to sell the whole project...should i pull the motor and have it decked a little bit or what????</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have found that pulling it and having it decked is the only solution.