Notices

Serious issues with my head...baffled on this one

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Serious issues with my head...baffled on this one

I've been having smoking problems on my car ever since i have put this previous motor in. I thought it was the turbo because my old turbo was pushing oil into the pipes, but a new turbo didn't fix it so i assumed it was the rings that were bad from the start. I did a leakdown and it looked really good so i thought hey maybe its the valve seals...plus it had some wet oil in the exhaust ports on two cylinders. I pulled my head off, replaced the seals, and put it back together. I drove it for a few miles, boosted it, and everything. Then while i was driving around it just locked up on me. Turns out it jumped timing and bent two exhaust valves on cylinder 3 and had wet oil covering that exhaust port bad. We replaced those and put the head back on. Upon startup the car ran very badly yet had perfect compression straight across. It was sparking off time and pulling no vacuum( we later found out the woodruff key on the cam had sheared in half and thrown the cam timing off big time which was causing this). Before we discovered the cam issue i went out on a whim and bought a longblock a friend had for $50 which was in unknown condition other than it having a brand new water pump, timing belt, and headgasket. This was only to be temporary until i finished building my built block.

This motor turned out to be a piece of **** and only ran on three cylinders upon startup. We discovered two bent exhaust valves on cylinder two this time. We slapped the old head back on(with another set of new oem valve seals for good measure), replaced the headgasket with a new oem, and fired it up with the stock cam. It ran great other than it having rod knock plus a ton of smokage issues . I did a leakdown to find the source of the smoke and this motor again had great leak down with the worst cylinder having about 6%. Yet i could not figure out why there was sooooo much oil smoke upon revving the motor, giving it load, deceleration, everything.

So now i pulled the motor out again to put in my new motor and the head has a ton of wet oil in two or three of the exhaust ports. I think at this point its looking like the source of my oil loss is from the head. I thought maybe it was the valve guides, but when i bent those valves only the head of the valves bent and not the shaft. Does anybody have any idea what this could be? I'm just baffled at this point. If need be i can use one of the other heads i have laying around, but this one is very clean.

Sorry for the long post guys. Hopefully if any engine builders have the time to read it they can help me out