Notices

Sensor question

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sensor question

What do I do with the air temp sensor when I install my turbo? to I have to hook it into the charge pipe?

Modified by monicle at 2:21 PM 3/15/2004
Old 03-15-2004, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Sensor question (monicle)

Do NOT hook it into the charge pipe or you will get a boost leak. You do not need the AIT so just zip tie it to something close but try to keep it away from anything hot. I extended the wires on mine and mounted it behind the batter so it doesnt read hot air. Under no circumstances do you drill a hole in the charge pipe and mount it or you WILL get a boost leak and now you will have to pay someone to weld the hole shut.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sensor question (turbocivic96)

You need the IAT to read charge temps for a reason. Install it properly into your charge pipe, so there are no leaks, or alternately you can fit the IAT into the intake manifold like it was in the OBD0/1 cars. I have done both for forced induction applications.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Sensor question (J. Davis)

You actually dont need the AIT sensor. Its purpose is to tell the computer the temp of the air coming in so it knows how much fuel to give it. But when you run a forced induction setup, your fuel should be controlled by an alternate source like Hondata or even if you want to go cheap the use a VAFC hack. I have never worried about the AIT and i think i can speak for alot of people on here when i say just tuck it away in a spot the doesnt get really hot. If you want it that bad in the pipe then just mount it in intake part of the turbo (before compression).But do what you want with it and you dont have to take my advice.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbocivic96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You actually dont need the AIT sensor. Its purpose is to tell the computer the temp of the air coming in so it knows how much fuel to give it. But when you run a forced induction setup, your fuel should be controlled by an alternate source like Hondata or even if you want to go cheap the use a VAFC hack. I have never worried about the AIT and i think i can speak for alot of people on here when i say just tuck it away in a spot the doesnt get really hot. If you want it that bad in the pipe then just mount it in intake part of the turbo (before compression).But do what you want with it and you dont have to take my advice.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hondata needs that sensor to read the Intake air temp. Then it adjusts the fuel accordingly. Listen to J.Davis and me, install it in the charge pipe. You need that sensor regardless of any type of fuel management your using.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:37 PM

Default Re: Sensor question (sneakypete)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sneakypete &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Hondata needs that sensor to read the Intake air temp. Then it adjusts the fuel accordingly. Listen to J.Davis and me, install it in the charge pipe. You need that sensor regardless of any type of fuel management your using. </TD></TR></TABLE>

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=336280
Old 03-16-2004, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=562357
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=455553

The car will run with the sensor not hooked up. You will probably recieve code 10. Just hook it up monicle. If it wasn't necessary honda wouldn't of put it in the engine.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sensor question (sneakypete)

no I have it hooked up I actually found that I have 2. The one from the origional civic harness (connects to the intake tube) and the one on the b18c manifold. So now what Im going to need to do is find out which one the ECU is actually seeing right now and just get rid of the other one.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:52 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbocivic96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You actually dont need the AIT sensor. Its purpose is to tell the computer the temp of the air coming in so it knows how much fuel to give it. But when you run a forced induction setup, your fuel should be controlled by an alternate source like Hondata or even if you want to go cheap the use a VAFC hack. I have never worried about the AIT and i think i can speak for alot of people on here when i say just tuck it away in a spot the doesnt get really hot. If you want it that bad in the pipe then just mount it in intake part of the turbo (before compression).But do what you want with it and you dont have to take my advice.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Remind me never to have you work on my car.