Notices

setting the timing on ls vtec turbo hondata

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default setting the timing on ls vtec turbo hondata

hey guys.. ran my holset powered, 9:1 cp piston, ls vtec ek hatch at the track last night.. 11 psi, ran 13.9 at 106mph on shitty dunlop direzza dz101.. im running 11 psi, 11.5 afr and ive added 4 degrees timing to the itr basemap in hondata and im pulling 1.5 degrees per lb.. total timing at full boost was like 12-14 degrees.. i dont have det cans yet so im bein safe, but just wondering how much more timing can i add? im assuming that a 10.5:1 ITR would have alot less timing than my low comp ls vtec should..

whats a good final timing number? like around 20? 25? i seem to remember my tunerview showing over 30* on my 7.5:1 vitara car..

help me out? im going to set up a det can tonight i guesss.. it spins second nice, but i feel it should be much faster with a huge turbo like that lol
Old 08-18-2012, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: setting the timing on ls vtec turbo hondata

You're suppose to stick the car on a dyno and ask it how much timing it wants. Not tell it!
Old 08-18-2012, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

50 posts... 7 years... Why? Because hondatech doesn't have tech.. Only people who can tell me obvious things.. Im looking to rip my car for another 2 months then put it away.. Ill have it dyno tuned in the spring... Can some one give some insight on this very popular engine combo? I am aware on the procedure for tuning the timing, just looking for some approx numbers..
Old 08-18-2012, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats about as "technical" as it gets. You can't just come onto a internet forum and ask how much timing YOUR car likes. What you going to say when it goes BANG ??? "Dooooh, that kid on the internet was wrong!!!" Every engine/setup is different, and needs to be always treated that way.

So then, if what I'm saying is so "obvious" then why are you here asking this question ? Surely you understand what I'm saying and the importance of it ???

Good luck anyway, I hope the poor engine doesn't blow up....
Old 08-18-2012, 12:57 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

There are members on here that would make your mind explode if they even gave you an 1/8th of their knowledge.

With that being said, to tune a street car you OBVIOUSLY need to read the plugs first and foremost. It helps to go to the track and make runs and watch the MPH. A "det can" is always a major additional plus. A "popular engine setup" or not means absolutely nothing. The head or block could be milled an untold amount. The head gasket way thick or thin. The cams degreed wrong or used in a stock setting. Spark plugs, type of fuel/octane, oil build-up/contamination, ect are a small list of things that will change things in the end. Why play around? Use a det-can, read plugs, wideband, EGT, and MPH for best results or save your pennies for the dyno time big man.

With that attitude you are lucky you got helped at all. Even a complete "newb" knows timing is exactly like playing with fire. It's pretty easy to get burned...
Old 08-18-2012, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So 12-14* doesn't sound low? Thats all im asking.. Im just curious as to why it only ran 106mph.. No one can say that it prob needs a bit more? Why does everyone have to be so hardcore lol ... I know you guys cant tell me a number to run, but give me ideas? Daaaang
Old 08-18-2012, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

New question.. What timing does your low compression. Turbo setup run around 10-12 psi
Old 08-18-2012, 01:54 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Your questions are circular. Answer: the timing that was set by the tuner. Again, it doesn't mater what anyone else's timing is set at.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why is it then, that when someone posts 30 degrees total timing, people say, thats extreme!! If the tuner puts it to 30, then it must not be that high?!
Old 08-18-2012, 02:25 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

OP
you seriously need to see a tuner on this question/issue
we can tell you need to set timing 30 over and your engine can go boom!
each engine is different from the next. the gas, climate, compression, turbo, injectors, spark plugs and im probably missing something play a factor bruh. id rather have it done right by someone that owns a dyno rather than play a guessing game.

if you want to experiment then go right on ahead
Old 08-18-2012, 03:52 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That's because 30* on a boosted B-series is very high... In response to a magic number, some tuners will not even set base timing on a distributor or advance it a couple degrees and go from there. This is what people are trying to get at - you still haven't posted ANYTHING to really help you out. The other problem is it seems not too many LS/VTECs are alike when it comes to tuning. I am assUming you don't know a lot about tuning since you are starting with 1.5* pulled for every psi. That is a lot by any standard. Typically 1.25* is the high side of caution and .75* "usually" lands you where you need to be. So to put an end to this pointless thread - 18-20* is around the typical "safe point" for VTEC WOT end timing. 13-14* is usually for the low side of the cam (out of VTEC)... Assuming you are maxing out a stock MAP sensor.

All of this would have been EASILY searched. Have fun rebuilding your engine...

PS - I am one of those people.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Holy ****.. An actual answer.. Thanks for the advice.. I Google it and nothing really came up.other than the standard 16* base and how to tune timing in general ie: reading plugs and using a det can, etc.. Im going to try .75 tomorrow with my new detcan and hopefully it pulls alot harder.. Im afraid to run any higher boost without getting a pro to tune it.. I've got a 4bar and pwm, but ill prob just blow it up with that lol
Old 08-19-2012, 05:15 AM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

out of curiosity
why havent you had a tuner tune your vehicle?
Old 08-19-2012, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Because i just got the engine together... Instead of dropping 600 for a neptune with a chip and possibly breaking down, i bought s300 so i could get it running and shook down before driving 3 hours to the nearest tuner.. Its going to be winter soon, ill get it tuned in the spring
Old 08-19-2012, 09:50 AM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

this is what i did everyone and every tuner is different
rebuilt my motor from the ground up
drove for 1500 n/a (break in period and procedure)
took it to the tuner to the tune car n/a with my low compression and setup so he can have a base map to work with. he also set it up to see boost, but recommended me to not go over 5lbs until we do the injectors and so on
went back to the tuner after i installed my turbo kit and components
car runs badass

my tuner thing was for me to get all the kinks worked out while its n/a because itll be easier to pin point the issue. it worked for me and i and give that advise to my friends. yeah i paid for two dyno sessions but it was worth it
Old 08-21-2012, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

two dyno sessions is 1000+ up here.. the car is running great, and will run even better once it get it to a tuner.. i just wanted to open it up a bit more.. added 2 psi and lots more timing and its now insane.. all turbo lag has basically disappeared and its replaced with tire spin lol
Old 08-21-2012, 03:16 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

i dont know about your tuner but mine doesnt take all day to tune
n/a setup took him about an hour
turbo setup took him about 2hrs about 45min.
$1000 bucks...are you sure about that?
i know n/a tune and turbo are different in price and time. my n/a tune was just to set my fuel correctly more or less
Old 08-21-2012, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by lsturboguy
two dyno sessions is 1000+ up here.. the car is running great, and will run even better once it get it to a tuner.. i just wanted to open it up a bit more.. added 2 psi and lots more timing and its now insane.. all turbo lag has basically disappeared and its replaced with tire spin lol
Damn thats allot! id say have fun with it if it runs good and tune it when you can, but if it goes boom! dont say that we didnt warn you for playing with fire.

Last edited by wunfstgsr; 08-22-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which holset r u running?