Notices

Setup advice, B20V

Old 08-21-2015, 09:02 PM
43!
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Setup advice, B20V

Hi, looking for setup advice to add a turbo setup on my existing all motor b20v build that made 249whp. I'd like to make at 200 tq as early as possible and carry it through to redline. No more than 10-14 psi.

Which manifold and turbo combination offers quick spool without running out of steam out to 8200-8400?

Down low torque is more important to me than a peak hp number but not looking for anymore than 350-375.

Fuel choice is e85. More of a street car than anything else. Have aspirations to make it back to hpde. Tia.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:28 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Setup advice, B20V

<p>https://honda-tech.com/forced-induct...2A%2A-1024174/</p><p>It exists for a reason. &nbsp;You've been around long enough to know better. &nbsp;No excuses. &nbsp;It's obvious you've completely ignored the FAQ sticky, and went straight for the &quot;new thread&quot; button, completely disregarding the help that has already been given, and insulting all of the people who put their time and effort into the stickies. &nbsp;Unfuck yourself.</p>
Old 08-22-2015, 01:46 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A gt2860r would certainly fit the bill. On your engine it would respond almost instantly and produce the kind of torque you're looking for while still getting you to the 300hp mark or slightly more. LightningTeg ran one on a his stock LS and made 300/300 @ 20psi with a huge flat torque curve. He said it was a blast to drive.

The GTX2860 would be even better if you wanted more power down the road while the higher pressure ratio capability would increase torque output over the cast wheel gt2860r. It should respond just as fast if not faster due to the more advanced, aggressive compressor wheel aerodynamics. They aren't the cheapest option though.

As far as a turbo manifold something like a cast Greddy is all you need. They are AC compatible and indestructible due to being cast. Plus with turbo placement you can still run a full sized radiator. Google Boersma Racing. Until a few months ago his time attack civic was running a b series VTEC engine with an HKS cast T25 flanged turbo manifold, GTX3071R, and an external wastegate turbine housing with a TiAL 44mm MVR. He made well over 400hp with that manifold and was winning Time Attack events left and right with it until he moved to a divided tubular manifold and twin scroll turbine housing using the same turbo.

Granted the cast manifolds are hard to find. If you look on eBay a company used to sell copies of the Greddy turbo manifolds. If you dig around you might be able to find the Edelbrock cast B series turbo manifold. It's also T25 flanged for an internal wastegate and flows slightly better than the Greddy. For your goals you could stay internal wastegate as well and have no problems with boost control while saving some money and simplifying the setup. You just need to run a full 3" downpipe off the turbo, enlarge the internal wastegate port slightly, and run a dual port Turbosmart internal wastegate actuator with a decent boost controller and you'll have rock solid boost control.

I have a Greddy B series turbo manifold at the moment that I'm in the middle of porting, granted I am a little reluctant to let it go since it was so hard to find.
Old 08-22-2015, 01:52 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Another important thing is that boost pressure is irrelevant, only power levels are what's important. Boost pressure becomes even more irrelevant when you're running E85.

It's going to take at least 18-20psi to make the kind of torque you want. Higher boost pressures equals more cylinder pressure which means more torque. There's no way around it. Running a larger turbo at lower pressure means even less torque and slower response.

Again I don't understand why most Honda guys are afraid of running moderate boost levels on a properly size turbo. They'd all much rather run a larger turbo at a lower pressure level and bitch about why the setup has so much lag and doesn't make enough torque. Don't be afraid of pressure... If the motor was properly built and is in good health then as long as your tuner doesn't mess up it will take all of the pressure you can throw at it.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:56 AM
43!
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
yes to ignore. Look how fast I got a great response from wantboost. If you want to part with it, pm me. Thanks bud.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:15 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

YES!! Part with it!!!!!