Notices

Semi-Built B16 Knocking? Engine Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Semi-Built B16 Knocking? Engine Noise?

I recently bought a 81.5mm 10.5:1 SRP with eagle rods B16. Head has crower springs and retainers with gsr cams. Everything was fresh out of the machine shop. I have about 150 miles on this engine so far and I notice a slight knocking sound when driving around 1500-2500 rpm. Noise goes away after 3k. I can hear the same sound when the car is cold idling, but when the car comes to running temps I dont hear the noise as bad. Could it be knocking or is it something else? I have another built B16 and have other built engines, but never noticed this noise.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Semi-Built B16 Knocking? Engine Noise?

What kind of bearings did they use? Did the shop clearance your bearings properly? If you have metal shaving in your oil might as well pull it apart now.. That would mean the bearings were installed to tight and oil cant flow properly, Or if your P2W Clearance is loose that can cause piston slap..
Old 09-17-2010, 12:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check your valve lash?
Old 09-17-2010, 05:25 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by Professor_X
check your valve lash?
that is the first thing i would check^^. but that is more of a ticking sound
Old 09-17-2010, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

They used ACL Race bearings. Valve lash is good now, when I got the engine from the guy the valve lash was so tight that three of the cylinders had no compression. I usually go through engines before I put them in, but since this one was from the machine shop I let it ride.

This morning when I cranked it I heard it knocking pretty good until the oil pressure went up. I didn't drive it and I will be pulling the engine out in the next few days and going through it.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kte324
They used ACL Race bearings. Valve lash is good now, when I got the engine from the guy the valve lash was so tight that three of the cylinders had no compression. I usually go through engines before I put them in, but since this one was from the machine shop I let it ride.

This morning when I cranked it I heard it knocking pretty good until the oil pressure went up. I didn't drive it and I will be pulling the engine out in the next few days and going through it.
The race bearings are much looser than regular. The knocking is probably from this until everything comes to temp and has expanded a little and the oil thickens.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by blaze the chemi
The race bearings are much looser than regular. The knocking is probably from this until everything comes to temp and has expanded a little and the oil thickens.
That's what I was thinking, but this is going to be a ~300whp dd so I would like to to last a year or two. I am just going to go through it with OEM bearings and micropolish the crank.

I have heard some cars with start-up noise/knock, but don't knock after oil pressure is up. How long do they last?
Old 09-20-2010, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kte324
That's what I was thinking, but this is going to be a ~300whp dd so I would like to to last a year or two. I am just going to go through it with OEM bearings and micropolish the crank.

I have heard some cars with start-up noise/knock, but don't knock after oil pressure is up. How long do they last?
I'm not too sure how long it'll last. I did mine with ACL bearings and luckily they came in at 0.0015-0.0017 on all of the big bore bearings.

I had mine turbo'd for 17K miles before I took the kit off. My engine is about 52K miles old now.

If your engine is out of the car (just easier) i'm sure you could switch out the bearings to OEM. Never tried that though.

If your machine shop kept the blueprint of the motor then you'll be able to find out which color bearings you'll need to buy from Honda. Of course double check the clearance once installed.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I took the engine out over the weekend, but haven't pulled it apart. I am thinking about sending it off and getting rebuilt. I really don't have the time to fool with it, having work and school.

Any ideas on a machine shop to send it to? I would like it balanced and blue printed.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd do it for you, but I myself have been really busy lately. If I recall there are really good shops in Montgomery or even Birmingham since you're down in Columbus. I can't recall the names of shops though. Find people in the Dang!(spelling) group.

There are some good people up in Atlanta as well. Batlground in Smyrna, GA could either do it or point you in the right direction.

Hit up the forums on soloatlanta.com or importatlanta.com to get ideas.