Notices

seeing full boost but no pull..what could be wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 01:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seeing full boost but no pull..what could be wrong?

this is the setup:
- B16a stock internals
- garrett t3/t4 turbo
- tial copy external wastegate
- blitz bov
- greddy tvvc mbc
- spearco intercooler
- dsm 450cc injectors
- walbro 255lph fuel pump
- msd 6A with msd blaster ss coil
- ngk sparkplug 7 heat range
- chipped p08 ecu running crome

it was tuned at only 6psi of boost not long ago as the stock fuel pump cant provide anymore juice up top. i was using uberdate at that point and the car pulls strong.

when i finally got a walbro fuel pump we decided to turn the boost up to 10psi and use crome. we're only doing street tunning.

on the street, we tuned part throttle first and the car drives great but as soon as we turn up the boost to 10psi the car just run faster but the "pull" was not there. in short, whether i'm in 5psi or 10psi of boost both just run the same. no pull on 5psi and no extra pull on 10psi. it feels like an all motor engine. the boost gauge is registering 5psi when we set the mbc to 5psi and 10psi when mbc is in 10psi and the boost reading doesnt taper off even at higher rpm. idling is steady and low rpm driving is great and responsive.

we checked cam timing, piping for leaks, turbo shaft play, change to new set of spark plugs and gap it to .25 but still no improvement. we test the vtect solenoid by hooking the 1p connecter to a 12v source and it is clicking. we also hooked up an oil pressure gauge on the head to see if its getting any oil pressure during idling, high rpm run and the supposed vtec crossover. i tried running without the mbc by hooking up the wastegate directly to the boost source and tried running open downpipe but the "pull" is still not there.

we tried switching back to uberdate but still the same problem. we also noticed that at higher rpm, the engine sound seem constant but we could feel the car jerking forward at a constant rate as the engine rpm goes up. sometimes the car would jerk/choke when boost hits. the engine sound like an all motor engine at high rpm.

i did a valve lash adjustment today and set it at .006 intake and .007 exhaust. i'll be checking the vtec solenoid filter also for clogging as well as do a compression test and see if there will be an improvement.

anybody experience this kind of problem before? or know what's causing it? can this be a sign of losing compression? this is very disappointing.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: seeing full boost but no pull..what could be wrong? (_Endless_)

maybe ur clutch is slipping a bit, just enough to not grab.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: seeing full boost but no pull..what could be wrong? (95dc2teg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95dc2teg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">maybe ur clutch is slipping a bit, just enough to not grab. </TD></TR></TABLE>
it could be. I've seen it before on a car. The car just didn't pull for **** yet pulled steady and didn't seem to be slipping. I had to load it up in 4th gear on steep hill to get it to really noticably slip. We put in a new clutch and it was good to go.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: seeing full boost but no pull..what could be wrong? (95dc2teg)

whats your a/f at? what octane fuel? also how much timing up top?
Old 02-03-2008, 04:59 PM

maybe your stock b16 just isnt making any tq! jk lol. id bet its the clutch just barely slipping.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:12 PM

Default Re: (patrick4588)

ybe you need to give your tuner some hot chics next time you go there hehehe
Old 02-04-2008, 04:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (speedworksengineering)

i'm sure they get lots of hot chick whenever they want to...

anyway, my tuner said the clutch is not yet slipping. we will observe it once more. i believe a/f is at 12.5 and i'm using 96RON fuel. i didn't get to know where timing is up top. i hope this is nothing serious. i'd rather had the clutch slip than something wrong with the engine.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:22 PM

Default Re: seeing full boost but no pull..what could be wrong? (_Endless_)

I would also like to know what this problem is cause Im having the same problem your having right now.