Notices

Should I turbo my motor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I turbo my motor?

I've got a 93 ej1 , stockish d16z6, 234,000 miles on it. Here's a list of mods.
-fuel filter
-rebuilt dizzy(new cap,rotor,ignition coil,ignitor.)
-new injectors
-header
-intake pipe and filter

Now I wanna turbo it but I've heard that if you turbo a vtec motor it will suck your oil pan dry because of all the oil being used for vtec and the turbo. But I've seen plenty of people do it and figure it'd be fine. I just need some opinions on if. And I'm not swapping it I love the z6 #savethesohc -ej1.nick
Old 06-21-2015, 01:18 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Should I turbo my motor?

https://honda-tech.com/forced-induct...2A%2A-1024174/
Old 06-21-2015, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Listing fuel filter, distributor and stock injectors as mods...??

And a header and intake that will have to be removed for a turbo anyways

Soooo. stock z6, yes turbo it anyways
Old 06-21-2015, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by KevinEF7
Listing fuel filter, distributor and stock injectors as mods...??

And a header and intake that will have to be removed for a turbo anyways

Soooo. stock z6, yes turbo it anyways
Okay yeah your right. Well forget about the first part. And tell me more about why people told me that the oil pan will suck dry
Old 06-21-2015, 03:10 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Because people, in general, are stupid. If you use a shitty turbo, or you use a used turbo with leaking seals, you'll burn oil. If your crank case isn't properly ventilated, you'll burn oil. If you have any slow leaks or burns, they will be exacerbated. You're taking an engine and essentially doubling what it was built to do. Any small "non-issues" will have a tendency to become actual issues.

At the very least, do a leakdown test and make sure your engine is actually healthy enough for boost with a modicum of reliability.
Old 06-21-2015, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Aradin
You will make SOOOOOOOO much power on a stock turbo Z6 that gravity will reverse itself in your presence. All of the fluids in your car are badly affected by this and that will cause the oil to get stuck in the top of the head from this phenomenon. The fuel in your gas tank will also be bothered by this so if you don't run on a full tank 24/7 your car will run on boost pressure alone which may cause it to run hotter than normal but you will get great gas mileage. The coolant stops moving as well so you may need to look into some radiator mods. Don't bother with a high flow or multiple core setup, you need a couple of full blown electric water pumps to combat this. Good luck. You can run the stock Z6 on up to 60psi of boost with that intake pipe.
Your an *******. Just cause you know more you wanna "troll" on the new guy. Gonna be leaving this site cuz honda guys are dicks
Old 06-21-2015, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hope you don't want more then 220 safely... its not that Honda guys are dicks, just tons of people ask the same questions over and over... just google or read the faq's
Old 06-21-2015, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
Because people, in general, are stupid. If you use a shitty turbo, or you use a used turbo with leaking seals, you'll burn oil. If your crank case isn't properly ventilated, you'll burn oil. If you have any slow leaks or burns, they will be exacerbated. You're taking an engine and essentially doubling what it was built to do. Any small "non-issues" will have a tendency to become actual issues.

At the very least, do a leakdown test and make sure your engine is actually healthy enough for boost with a modicum of reliability.
Thank you, some advice I could really benefit from!
Old 06-21-2015, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hidenplanvew
hope you don't want more then 220 safely...
I don't really care about having a **** ton of hp . I wanna do it for fun and make it a learning experience instead of a competition . and the sound of a blow off valve makes me smile like a little school girl haha
Old 06-22-2015, 07:28 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the engine is healthy (check via compression/ leakdown tests as suggested above), then there's no reason why you can't boost it. Be sure to do your research and understand why you're choosing the parts you've picked - since the setup will no longer be to OEM spec, it requires much more from you for maintenance / repairs. Unless you're comfortable with that, i'd suggest not turbocharging it. Also, you need a reasonable budget to make this happen effectively / reliably. If you have $1k saved up and think that's sufficient, stop now...for a decent setup, i'd plan at least $3k including tuning.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:52 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 219 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by ej1.nick
Your an *******. Just cause you know more you wanna "troll" on the new guy. Gonna be leaving this site cuz honda guys are dicks
If you think that's bad, try owning a different car, like a VW or Subaru. I'm sure those guys are a lot cooler.