Notices

SC maintanence question, how to...?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC maintanence question, how to...?

Hey guys, my JRSC finally arrived, and I know it needs some work. The guy I bought it off of said the plates need to be readjusted, and it needed gaskets and new oil. Now, I don't know all that much about how the JRSC works (gonna look into that a bit more) but I was wondering if any of you guys could point me in the right direction. All of the pulleys turn with ease, the belt is in good shape, and the SC looks to be in decent shape aswell.

And one last thing. I got the alternator bracket, but I don't have a throttle cable extension. Do I need to pick this up from JR, or can I work without it? I'm sure I'll have other questions as this project continues, so bear with me.

Thanks!
Old 02-03-2006, 05:41 PM

Default Re: SC maintanence question, how to...? (SovXietday)

I dont know what plates hes talking about, and there is no oil to be added to this type of supercharger. Check for slop in the nose, and <U>smoooooth</U> rotation. Also look at the rotors closely for chipped, or flaking coating.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SC maintanence question, how to...? (sc4dr)

He may have meant the rotors, I'm not really sure. That's why I asked the question, I had no idea what plates he was talking about.

The nose looks straight and the wheel on the nose turns smoothly, nothing catches when I turn it and can turn it with ease. That was the first thing I checked. Basically he said that it began to make a noise when and as soon as it did he pulled it off. Any ideas?

And how do I see the rotors, I'd need to open it up correct? Sorry, still a little new to this.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't need the throttle bracket, you can rig something up from a flat piece of metal. To see the rotors you need to separate the charger from the intake manifold (only four screws). If it leaks oil, it needs new bearings.

Some maybe useful info: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1283655
Old 02-05-2006, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SC maintanence question, how to...? (EnzoSpeed)

That info was extremely useful thanks.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EnzoSpeed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Don’t separate the charger and intake manifold. I assure you that the blades are in excellent shape. But the aluminum threads in the charger are very soft and removing the bolts will potentially strip the threads.</TD></TR></TABLE>

After I read this, I am curious as to the importance of checking for the cracking or chipping of the coating on the rotors? I'd rather not pull it off if this be the case, the charger was pulled directly off an engine and sold to me, so bearings may not be an issue at the moment. If the coating is chipped/cracking, what is the potential problem? Overheating of the rotors and allowing them to warp??
Old 02-05-2006, 09:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only warned the guy not to separate the manifold and charger because the previous owner over-torqued the bolts and messed up the threads. You can remove it on yours, just be careful not to overtighten the bolts when you put it back together.

And checking the rotors is very important. Probably the most important aspect of buying a used charger. If the coating on the blades is flaking, it's a sign that the unit was pushed too hard and frequently overheated. It also means it was probably overspun and the bearings might be ruined.

Also, the rotors might have nicks and chips on the edges where they meet the rotor casing. This is a sign that debris made it through the charger and the damage will effect the blower efficiency. Of course, slight wear on the rotor edges is normal.