Notices

Oh what a day

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oh what a day

Well... my motor died today. yes... it's still in N/A mode too. dunno what happened yet. i was driving today... just cruising along. came upto a light and i had it in neutral. i put it back in gear as traffic started moving and drove 10ft... then it felt like it hit a brick wall (power just disappeared). then it started driving a lil then sputtering then finally died. luckily i was right by the light so i could turn off the main road. well checked a few things. no leaking oil and it was all there, no smoke, plugs fine, all sensors seem to be plugged in, no CEL, coolant all there, the hondata still turns on, etc. I did a compression test i got basically NOTHING in all 4 cylinders. A friend recommended to check all the fuses just incase (you never know)... although i doubt it's electrical. one other thing i thought of was the timing belt jumping teeth or something. oh well just venting. i'll keep you all posted on what happens.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:14 PM

damn. sucks ***. someting loose?
Old 02-26-2004, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bluep3)

your timing belt skipped or broke 90%
Old 02-26-2004, 09:24 PM

Default Re: (racinskittle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by racinskittle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your timing belt skipped or broke 90%</TD></TR></TABLE>

Most likely skipped a tooth or two....would explain your low compression test numbers. Basically your valves are opening at the wrong time (during the compression stroke). Your compression is probably bleeding off through your valves.

Give your timing belt a looksy
Old 02-26-2004, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (InfamousRS)

yeah this happened to me. Dont take off the cover or anythig (you can leave that stuff on). There's markings right on the cover. You can check it to see if the cams are line up and that the cranks at TDC.
Old 02-27-2004, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yah i gotta check it out after work i guess. just annoys me... carless again damnit.
Old 02-27-2004, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CivicRyda2k)

well i checked it out
my frickin cam gear (stock) broke in half

i wish i had the cable for my camera to show u guys pix. but this is weeeird. the cog just like sheared off into two pieces. then went the timing belt. so now i'm guessing i have to pull the head to check the valves is there any way to check if everything is ok without pulling the head
Old 02-27-2004, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Get another belt and cam gear on there and reso the compression test? Probably not the safest method... Goodluck
Old 02-27-2004, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbozxi)

yah i thought about that. i wanted to build the head. and i have my spare y8 head here. so i'm considering doing that (building the z6 head on it now)
Old 02-27-2004, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicRyda2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yah i thought about that. i wanted to build the head. and i have my spare y8 head here. so i'm considering doing that (building the z6 head on it now)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry to hear Marc!!
Now is a good time to port that head and put it on!!! Full valvetrain with a big cam!!! Consider this a signal from god. (And no, I'm not religous).

Ninjas don't die!!!
Old 02-27-2004, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ladysman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ladysman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Ninjas don't die!!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

lmao
why do i wanna reply to that by saying "we multiply" lol
thanks man i'm thinking about doin it... it's just the $$$ right now. i'd at least like to go for springs and retainers and maybe a mild port job and a cam. my friend's dad owns a machine shop so ill see.
Old 02-27-2004, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicRyda2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

lmao
why do i wanna reply to that by saying "we multiply" lol
thanks man i'm thinking about doin it... it's just the $$$ right now. i'd at least like to go for springs and retainers and maybe a mild port job and a cam. my friend's dad owns a machine shop so ill see.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Personally, if you are low on cash, just get the springs, retainers and cam. Port isn't needed all that much. Good luck!!!
Old 02-27-2004, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ladysman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Personally, if you are low on cash, just get the springs, retainers and cam. Port isn't needed all that much. Good luck!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks again. any suggestions as to where to get them from. i was looking at ferrea springs and retainers on Race Engineering's site. totaly was like $470 for a set of springs n retainers.
Old 02-27-2004, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicRyda2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

thanks again. any suggestions as to where to get them from. i was looking at ferrea springs and retainers on Race Engineering's site. totaly was like $470 for a set of springs n retainers.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is where I got mine. I also got the forged keepers but I don't think you will need them.
Old 02-27-2004, 06:31 PM
New User

your stock cam gear broke in half? thats weird...
Old 02-28-2004, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SIK IN DA HED)

yah ain't that some *****. oh well i'm looking into getting either skunk2 or ferrea springs and retainers, and possibly that zex cam. ill see how it does on brian's (turbodcx) car.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well I need to make a decision...

1) put on a new cam gear and belt, set everything and hope it fires up ok (cheapest route)
2) pull the head, check it out, get a new headgasket put it back on if ok... if not... decide from there (not so cheap depending on the outcome and is a hassle too)
3) pull the head, get a new headgasket, throw on my y8 head i have sitting around (hassle)
4) pull the head, and since it's off, sell my turbo and use the money to do the valvetrain/fix it, then put it back on and push the turbo setup back till like summertime.

not sure what to do. some friends say to put it back together as is and see how it starts. any recommendations? either way it's gonna be some kinda hassle because i can't work on my car in my neighborhood so i'd have to tow it somewhere just to do my own damn work
Old 03-03-2004, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry to here the bad news marc. hope everything works out for the best.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do you want to spend money right now? That's the big question. If you really want to build a head...go for it.

If not, give this one a chance at least
Old 03-16-2004, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

update:

bought Zex 105300 camshaft, crower springs and retainers, the head is at shop to get p&p'ed and 3 angle valve job all going into a spare d16y8 head i thought i had sold lol
Old 03-16-2004, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry to hear Marc!!
Now is a good time to port that head and put it on!!! Full valvetrain with a big cam!!! Consider this a signal from god. (And no, I'm not religous).

Ninjas don't die!!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol just re-read that and started laughing lol
Old 03-16-2004, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why are you selling tthe turbo?
Old 03-16-2004, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oh what a day (CivicRyda2k)

just wondering...since your going turbo..would you get a high power timing belt like the greddy or toda or would you rather stick woith a normal one? i know they are more expensive but in your case would it be worth it?
Old 03-17-2004, 02:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbozxi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbozxi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why are you selling tthe turbo?</TD></TR></TABLE>

going with an SC61 since the head will be built. I could stay with this turbo I guess but why not maximize the potential I guess. That and I didn't think I'd have all the $$$ to build the head now.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oh what a day (JDMwhiteDC2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMwhiteDC2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just wondering...since your going turbo..would you get a high power timing belt like the greddy or toda or would you rather stick woith a normal one? i know they are more expensive but in your case would it be worth it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

never actually thought about that. I'm pretty sure stock one should be sufficient though

Quick Reply: Oh what a day