Notices

Serious Dilemma... need EXPIERIENCED INPUT, not a flame war...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2002, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serious Dilemma... need EXPIERIENCED INPUT, not a flame war...

Hiya... I need your advice on the whole SOHC thing... here's the scoop... my buddy has a crx dx with a d16z6 and a junkyard turbo setup I helped put together. It runs a 13.6 with a slipping clutch and street tires AS IT SITS. I know this car like its my own. Ive helped put together every aspect of this car. Anyway, I have a JDM GSR motor.

SOHC Guys -- before you loose intrest.. hear me out

Anyway, my buddy just had a kid and is getting rid of the CRX so I was going to buy the rex, and use his fuel setup and boost the GSR motor I have. Here lies my dilemma: I got laid off and am not making **** for money right now. My dilemma is... Should I buy internals, fuel management, ect for the d16 and run 20psi at the track with money I got from the sale of the GSR OR should I just hold out and just turbo the GSR? Im looking to run some mid 11's.

Before youre like "dude you cant run 11's with 3200 bucks.. hear me out:

The car already has a adequate FMIC, 255lph fuel pump, FMU (will be sold for hondata), and RC310cc's (which will be sold for 550's), all the turbo piping, and I already have a turbo capable of boosting around 20psi. I just need to buy internals, and a hondata, and a few things like slicks, Z-10's, DSS axles, ect.

ANYWAY -- I Dont want this thread to turn into a big debate over wether it is better to boost a D or a B series. I want to know from personal experience if its really viable to do this thing on a SOHC, or just wait and build the B.

Once again... Thanks for not turning this post into a big flame war, and keeping this on the topic.

[Modified by N8, 5:50 PM 8/15/2002]
Old 08-15-2002, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Serious Dilemma... need EXPIERIENCED INPUT, not a flame war... (N8)

From what your sig says I think you already made up your mind. So why ask?
Old 08-15-2002, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a few people here are in the 12's with their sohc i'll let you know if i break into the 12's with my setup(look at sig) but i'm also gonna add a 50 shot....75 if i'm desperate..

but seriously if you are gonna get a job and have a steady income why not use the gsr motor.. but if you don't have the fund stick with the sohc...

but whatever you choose good luck.
Old 08-15-2002, 06:52 PM

the single cam will be cheaper whichever way you cut the cake (lighter car, already turbo'd etc) and nobody takes a beating and abuse like a good old single cam. If you helped build the crx then you should know whether or not its a good car and whether or not it will last you for as long as you need it to, as for the GSR running 11's its going to cost you mad cash, u can't avoid that. The ball is in your court.
Cheap, Fast, Reliable choose any two and see what gets left behind.
Old 08-22-2002, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Serious Dilemma... need EXPIERIENCED INPUT, not a flame war... (maddskilzz)

B18C1

Jeramy
Old 08-22-2002, 06:59 PM

"I just need to buy internals, and a hondata, and a few things like slicks, Z-10's, DSS axles"

By internals you probably mean rods, pistons, completely new valve train, sleeved or blockguarded block, port n polished head, etc... That alone could run you more then what you would get for the GSR motor.

Hondata 2B (which I believe would be what you get) will cost you $450 on a good day, Z10 traction bars around $350, DSS stage 2 axles around $400.

To be honest with you, you'll wind up spending a lot more than $3200. That is, of course, if you want to do everything right. Now, you could keep the GSR, find a reliable job, and once you get the funds build the GSR to no end and you'll definately be in the 11s.

But you could also turbo the GSR now and see what kind of 1/4 mile times you get. I'm assuming the stock d16z6 was only boosted at or around 6 - 8 psi? 6 - 8 psi is the safe-haven on the stock d16 motor. Sure you could boost higher, but who knows how long that will last.

(This isn't from experience, but this is what I have read in the past) Now with the stock GSR motor, you could boost 11 psi and feel fine about your internals if, and only if, your internals are in good shape to begin with. The GSR is a good powerplant to begin with and in a REX, I would put money on that Turbo'd GSR to hit 11's all day (with traction).

"Speed costs money...how fast do you want to go?" (stole that quote, but it seems to fit in this thread)

Good luck!!
Old 08-22-2002, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Serious Dilemma... need EXPIERIENCED INPUT, not a flame war... (mntdewred)

Now with the stock GSR motor, you could boost 11 psi and feel fine about your internals if, and only if, your internals are in good shape to begin with.
11psi? Um... no. Sorry dude... Ive seen a friend blow several USDM GSR blocks trying to run ~11 psi on stock internals. I have a JDM GSR which has higher compression. Im pretty much sold on the SOHC. Besides its already pissing a lot of people off around here that theyre getting beat by a sohc.
Old 08-22-2002, 07:59 PM

11psi? Um... no. Sorry dude... Ive seen a friend blow several USDM GSR blocks trying to run ~11 psi on stock internals. I have a JDM GSR which has higher compression. Im pretty much sold on the SOHC. Besides its already pissing a lot of people off around here that theyre getting beat by a sohc.
"(This isn't from experience, but this is what I have read in the past)"

Like I said; I have no experience with that situation. That was only what I've read.

Since you are deadlocked on the sohc, best of luck to you and you'll see 11's in no time!

[Modified by mntdewred, 12:00 AM 8/23/2002]