Notices

Should Eagle rods be installed in a certain direction?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2002, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should Eagle rods be installed in a certain direction?

i know there's a certain direction that factory rods need to face when installing them, but I have a set of Eagle rods and JE pistons i'll be installing soon and i'm wondering if there's a certain direction the rods need to be facing?
Old 10-21-2002, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Should Eagle rods be installed in a certain direction? (TheSwift1)

for the pistons, the intake relief valve ( the bigger one) is on the intake side...

both rod oil holes must face the exhaust side of the block...

stan
Old 10-21-2002, 10:44 PM

Default Re: Should Eagle rods be installed in a certain direction? (Flamenco-NA)

for the pistons, the intake relief valve ( the bigger one) is on the intake side...

stan
i knew about the pistons, but the Eagle rods have 1 hole on each side of the little end of the rod...so does it matter which way they are facing?hmmm...
Old 10-21-2002, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ummm...

Old 10-21-2002, 11:11 PM
New User

The rods must be installed with the bearing tangs on the exhaust side of the engine.
Old 10-21-2002, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Should Eagle rods be installed in a certain direction? (B20C5 Turbo)

I've seen Eagles with tangs on BOTH sides. Never did figure out which side went which way. I think they were for the ls motor. Wierd
Old 10-22-2002, 04:35 AM

Default Re: Should Eagle rods be installed in a certain direction? (B20C5 Turbo)

The rods must be installed with the bearing tangs on the exhaust side of the engine.
thanx..
Old 10-22-2002, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Should Eagle rods be installed in a certain direction? (LsTurbo91)

sorry, I meant the tang...I was lost for word, but we all know what I mean...the notch at the end of the rod...

Old 10-22-2002, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Should Eagle rods be installed in a certain direction? (Flamenco-NA)

the notches go together. then the side with the notches goes on the exhaust side.this is the correct way
Old 10-25-2002, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Should Eagle rods be installed in a certain direction? (speedworks)

Holy ****, I don't think all my rods are facing the same I direction. Somebody please tell me this isn't truely needed? My engine is fully assembled and ready to be put in the car.......What will this screw up if left alone?

Ugh, night before the install and I come across this sheit....
Old 10-25-2002, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Should Eagle rods be installed in a certain direction? (Speed PHreak)

Spun bearing is my guess....
Old 10-25-2002, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Should Eagle rods be installed in a certain direction? (Tinker219)

yes, the two tang goes in one side and they both faces the exhaust sides....

if you look at the side of the rod, there's a 3 digits ( or 2 digits ) can;t remember, but anyway, half of the number is on the rod and the other half on the rod cap...
that should tell you that they both go on one side.,...and if you do, both bearing tangs should be one one side and face the exhaust side...

stan
Old 10-25-2002, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Should Eagle rods be installed in a certain direction? (Flamenco-T)

I didn't notice any numbers on the side of my Eagle rods.....am I retarded? Oh crap now i'm scared. Ugh I really dont' want to have to tear the whole engine apart. ****!

[Modified by Speed PHreak, 10:01 PM 10/25/2002]
Old 10-25-2002, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Should Eagle rods be installed in a certain direction? (Speed PHreak)

look at the pic of my rod and piston...the blue square that I made...

top half of the numbers are on the rod and the bottom half of it are on the rod cap...

they're 3 digits and had lettering on top of it..but the numbers is the only way to tell which side goes where.

HTH

[Modified by Flamenco-T, 9:11 PM 10/25/2002]
Old 10-25-2002, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, got that. I totally get the fact that both alighnment tang need to be on the same side. I think I can pull the pan and check the number without too much trouble. The main question i'm having is do the tangs need to be on the exhaust side?

I'm running a rod/piston combo similar to you Flamenco. Eagle/Wiseco. So you know what kinda pain it would be to remove the rods from the pistons with then in the engine. If thats even possible....ugh
Old 10-25-2002, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, it is a pain I know...you can prolly tell by pulling the oil pan if the numbers is on one sidee...

yes, bearing tangs has to be on exhaust side.....now, you need to find out from anyone who has a spare eagle rods, if the nuumbers are on both side or not...if not, find out if the bearing tangs is on the number side or not....

that way you can be sure, ,100%
Old 10-25-2002, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes,the tangs go facing the exhaust side,but dont get confused with the number,just keep the cap in the rod that came together in the box,dont start swaping rod caps because the rod cap match the number on another rod,remember when they machine the big bore end on the rod its done with the cap on already
good luck
Old 10-25-2002, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Should Eagle rods be installed in a certain direction? (civicguy)

I've just flipped my engine on it's side to take the pan and lower-end apart. I found that 2 of my rods were facing the intake side, and 2 were facing the exhaust side. Also 2 of my rod caps were on backwards, so I got that straighten out.

Ok now, could some one give me a valid technical reason why the tangs have to face the exhaust side? The engine is completely assembled, torqued and ready to be dropped back in the car after 2 months. The only way to swap the direction of the rods would be to pull the top-end and crank out again......ugh.

[Modified by Speed PHreak, 12:00 AM 10/26/2002]
Old 10-25-2002, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Come on peoeple, does it matter or not? I need to know weather this is just something the **** retentive techs at honda do just beause iit's nice to have everything look the same. Or if there is acutally a valid reason behind the alighnment tangs having to face the exhaust side of the engine? Are the rods off center? Are there some oiling issues at stake? Am I gonna **** off the Honda engine grimlins if I don't have all my rods facing the same direction?

I dont' see why it would matter as long as both the rod and cap tnags are facing the same side. These are Eagle aftermarket rods with ACL bearings.
Old 10-25-2002, 10:27 PM

see, this is the exact reason i made this post! it's the little things that always get ya...

Old 10-25-2002, 11:45 PM
New User

The logical response would be that the intake side of the rods big end recieves all of the side loading on the power stroke. By placing the tangs on that side, you have reduced the bearing surface to nearly half of normal where it needs it most. This leads to premature wear and failure. That probably won't **** off the Honda gremlins, but it won't make them smile favorably in your direction.
Old 10-26-2002, 03:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the factors are side loading,heat in that side of the engine and you want to keep a good balance on those rods,and check those acl bearings when you get the rod caps out,they didn't good on my engine and had to replace them for oem
Old 10-26-2002, 03:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh,by the way theres numbers in the side facing the exhaust and letters facing intake
mine were: ky-intake side
289-exhaust side
just get those rod caps out and make sure and then retorque
Old 10-26-2002, 05:29 AM

What do you mean about letters/#s on the intake/exhaust side. Mine just has S2 01 2291 2291 on the top of the rod?
Old 10-26-2002, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

who assembled your motor? that sounds pretty freaky. id take it back to them and make them reassemble it the right way.

Quick Reply: Should Eagle rods be installed in a certain direction?