School me, im ready for boost

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 01:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default School me, im ready for boost

After this **** deployment in iraq gets over i'm going to spend my well earned money to boost my little ride.

problem is i know nothing about forced induction, well at least not enough to make smart buys putting together my kit.

This car will be a daily driver, stored in winter, won't be running it on the track or anything..just want a good boost.

Only thing i've looked into is the JG Edelbrock kit for the 6th gen civic, looks real nice but for the price i'm sure that it could be pieced together for less.

*Cliff Notes*

I'd like someone that is as bored as me to run down a parts list on everything that i'm going to need to boost my d16y8 in my 97 civic. Don't spare any tips or details since im sure i'll need it all.

Thanks for the great forums, learned a lot and now im ready to start putting this project together, the right way.
Old 09-27-2003, 01:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: School me, im ready for boost (phreakmang)

Tnats exactly what I did, after my 5 month deployment to Iraq and kuwait, i came back and blew all my money on turbo junk, its worth it after beeing shot at so much

First and foremost make sure you get a good engine management system like EMS or Hondata. Dont screw around with hacks. The new uberdata allso looks really promising allso. As far as parts that you will need, go ahead and make use of thee search function and try search phrases like "turbo shopping list" you are bound to come up with something. Good luck and hope to see you home soon and safe

Rob
Old 09-27-2003, 02:05 AM

Default Re: School me, im ready for boost (rjardy)

Already have a hondata, that was actually the first thing i purchased

Wish we could come back in 5 months time, ****...think i've been here 5 months already....heh. Got another 6 or 7 to go, fun fun.

I've been searching a bit, but as you know using NIPR for internet access is slow as ****.

Thanks for the info man.

/stumbles back into the forums

Old 09-27-2003, 02:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you army guys hav it rough, i would go nuts after a year out there!
will here is my setup maybe it can help you out some.
b18b
je 10:1 forged pistons
Eagle rods
inlinepro manifold
tial wastegate blitz BOV
dsm 450 cc injectors
2 1/4 '' charge pipes ( i made them)
3'' downpipe (i made it)
all earls fittings and lines for iol feed and return
all couplers from http://www.bakerprecision.com
presicion sc 32 turbo (Cantact my boy Arturbo )
EMS 30-1000
sparco intercooler
all on a fresh rebuild (after break in was over)

Oh yeah all GREDDY guages, but that doesnt matter. Some good turbo gauges are, fule presure, exhaust gas temp, and of course boost presure.

HTH

Rob
Old 09-27-2003, 05:31 AM

Default Re: School me, im ready for boost (rjardy)

I personally would go buy some books on turbocharging and engine building and do lots of reading first. get to know what things do what and for why!!! after you have all the theory down you will be much better off. I am glad you bought a engine manegment system! that is the first good step! now you need to decide on what your power goals are after that then its just about parts and turbos and then sticking it in your car. Last thing is to have it tuned by a competent tuner!! welcome to the darkside
Old 09-27-2003, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've actually looked at the edelbrock and it's a pretty good deal, considering it has a nice intercooler, ball-bearing T28, ignition and timing control (with larger injectors) and some other good stuff. Much nicer than ANY other kit I have seen. Despite this, it's still alot, and you already have a Hondata, so no need for the fuel/ignition management. If you really know nothing, you could pick-up "Maximum Boost" By Corky Bell...not great, but it's what's out there.
Old 09-27-2003, 11:19 AM
TurboJesse

Default Re: School me, im ready for boost (ion_four)

i would go with a max-rev kit for d series, my friend is running one on his with a t3/to4e 50 trim @7psi and the thing moves...with hte maxrev you always have room to upgrade.
Old 09-27-2003, 11:33 AM

Default Re: School me, im ready for boost (ion_four)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ion_four &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you really know nothing, you could pick-up "Maximum Boost" By Corky Bell...not great, but it's what's out there. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I read this book while I was deployed to afghanistan. Great book, about turbo's in general. Just order it from amazon.com since they'll ship to apo adresses.
Old 09-27-2003, 08:18 PM

Default Re: School me, im ready for boost (k20em2)

thanks for the info, there are a few guys here that know some about turbo's and cars in general.

i'll check out that book too.