Notices

SEARCHED.....and need some opinions.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 04:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SEARCHED.....and need some opinions.....

Ok I have a B16A2 motor that I have been working on my motor gettin it ready for my turbo build. I have removed my AC and about to send my head off to get a valve job and get the plane check to make sure its level (To Be Safe). Then I am going to prolly look into ordering the follow....

CP 9:1 Pistons
Eagle Rods
ARP Head Studs
ACL Bearings
OEM Headgasket

But the thing I cant figure out after searching forever is how to build my head? I hear ferrea are the best valves to get and gsr cams are best for boosted b16's. But what about the gears get gsr also? I am going with a turbo kit from AutoWorks that is good up to 450whp. Which is just above my goal. I want to get around 400 out of this build. But the rest I am looking to order after I figure out the head is......

Precision Fuel Injectors
Walbro Fuel Pump
GM 3Bar Map Sensor
Hondata S300
MFactory Oil Catch Can
NGK Plugs/Wires
Possibly Blockguard

But I am not going to sleeve the car, so could someone look over what I am planning on for 400whp build and help me deside on the head? I'm in no hurry cause I still have to disassemble the bottom end, order the new parts, then put it all together before I go far on the heads. But I am just tryin to get an early start on this and figure it out before I finish my bottom end. Thanks everyone
Old 01-05-2008, 05:47 AM

Default Re: SEARCHED.....and need some opinions..... (B18Sleeper)

Oh and I have to replace my valves anyways 4 of them burnt up and 2 had burnt completely through, cause I prolly could get by with stock valves but I figured just go ahead and replace them with something better than stock. Is there a better option to the GSR cam or stay stock these are the only things I can't figure out. Cause so many threads cover them but it is always split down the middle and I can't find a for sure or answer that will push me one way or another. Thanks
Old 01-05-2008, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ive read a lot of good things about supertech valves. might wanna look into them.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:04 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: SEARCHED.....and need some opinions..... (philafelman)

Supertech is good stuff, I personally hadn't had any problems with them

What cams, and what turbo are you going with?

for 400whp, the head setup is pretty tried and true, a quick search will show a lot of good results.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:09 AM

Default Re: SEARCHED.....and need some opinions..... (philafelman)

Yea I have heard Supertech before and Skunk2 Valvetrains was good but I just can't figure out what would be the best valves for my setup and maybe in the future be ready for more HP.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

We've been using Skunk2 Head components (Valves, PRO Springs, Ti-Retainners & Cams) on all of ours Race/Customers cars for as long I can remember...

We use them on the Red 800+whp SFWD & White 250+whp Street Stock Hatch's, and they are both '07 NHRA champions !!!!

THE BEST

Fernando @ CFT
Old 01-05-2008, 11:19 AM

Default Re: SEARCHED.....and need some opinions..... (tunedbycft)

that is some pretty good numbers on skunk2. well that is a definate plus on those. so u have never had problems with them? but have you worked with other brands?
Old 01-05-2008, 03:13 PM

The Type R cams have shown the best boosted bang for buck, you should be good with OE b series vtec cam gears, i dont know positively but i think they are all the same. (b series vtec gears)
Old 01-06-2008, 11:15 PM

Default Re: SEARCHED.....and need some opinions..... (agrn93ls)

well should i possibly just get a head off another car change the cams to type r's and call it a day instead of changing all the valves? just an option cause i wanna make well over 400 with this block.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:22 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18Sleeper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well should i possibly just get a head off another car change the cams to type r's and call it a day instead of changing all the valves? just an option cause i wanna make well over 400 with this block. </TD></TR></TABLE>

why would you get a head from another car? who knows it could be worse than yours. No dont just fix yours that way you know what you have. The valves are often overlooked during a build and can easily contribute to varying or lacking compression issues. So get a valve job done, you can use stock valves if you want, but if you can... do all new valves and springs.

I like the skunk stuff, seems to be high quality and always leading edge technology, or should i say they seem to always be coming up with new things for us import people... and contributing to the sport.