Notices

scar on cylinder wall

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scar on cylinder wall

well. i pulled my head off a while ago, and just today i noticed that there is a scar on my number one cylinder. wtf. i can hardly catch my nail on it when i go over it i have no idea how this happened. nothing else iks wrong not on any of the other cylinders. the motor had perfect compression, but did burn oil which i suspected to be coming from my turbo since it has some bad shaft play and now needs rebuilt. heres some pics. i dont know what to do anymore, dont really have the cash to bore it a lil bigger and buy differnt pistons

thoil oil on the pistons is from me, i put oil on the cylinder walls to prevent any kind of rust.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: scar on cylinder wall (raiden571)

Could be anything from debris from any **** left in the intake/piping/turbo when you assembled it (assuming you ran a filter), a tiny metal shaving coming loose, etc. It doesn't take much to scratch the walls if its hard enough and the clearances have closed enough. My guess is the excess oil was making it burn hotter, making clearances tighter, and then a piece of crap got wedged in there. It seems to go all the way to the top, so that's probably what happened.

Also, unless you put a lot of miles on that build, it seems like there has been excessive scuffing of the sleeves, another sign of clearances being too tight.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you can not catch your nail in it, then run it. Wondering if that could be from the rings leaking through there. I assume you could hone that cylinder and put new rings on that cylinder. Take the block to a machine shop and see what they could do. I have seen people hone the blocks (old school) in their garage with a drill. Cheap and easy if you know what you are doing.

You could still see the cross hatch through the line also. Are you running rich? were you tuned?
Old 02-26-2007, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the car was tuned by a friend with crome pro. it was a safe tune on only about 12psi t3/t4 turbo. i never even got to take it to the track. im a little afraid to put it back together. im almost positive it will smoke, but how much and will it affect the longevity of the engine?
Old 02-26-2007, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: scar on cylinder wall (HiProfile)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HiProfile &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Could be anything from debris from any **** left in the intake/piping/turbo when you assembled it (assuming you ran a filter), a tiny metal shaving coming loose, etc. It doesn't take much to scratch the walls if its hard enough and the clearances have closed enough. My guess is the excess oil was making it burn hotter, making clearances tighter, and then a piece of crap got wedged in there. It seems to go all the way to the top, so that's probably what happened.

Also, unless you put a lot of miles on that build, it seems like there has been excessive scuffing of the sleeves, another sign of clearances being too tight.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Can also be from detonation, air:fuel mixture too rich, minor oil starvation, etc.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: scar on cylinder wall (xsi-t)

I would suggest to at least take that rod and piston out and inspect the ringlands. I had good compression on 3 of my cylinders even though all 4 had cracked ringlands. It was the cylinder with severe breaks that had bad compression.

Just food for thought.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:44 AM

Default Re: scar on cylinder wall (blaze the chemi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blaze the chemi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would suggest to at least take that rod and piston out and inspect the ringlands.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Id say that is a pretty good idea..Id say you should tear down the whole motor and inspect everything.If the pistons are good and the block doesnt need to be bored at all, a quick hone would probably take care of that little scratch in the cylinder and put back together with new rings.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:10 AM

i would sagest new pistons, unless you honed the block after the install of the block guard, your cylinders are probably out of round from the welding and that's what cased the problem and if t hat is the case your pistons are no good. to avoid the problem next time press the block guard in and have your block honed after install no need for the welding .
Old 02-26-2007, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no. the block gaurd was welded then went to the machine shop. if u look close, u can see where weld was decked along with the head. i guess imma pull that pistons out tonight. not really looking forward to it. is it possible to just buy rings for one piston?
Old 02-26-2007, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (raiden571)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by raiden571 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no. the block gaurd was welded then went to the machine shop. if u look close, u can see where weld was decked along with the head. i guess imma pull that pistons out tonight. not really looking forward to it. is it possible to just buy rings for one piston?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did you bore/hone before or after the block guard was welded in?
Old 02-26-2007, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

after