Notices

silly thought about A/C

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default silly thought about A/C

I know this may sound stupid (or maybe not) and many of you who are in a crazy quest for more power have thought about this too.

Is it possible to route the cold air out of the A/C vents to the tubo intake charge (maybe somewhere right after the IC)...has this been done and would there be any significant gains?

sorry for the stupid question...just obscurely curious
Old 07-24-2003, 12:06 AM

Default Re: silly thought about A/C (MiraiZ)

it would be best to go one step further if you even went this route, use the A/c system and a water to air intercooler, but instead circulate the freon through the Water to air IC.. i'm not sure how effective it would be, because a normals car A/c is only designed for passenger air...
Old 07-24-2003, 12:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the amount of air coming out of an A/C wouldn't be near enough to satisfy any gains.

Sounds good in theory, but what I was thinkin is the air coming out of the turbo...the compressed air will flow into the slow moving stream of the A/C causing loss in power.
Old 07-24-2003, 01:32 AM

Default Re: silly thought about A/C (Foozball26)

coleman electric cooler
water to air intercooler
bag of ice

... sounds like a good idea to me... too bad i didnt come up with it... i read somewhere here on h-t... but i have yet to see one running...
Old 07-24-2003, 01:50 AM

Default Re: silly thought about A/C (1.8T_EG)

ooh TEC cooler tech :-)

those of you who has ever been serious about PC overclocking know exactly what im talking about... i really need to do another water TEC computer... spending all my money on cars.. hahah
Old 07-24-2003, 02:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how would that work...you would have to gut that thing and somehow make a cold blower out of it??
Old 07-24-2003, 02:27 AM

Also don't forget some of the power will be sap by the AC operating in the 1st place so the gains that we all hope for will have to be pretty significant to counter off this effect.
Old 07-24-2003, 02:32 AM

but will this add too much load to the a/c coz the compressor is always "on"? not to mention robbing some power coz of the parasitic drag of the compressor..
Old 07-24-2003, 05:06 PM

... not sure... like i said its not my idea... but from what i understand... the cooler is just the reservoir... so load it with ice and water... then you will need a water pump to circulate the cold water from the cooler to the water-air intercooler... voila, cold water-air intercooler... in theory at least...
Old 07-24-2003, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ford is actually supposed to begin using something like this out in their lightning for 2005... the a/c discharges into the cooler and supposed to jump the power a bit for as long as 30-45 seconds.

I will try to find more detailed info.
Old 07-24-2003, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://bradbarnett.net/mustang...tning/

here is a link to some more info.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: silly thought about A/C (twkdCD595)

for the lazy crowd...

"The concept 2004 F-150 SVT Lightning is powered by a 500-hp supercharged 5.4L V-8. The engine also displays a new Ford innovation: the SuperCooler system. Traditional intercoolers dissipate heat from the supercharged air by circulating coolant through a front-mounted, air-cooled radiator. With the SuperCooler system, the vehicle’s air conditioning system is used to chill a small storage tank of coolant to about 30 degrees Fahrenheit.

On demand, the SuperCooler system switches the intercooler flow from its normal circulation and dumps the chilled coolant into the engine’s intercooler. In turn, the intercooler dissipates up to 20 percent more heat from the charge air – resulting in a denser air charge.

A green light on the instrument panel indicates the system’s readiness. SuperCooler is activated automatically when the driver depresses the accelerator to a wide-open-throttle position.

“This technology plays directly into the hands of the enthusiast,” says John Coletti, Director of SVT Programs. “The SuperCooler provides the edge for the driver, and it is done simply by taking advantage of the hardware that already exists in the vehicle.”

As a result of this cool technology, the SVT Lighting concept can give its driver as much as 50 transient horsepower for short bursts of 30-45 seconds and regenerate within 2 minutes under normal driving conditions. While its effect is similar to that of an aftermarket nitrous oxide system, the SuperCooler is completely self-contained, environmentally friendly and regenerative."

I am not sure though if the system has to have the a/c running constant but I doubt it as most companies are starting to use a setup that disengages the a/c under hard load.

(sorry for not condensing this but I dont have time).